We were all new here once

Yes I agree let them old timers understand we are. Of here to be stepped on but to learn. I myself have learned from books only and o e person, getting on the blade forum has great for me, I now can talk about knives with so.ekne who knows something, and gat other points of views.

Hello, my name is Rich and I'm a knife addict. I've been collecting knives for twenty years now and don't want to stop. My favorite knives are custom made Bowies,even tho I own some production made fixed blades and folders. Well, glad to make your acquaintance.Good day.

Wow, what did I miss?

I am fairly new and really haven't been in too many areas of the forum but, whenever I've shared or asked questions I've never felt disrespected. Maybe is it because I apologize in advance?

I have read a few posts that were particularly harsh but after reading what was originally posted I would say for the most part that criticism was justified whether or not the target was trolling.

I do agree there's no need to hammer a noob who has asked a previously asked question. Knives are thousands of years old and have changed very little, why should the questions?

There are some on here that only frequent the forum to feel better about themselves by acting superior and new members make for easy targets. That said, it can get old seeing the same threads over and over, but that's just part of any forum. If I'm not going to take the time to contribute, I just move on and don't even read the thread. I don't go into the thread just for the purpose of posting some wise-ass comment.

Disclaimer - none of the above applies to W&C :) If you come in there you get what you get...

I. To am a knife addict. I also wake each day with knife making only mind. I have no .ore friends drove them away from talking about knife making.

Wow, what did I miss?

I am fairly new and really haven't been in too many areas of the forum but, whenever I've shared or asked questions I've never felt disrespected. Maybe is it because I apologize in advance?

I have read a few posts that were particularly harsh but after reading what was originally posted I would say for the most part that criticism was justified whether or not the target was trolling.

I do agree there's no need to hammer a noob who has asked a previously asked question. Knives are thousands of years old and have changed very little, why should the questions?

It has been inferred that I will go on to molest a whole girl's college dorm, based on my choice of using a cleaver to clean large amounts of squirrels. :mad:.

Here's to the Richards like him,
Connor

For the most part, people here are nice, and can be very helpful. There are some here that have an incredible knowledge base to draw from.

The people are also very diversified in their interests and collections. To some, spending 30 dollars on a knife, is a big deal.
It may not be that they don't want to spend more, but circumstances limit it.
On the other side of the coin, we have people here that drop thousands of dollars on knives, on a regular basis...
I've found that some of the people with the nicest collections, are often the first to offer help.

While most of us are from the U.S, we also have many people from different countries. Sometimes the way things are percieved in typing, can come across wrong. They may not have intended for their reply to sound rude, but it got lost in translation.

For those of us that have been here awhile, I think it is a good idea to go back occassionally, and read OUR first post here. I have read mine, and it wasn't anything like I remembered it being. :D

I don't mean to be preachy, but those of us who have been here awhile know that sometimes newbies don't always receive much in the way of patience and understanding. Sometimes it's easy to jump on those who are new to knives, know less than we do, or simply have different tastes in knives. Sometimes criticism comes a little too easy on internet forums.

Remember that we were all new to knives once, we didn't know anything. And if we were lucky someone with a generous amount of patience and understanding was willing to take the time to teach us, even if it meant pushing their patience and understanding to the limit.

How many of us can say that every knife purchase we made was a smart one. How many of us at some point have bought a knife simply because we thought it was "cool", or "tactical", etc. How many of us have bought knives from questionable companies with silly marketing. I doubt that any here are perfect.

In my humble opinion, this forum should be about more than personal entertainment, it should also be a place to provide guidance to those who are new to this "hobby", even if that means exerting a bit more patience and understanding. After all, how would we want to be treated if we were new here? In the end, we can teach newbies a lot more with patience and understanding than with insults and criticism.

Of course, if you've been here a while then you better have thick skin, because you're fair game ;).

Just my thoughts.

I concur, I'm not new to forums but two individuals were EXTREMELY Helpful today and yesterday in trying to help me become a better knife sharpener... They could have easily scoffed and told me to leave it up to pro's, call me a newb etc.

Great community here

Wow! I'm almost scared to reply. Right off the bat...i am new to this forum and knives. I am helping my aging father go through his "collection", and I am definetly in foreigh territory. If i post here can any one help me find out what he has?

Wow! I'm almost scared to reply. Right off the bat...i am new to this forum and knives. I am helping my aging father go through his "collection", and I am definetly in foreigh territory. If i post here can any one help me find out what he has?

Bernard Levine's Knife Collecting & Identification.
Read the stickied thread at the top of the page (the one titled "Read This First") in order to find out the best way to ask questions.

I've seldom posted here, but I left another knife forum a couple years ago because of the attitude displayed not only by some of the posters but also the moderator of the most heavily-used discussion board. I came here because that other forum was so out of control. I edit possibly the last monthly knife club newsletter in the U.S., & I removed that forum from my list of recommended websites -- doubt there was any impact to the forum for that, but I couldn't recommend anyone go there after the name-calling I was subjected to by the moderator. I sincerely hope the same isn't happening here.

I have an old name here but I just went to a new one when I got my gold membership. The hardest thing is transferring all of my subscriptions over -Yay- Thanks for all your help and support guys.

I've been following the forum for around five years, but just got around to joining. It's been a great resource for information for sure.

My initiation here was fairly brutal ( in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth ) and this is now a much gentler place ( if you can believe it). Still it does bear reminding to be patient and encouraging with newbies - and sometimes with the dinosaurs too ;)

My initiation here was fairly brutal ( in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth ) and this is now a much gentler place ( if you can believe it). Still it does bear reminding to be patient and encouraging with newbies - and sometimes with the dinosaurs too ;)
Lol, I once witnessed a guy having to wear a 3' rubber crocodile with its front legs tied to its back legs, as it were a backpack. They called it a "Crock-O-Sh@#." I cant tell you from what group though, rules bind me.

Back