1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Visiting Arthur Wright & Son (Pics)

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot gents, I appreciate the kind words :) :thumbup:

Thanks Troy, don't forget to post your new Lambsfoot in the Guardians thread ;) :thumbup: That was my second visit to Wright's, and I must say that on my first visit, in a time when the phrase 'handmade' can mean anything but that, I was a little surprised by the operation. Those knives are really made the old Sheffield way :thumbup:

Thanks a lot Paul :) Yes, there are far worse buildings too I'm afraid. Truth be told, for one of England's largest cities, Sheffield is a pretty grotty place. The Wright's factory is about a quarter mile from Sheffield Town Hall! :rolleyes:

Thanks Gev :) No, not at all, all their knives are made on the premises, from Penknives to 10" Bowies, and even swords for the British Army! They also make blades for a couple of other cutlers.

Thanks Chin, I'll see if I can find an older pic :thumbup:

LOL! I nearly fell off my chair then Charlie! :D What a thought! :D :thumbup:

Thanks Duncan :thumbup:

2. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Jack Black, thanks for the great photos!

3. josha840

josha840

Dec 11, 2014
    Awesome report!

Their lambs foot is on my next to get list.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I like "The Wild Percy". Reminds me of Claire Foy.

5. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I saved this thread to enjoy with my morning coffee and it did not disappoint. Great stuff, Jack! As you know, I'm fond of my Arthur Wright Lambsfoot and it's fascinating to get a behind the scenes look at the folks and shop that made it. Thank you.

6. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! :D Yeah, I really don't think they would call a pub that today! :D :thumbup:

Thanks Greg :) :thumbup:

7. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Great thread, Jack! I enjoyed the tour.

It's nice to hear that their business is thriving.

I wish I had bothered to tour Camillus Cutlery's factory before it closed. Seems I took their 100+ year history for granted.

8. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Gary, I wish I had been round a lot of old cutlery factories my friend :thumbup:

9. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Jack thanks for the wonderful tour! I first opened it yesterday but didn't have time to really look, so I just scrolled through the pics quick. First thought: somebody else has to grind in the cold besides me. Really was. Had time to stroll today and not scroll. Thanks for preserving this for us Jack.

10. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks a lot Dave, I'm glad you found it of interest. Those old cutlery wheels had no windows, just big holes in the walls to let in the light, water all over the stones from the trough, and no heating except maybe a small fire (some didn't even have that). In the summer there often wasn't enough water to turn the water-wheel, so winter was the time most of the work got done. Must had been hard for sure! :eek: The French grinders lay down to grind, and had dogs to lay over their legs to keep them a little warmer! Still, I don't think there's any central heating in the AW factory! :D :thumbup:

11. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm impressed that they're still hand forging, and glad there are a couple of apprentices to keep things rolling a little longer.

12. Nursie

Nursie

Sep 28, 2005
    Thanks Jack,
    Will give you a shout when I'm next coming over to Yorkshire
    Take care
    Graham

13. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Charlie - you are on my friend! :thumbup:

Jack - again many thanks for the time you take- you ALWAYS take so much time and care to give us all here such in depth reports which takes ones mind almost back to the day as if we were standing there watching the Grinders and Cutlrs at work.

What bitter, harsh times during Winter it must have been in those old Buildings- Man what tough days they would have been- more so for the poor wee leg- warmer dogs I imagine.

14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Duncan, you're very kind my friend :) I'm afraid I don't have as much time as I did a few years back though :(

15. GigOne

GigOne

Nov 27, 1999
    Cool to see. Appreciate you sharing.

16. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Always great to see your tour pictures!! I love all the old equipment they are still using:thumbup:

17. USACelt

USACelt

May 22, 2012
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and your trip woth us. I have several of their knives and it's great to see where they're made. There are a couple of videos on British Pathe on the Sheffield steel industry, knife making included.

18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks folks :) If I get to visit again, I'll try and take some pics of the old presses, which are in the room where the forging was being done :thumbup:

19. Cory Hess

Cory Hess

Jul 1, 2014
    Great pictorial, Jack. Thanks for taking the time. The pictures remind me a lot of the Queen factory, aside from the forges, and seem very similar to the pictures people had taken at the Canal Street shop before they closed up. It's really neat to see the similarities, and just fantastic that they let you get right in there with the workers. That was my favorite part of the Queen tour, and I'd imagine that the same would hold true for you. That's living history right there.

20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks Cory, I'd always imagined the Queen and Canal Street factories to be much bigger, but I guess there was no reason for them to be. The previous time I visited Wright's, I think there were about 10 guys there, and I had a chat to a couple of them. They're all proper apprenticed Sheffield cutlers, some of whom had worked for other Sheffield firms which no longer exist. I guess most of the younger Sheffield cutlers went into other professions when the cutlery factories closed down. I wonder how many trained cutlers there still are in the city, my guess is quite a few :thumbup: