• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

W2 round bar tool steel

Hi Kevin, welcome to Blade Forums. Most of these meetings get started between 8:00 and 9:00 am. I've only been to a couple and it's been a few years ago, this one looks to be a good one, if you're interested in knife making. I hope to see ya there.

Happy New Year Don!

Did you get my last email and my apology for my goof?..... Also wondering if you've got 3 more boxes of 7/8ths for your W2 hog in Hawaii?:D

Have a great Eve and New Year's Day!

Craig

Craig, yes I did. I thought I replied but guess not, glad you received all the boxes and liked the contents :) I'll email you about the 7/8'', it's getting a bit low here.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

The 7/8'' is all gone.
I still have a good bit of the other sizes, but the small W2 is going quick and I can't find anymore, when it's gone, it's gone. I do know a few of you guys will be in good shape for a long time :D

Thanks all,

I will have a truck load of W2 at the BAM (Blacksmith Assosiation of Missouri) meeting January 20th in Ozark Mo at Tom McGinnis's shop, http://www.ozarkknifemakers.com/ Also helping Jody Muller with a damascus demo, if anyone's in the area, please stop by.

The meeting I posted above has been rescheduled for Sat. the 27th due to the ice storm. I'm not sure if I can make it at this time but I still have W2 available :D

Hey Don,
What sizes do you have around now?
Joe
P.S. That 6 inch fighter that i made is nasty. I have been beating on every piece of scrap wood I can find and the edge will not deform. It is sharper and cuts more aggresively than even the small hunters that i made from 5160 and 1080!!!!!!! It shaves some hair even though I didn't put a polished edge on it. Just one done with a 220 grit belt and a stone. I have a 12 inch by 1/4 lightweight "fighting" bowie ready for heat treat now.:thumbup:

Joe, I have 3/4'', 1-1/8'', 1-1/4'' and for you hand forgers (no press/power hammer) 1-5/8'' ;)

I will edit my first post as I sell out and I do keep it up to date.

Thanks guys!

Thanks,Don. You're a pleasure to do business with! Talk to ya again soon.

Randy,Deweyknives

Bruce.....with some of the wild stuff I have seen you make, I would hope that you have a press, a power hammer, a rolling mill and a couple of strikers on the bench just in case...either that or a footlocker full of elbow and wrist braces, a hall closet full of Ben Gay and a walk-in freezer full of ice packs:D

Joe I do have a press. I like it better than my old power hammer. Here is a pic of it.
shop04.jpg

Hmmmm....that press looks a little bit like what I think mine looks like......except mine is in 2 pieces and still in the crate. Bruce...do you all of your major blade forging on the press? (point, bevels, etc) I am not setup to make dies so I will have to have some made by a machine shop. I have 3 sets of holder, so that is a start. I like some of the funky dies that the guys from Center Cross use intheir videos.
Don....I have no clue. Whenever I get the addition built on my house for the shop, etc. It keeps getting larger.....now it will probably be 2 stories with a loft for my other hobbies....some future owner will no doubt use it as a bedroom but i will use it as a nursery for my stereo and guitar junk....lol. If Charlie Ochs is at the Gator Cutlery Club show this weekend, I may see if I can sweet talk him into letting me use his 50 lb Little Giant to bash out some bar stock. By the way. I will be gluing up the handle on that W2 fighter I forged before the holidays, so I will tryot post a pic. I guess that will be the second finished knife you have seen made from your W2. It turned out okay enough that I will betaking it with me to the show. It's not that embarrasing...lol

Can I mix and match the sizes in the first post, or do I need to buy the minimum for each size? Also, how hard is it to work W2 by hand? (no, not just by hand, with a hammer too!) Should I stick to 3/4", or could I go bigger?

Yes Steven, you can mix and match. W2 is fairly easy to forge by hand (hammer). The 3/4'' will be best and will produce a fairly large knife. The 1-1/8'' will produce knives/swords up to as large as any would want to make but a good workout by hand hammer.

That's a good lookin press Bruce.

Back