VTOKU Sprint Run

This thing gets insanely sharp as well. I'm popping hairs off my wife's arm with one swipe now. Almost comparable to Super Blue in the "easy to get sharp" department.

This steel has been very impressive in its performance for me, it has also reaffirmed to myself that I am definitely a stainless over carbon steel guy, nothing wrong with it just not for me as I don’t like that kind of upkeep. Luckily, we had a fun time together and I will soon probably be finding him a new home, probably someplace where it doesn’t rain much...like Arizona!

R8bosnr.jpg

Epj49AD.jpg

I'm not sure if it was dulled or not. I stropped the edge back to shiny as soon as I posted those pics. So as of right now, it's scalpel-like!

That was just my hotdog patina. Ketchup, mustard and relish juice. I only left it on the blade for 5 minutes and the patina is real light. It only took a couple of swipes on the strop to remove the patina from the edge.

Did the laminate take a patina too?

Because it looks like it did.
I noticed that too.

I don't usually use my pocket knives to cut food but, for whatever reason, I've used my HAP40 WC Delica to cut chicken a couple times. The core steel started to patina but I was surprised that the SUS410 outer laminate started to patina too. I've never had that happen with any other stainless blades before.

Two week (roughly) update...Latina is in full effect now, a dull grey color on the edge section and just above the lamination lines. Some orange rust has developed here and there on the “corners” of the grind such as the ricasso but not on the edge. After quite a bit of use the factory edge is still quite sharp and no chipping. This steel has excellent toughness and wear resistance.

A Latina in full effect, is never dull my friend :)

View attachment 935565 View attachment 935566 Just got my Endura and it is perfect.
I noticed in the Spyderco forum the big thread on the lamination lines.

It is really ironic that mine looks spot on as I really could care less what it looks like as long as it is heat treated properly and cuts like it is supposed to.

Can’t wait to check out the rest of them.

Dude with that pic,you just forced me to go upstairs and refondle mine..

Yes, the cladding portion took a patina as well. It's normal, I've done it with the Super Blue and HAP 40 steels too, although the HAP40 cladding didn't patina as much as the SB and Vtoku2.

Now, I'm waiting for the orange REX Millie to be released!

More pics I took this morning....
4aAotVi.jpg

vtYJn1S.jpg

1gsWQ8Q.jpg

You and me both, I believe the Rex Millie will round out my EDC rotation. Carbon steels baby!

I am surprised to see how much patina is bleeding over onto the 410, I haven’t forced any on mine and I’m seeing this effect as well.

Also, it’s a shame to see all the uneven lam lines, the one I got is perfect but clearly many aren’t. That is probably the one thing that would bother me aside from blade play, especially in a sprint.

Back