Water Treatment

After NC527's pack thread and subsequent water treatment discussion, I thought I start a thread on the matter.

I'll start with a quote by endlessparadigms:

On the ESEE site, the guys have a Survival Craft tab on the top- follow the Survival Info link, and there's an article about water purification. They review the Katadyn Vario and the MSR MIOX pen, and have good things to say about both. Granted, it is a couple years old- I'd be interested to know if this is still their recommendation, or if they've moved on...

http://www.eseeknives.com/Survival/water_purification.pdf

Reviewing that link, it seems both are excellent purifiers, obviously with a big difference in price tag and price. Does anyone have personal experiences with both? Also, how big is the Vario? It seems to be roughly the size of a .5L water bottle, but it's hard to tell from pictures.

Also, if anyone else has other favorites, please share your story.

I have the Vario and it is roughly 6" tall and weighs 15-16 ounces and works great....

I'll google up the info /specs

Description
The Katadyn Vario is the first truly new water filter to be introduced in the past 10 years. The Katadyn Vario is the first ever water filter to combine the benefits long life and fast flow in one product. The Katadyn Vario water filter combines ceramic and pleated filter technology which makes it adjustable to all field conditions.

The Katadyn Vario water filter also features Dual Piston Technology which produces the fastest flow rate on the market. Its replaceable carbon core keeps water tasting fresh and the multi-water adaptor base makes it easy to fill any water bottle, container or bladder.

Features

Combines Ceramic and Pleated Technology = Adjustable for different field conditions
Dual Piston Technology = Most efficient, fastest flow available
Replaceable Carbon Core = Keeps water tasting fresh
Multi-Water Adaptor Base = Easiest to fill and water container/ bladder

Specifications

Microfiltration Method: Cleanable ceramic disc lengthens life of primary pleated microfilter. 0.3 micron high surface area pleated glassfiber microfilter removes waterborne bacteria and cysts. Replaceable carbon core reduces chemicals, pesticides, and bad taste in water.
Output: Up to 2 quarts (2 liters) per minute.
Cartridge Capacity: Up to 500 gallons (1875 liters), depending on water quality
Weight: 15 oz.
Height: 6.5"
Hose Length: 36"
Includes: Prefilter, Cleaning Pad, and Deluxe Carry Bag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUgLc3unrBU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
One question I had about the Vario that I didn't see if the ESEE review was the length of wait time for the water to be drinkable. It mentions many times for Miox, but I didn't see anything for the Vario. Although I am an idiot and could have certainly missed it...

I pump water from vario into nalgene bottle and drink , no issues so far and beats waiting for MP1 tablets to work after using a bandana and nalgene bottle only.

I pump water from vario into nalgene bottle and drink , no issues so far and beats waiting for MP1 tablets to work after using a bandana and nalgene bottle only.

If you had to start over, without previously owning a vario, would you still buy a Vario over the other options out there ?

I was using a lightweight gravity filter and i am very interested to try a pump system instead. Drinking water is my #1 priority when I am in the wood.

well I purchased the pro hiker made by Katadyn as well and did not care for it....but to answer you,Yes for the price point and what you get & what it does ,hard to beat it :) IMO

I am going to have to watch this thread. I was looking at these yesterday and just started researching them. I usually boil water or use the tabs but get tired of waiting for water. These seem to be a better deal with just pumping and drinking.

mlrs

I have the MSR Mini Works and a Steripen Traveler. They both work quite well. The MSR does a real good job by itself but I still use the Steripen on the water just in case. It kills Viruses. To my knowlege there are no mechanical backpacking filters on the market that do that.

I was able to get my Steripen on sale at Sierra Trading Post for $30.00. They normally go for $70-$99.

I got the MSR - it attaches to my Nalgene or Backpacker directly.

Believing that 2 is 1 and 1 is none, I have a few backups - boiling & aquamira tabs

I still go back to the Vario as being the filter I like the most even though it's pretty big. Those damn Hiker Pro filters are freakin' useless. I had 3 of them. Killed two in the jungle. Put new filters in them and gave them away. Useless, useless, useless.

I also like the Miox system.

Just bougth some little micro MSR filter to put in my pack but I think I will kill this thing in no time. No way it would hold up in Peru.

good info - I've been looking at the vario and hiker pro -- sounds like the extra $10-15 is worth it!

Filters seem to be one of the hardest pieces of gear to shop for. You go to an online store and look at review and it has 4.75 out of 5 stars. Then you look at where the people are from. Boundary Waters, mountain areas with flowing streams and crystal clear lakes, etc. The 10 1 star reviews are from folks from places like Missouri where you can pick your favorite mudhole to filter water out of. Would you like a muddy creek, a muddy lake or the spring? Oh, the spring has a dead cow in it BTW. :D

Funny thing is the black waters of the Amazon tributaries seem so clear and pristine, not muddy at all, but when you filter that water the tannins clog just about any filter in under 3 quarts. It's some wicked shit to deal with. Nice to bathe in though. Man, that tannic acid will clean you quickly without any soap!

Next trip out I’m going to try my filter and see how it does around here. Just got it for Christmas and haven’t used it yet.

When I did the boundary waters in 2001, our guide scooped that crystal clear water out with his Nalgene and drank it straight without treating it. I won’t lie it was tempting but I went ahead and Polar Pured all of mine. When he got air evac-ed out 2 days later with Giardia I figured it was worth the extra 20 minutes to treat it. :D Plus he left us a man short so I had to carry a pack and a canoe. Bastard.

Got Giardia twice so I figure I'm ahead since I've drank straight from streams many more times than two.

Next trip out I’m going to try my filter and see how it does around here. Just got it for Christmas and haven’t used it yet.

When I did the boundary waters in 2001, our guide scooped that crystal clear water out with his Nalgene and drank it straight without treating it. I won’t lie it was tempting but I went ahead and Polar Pured all of mine. When he got air evac-ed out 2 days later with Giardia I figured it was worth the extra 20 minutes to treat it. :D Plus he left us a man short so I had to carry a pack and a canoe. Bastard.

I doubt is was Giardia if it only took 2 days to take him down.

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia

The symptoms of Giardia, which may begin to appear 1–2 weeks after infection, include diarrhea, excess gas, stomach or abdominal cramps, upset stomach, and nausea. Resulting dehydration and nutritional loss may need immediate treatment. The typical infection within an individual can be slight, resolves without treatment, and lasts between 2–6 weeks. Medication containing tinidazole or metronidazole decrease symptoms and time to resolution.

Point is this: many people will say they have Giardia a day or so after drinking straight from a creek and it's not what it is. Gestation periods for many bugs take a lot longer than a couple of days. That's the reason we teach to drink water no matter what if you are in a survival situation. Dehydration will kill you faster than any bug. Besides, most survival situations are not going to last long enough so the symptoms will appear once you are back in primary care somewhere most likely.

maybe a dead cow took him down in 2 days.. in regard to hiker pro filters, never had a problem with them before, but off course.. i don't filter water in Peru either! I must have built a good immunity to crap water from drinking straight from the source all those years..

If you cant drink directly from the stream, your not hiking far enough from civilization.

Back