We were all new here once

The shortness of tempers and rudeness around here has always had consequences, but many do not realize them. Delbert Ealy, who has been making damascus for a number of years, was once a member here, but felt that people were too unkind and illspirited. He said that he prefers to be an active member of more gentlemanly sites like a certain cutlery forum. Anyways, the big part of this spiel is that Delbert's skill has earned him the contract to make Benchmade's new Gold Class Balisong's blade, which means Delbert isn't your average steel shaper. The lack of common courtesy here means that we don't have all the skilled and knowledgeable people that we could helping each other out.
I hated it in my first few threads when old timers would tear me apart for mistakes. I feel that this site is like a stern father, screw up a little and you'll have a bad rep with them for a long time, do things right for a long time and you will have a good rep with them. I actually stopped using this site for a while so that I wouldn't be thought of as such a noob. I just wish that everyone would try to be nicer around here.

Connor

I find it particularly distasteful when the 'old timers' bark orders, like they have any real stake in the creating or enforcing of rules that do not exist. The vast majority of posts are retread ground, no matter the post count of the OP. You aren't supposed to bump an old thread with a question or comment, and you aren't supposed to create a new thread to make the question or comment. It seems that some members would like it just fine if the entire site were archived and everyone just searched the previous posts, no matter how little they know of what specific words to use or what kind of info they actually need. There's a problem when someone doesn't like the fact that people get to make new posts while on a discussion forum.

That some people will waste more keystrokes in demanding that someone lurk more/post less, use the search, defer to someone with a higher post count who might actually be younger, less experienced, and less educated, waste bandwidth with lmgtfy, or any asinine action other than quickly and efficiently answering the question or providing a direct link is what causes most meltdowns, pile-ons, and hurt butts.

Very well said Hardheart- I have always wondered why so many people would jump on a poster to use the search function when asking a question or rehashing an old topic. I've felt that if all I wanted to do was search a topic, I'd just start googling and save the money for a gold membership. But that's not what I'm here for, I like discussing all topics, even those horses that have been beat to death :D. I especially like when an older post has been renewed because manufacturers, models, steels, technologies, etc have changed, so now you see fresh perspectives. On top of all that, I enjoy learning from the old salts and the "n00bs" as well.

Just my relatively noob .02 cents. :D

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.
very well said.

Speaking of being new here, I am. I am looking for a kydex sheath for an Ontario Sk-5 and can't find anyone who sells them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Speaking of being new here, I am. I am looking for a kydex sheath for an Ontario Sk-5 and can't find anyone who sells them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Welcome to Bladeforums.

If you go down to the Quick Navigation box at the lower right hand corner of the screen where it says "General Knife Discussion", click on that and scroll down a little until you see "Sheaths & Such" and click on that, that's a sub-forum here that's all about sheaths.

There is also an exchange forum (scroll further on down) where items are bought, sold, and traded. But I believe that you have to be a paid member here to buy or sell on this forum.

Good luck in your search.

This a great point. I am down to three areas in the whole forum for this reason. I have totally abandoned two other forum because of attitude. Its nice to know I am not alone...Herb

I've always thought people here were decent enough to newbies. A little off topic, but I participate in other forums with other subject matter, like watches, est, horses, clothing and even one on pencils. No matter what the subject, newbies will come up with the same questions every week or so and each forum has one guy who knows EVERYTHING and one guy who wants to be monitor and so on. Anyone else ever notice this or something like it or is it just me?

In any event, there was one newbie, we may have been a little unkind to, but I just reread the 18 pages and still crack up.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/500017-short-shortsword?highlight=short+sword

I'm new in this forum & I really love this forum to found such a great forum site on my favourite tools knife.

Happens all the time with my brother in law, he just got into knives a couple months ago and I cant have a discussion with him, he knows everything but knows nothing. I was new in knives once and my grand father told me that an advice is the way up to knowledge, im happy he taught me that. Btw im new on this forum an love it, great community, great forum.

This is an excellent thread and I believe that Killgar hit the proverbial nail on the head. People that are new to the forums or just plain new to knives are going to make 'silly' mistakes or ask 'stupid' questions. To be honest, we've probably all done this at one point or another. However, the only 'stupid' question is the one that goes unasked.

Glad to see this post, I am a newbies from China.
In our country, the knife is controlled, so i come here.Hope you can learn some knowledge as well as exchanges and other people.
I do not mind criticism, because criticism will make me learn more things.

I agree. If we don't help keep subjects like knives and knife making, firearms and gunsmithing, etc. by teaching and passing our knowledge on to others we will watch our favorite pass times and interests die. Our youth and even folks later in life are the ones to carry on our traditions. I am a seasoned bbq competitor and am a member of a popular bbq forum. I see the same questions over and over again. I try to help and answer them and pass my knowledge as best I can. Yeah, some answers to questions may be kind of obvious to us because it's second nature but to a newbie it's not. And every forum is going to have those that like to insult and be holier than thou but that is going to happen on any forum. I am new to this forum and am looking forward to interacting with all on here. I am not so stubborn to think I know everything. I have worked with knives and cutlery all my life but am just trying to hone my knife making skills in a more professional way. We are always learning and I am looking forward to gleaning all I can on here.

New member from South Carolina here. I've really enjoyed my time and found this to be a very informative, courteous and entertaining community. Glad to be here!

Good thread.
I'm new here but not to forums and "discussions".
I've watched forums implode when members get too controlling and harsh. One forum I'm a senior member on started because of a typo one winter and the subsequent cabin fever hijacking...the "new" forum in 2003 and became one of the largest, most active, BBQ forums on the net. This was due to being very inclusive and specific, fair, and explicit rules and moderation. Oh, it does offer memberships now, too! Hammering a newbie for not being a "member" is bush-league.
Some people don't play well with others and need to be reminded to "be nice" and "use your inside voice".
I may or may not post very much. I'm too old to put up with juvenile behavior on a forum. But, I look forward to lurking and learning.
((In other words: if you want to play "I know more than you do..." come over to my place and ask about cooking a brisket!)) :D We've all got something to learn.

Greetings to all,
I have been checking out the forum for a few days, and figured this would be the best thread to post my first and say "hello"
I have been an admirer of folders for a very long time, but as of recently, I have started to collect. Mainly high end production knives. Being new to this, I find this forum to be very interesting and very helpful. None of my friends are really into this, so as is human instinct, we flock towards like minded people. I probably will ask a few stupid questions, so if someone does want to belittle me for it, then that's OK. I have the skin of a Rhino.
Anyway, I am looking forward to participating in this forum, and thanks for having me.

We were all new once, but we weren't all idiots.

The point of searching for info is that it's already there so it's quicker, you don't have to wait for the information to accumulate in that thread all over again. It's there for the benefit of the user, not because members here are jerks who don't want to discuss the same topic more than once.

It's also one thing to ask a question, it's another to start a new thread again for "post a pic of your favorite knife".

In terms of being rude or polite, I think it's quite rude when a new member completely ignores the years of data archived on this site and just treats the forum/members like a drive-thru.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Back