VTOKU Sprint Run

At what point do I start charging SMKW interest on my prepayment, lol!
Seriously, though, I'm on a ten month wait here...

After having a VTOKU Delica " Worth the wait" and seeing how well it is performing at holding an edge,
touch ups and the BEAUTIFUL patina.

I have a feeling the Stretch is going to be AWSOME.

I hear ya! Once they were announced KC opened up pre-orders and i was on it like the first hour. It's beyond painful at this point, lol. I think i went through the 5 stages of grief like 3 times now :)

I have two vtoku Delicas and one Endura. I also just ordered yet another vtoku Delica before they are hard to find. I spent this weekend cutting up a 5 large cardboard boxes with the Delica and it would still scrape hair off my arm!! That's something the HAP40 is not doing. I have one on Wilkins Ti grips and the second one on stock blue FRN which I kind of like. I still have a set of custom scales that I want use which is what prompted me to hunt down another vtoku Delica.

Last edited:
I have two vtoku Delicas and one Endura. I also just ordered yet another vtoku Delica before they are hard to find. I spend this weekend cutting up a 5 large cardboard boxes with the Delica and it would still scrape hair off my arm!! That's something the HAP40 is not doing. I have one on Wilkins Ti grips and the second one on stock blue FRN which I kind of like. I still have a set of custom scales that I want use which is what prompted me to hunt down another vtoku Delica.

That’s what I like to hear! I’m really liking HAP40, so hopefully V-TOKU2 will impress me as much. :)

I sure hope they release the Dragonfly soon!

V-toku2 performs much better than hap-40 in my experience. It can easily go toe to toe with zdp-189. I can't wait for the dragonfly to come out so I can run the two side by side.

V-toku2 performs much better than hap-40 in my experience. It can easily go toe to toe with zdp-189. I can't wait for the dragonfly to come out so I can run the two side by side.

Interesting... I actually prefer HAP40 to ZDP-189. I only have few months experience with the two steels though.

Vtoku2 seems to be more edge stable than hap-40. In basic daily use I have to touch up Vtoku2 less.
I'll admit that my V-Toku 2 experience is somewhat limited compared to my HAP40 experience at this point. It seemed like I had to touch up my V-Toku Delica and Manbug sooner than any of my HAP40 knives. It definitely doesn't hold it sharpness as long as my ZDP knives. However, I touch up all my knives fairly often and don't really keep track, so I may not be the best at judging these things.
I would think that V-Toku 2 should be a little tougher than HAP40. I've never had any edge stability issues with any of my HAP40 knives. My hardest users have been reprofiled to less than 15° per side and I've never noticed any issues. So edge stability is not something I worry too much about.

I'm looking forward to giving V-Toku 2 more work. I definitely like what I see so far.

For my V-Toku2 and HAP40 are similar with the exception of cutting cardboard. That is where I really see V-Toku2 keep an edge noticeably longer and still shave hair. Other than cutting cardboard they do seem similar but I've not really cut anything really tough just yet.

Interesting how the Endura took a decent time to sell out but the Delica went fast...curious how the Stretch will do, if it ever comes out

I too was able to find an Endura pretty easily but had to search for my last vtoku Delica. None of the typical on-line stores have any in stock at this point.

Still waiting for the Stretch.
But here's my Delica.

mGbGl11.jpg

I ordered a Manbug. I like checking out different steels, but it's not as big a deal to me as it is to some people. And since I don't have anything in the Manbug line, I figured this would be a good time to pick one up.

Quick update. I was on vacation for two weeks in Wisconsin and the only knife I took was a Vtoku Delica. I also slipped my Sharpmaker into my luggage thinking I would need a touch-up. Much to my surprise despite using the knife daily as I did chores for my 89 year old father-in-law I ended the two weeks with a knife that would still shave hair. I like this steel so much that I ordered yet another "back-up" Delica :)

Back