Sheath day for the Corona knives above:

fYZSxPB.jpg

Some of the knives:

NQsLPoq.jpg

RLATkgR.jpg

dPxAdej.jpg

m2YWWnO.jpg

n39rUFM.jpg

These are the knives I needed to make before I could start the batch of knives I'm taking to our big show this year. We leave on the 16th, got 42 to do. Nichole has already been working on show stock. She's made a wide variety of our wool vests, (ever wonder why its Horsewright Clothing and Tack Co?). I think we'll have 8 altogether in stock in various sizes and colors. All double wool vests her specialty. She just finished this one:

3PNWf4k.jpg

I really like that Damascus and horn handled knife, what model of that is yours? Y’alls variety of products is always cool to see, and that’s a good looking vest.

I finished up the padfolio last night and it took right under 10 hours, but I’m super happy with how it turned out! I’ll probably bump the thickness up for the body panel next time but other than that it came out great.

53335AFE-7652-4DF2-AD7A-81FD3C836F8D.jpeg
C1DBF422-9110-4216-BC78-51573B553956.jpeg

I really like that Damascus and horn handled knife, what model of that is yours? Y’alls variety of products is always cool to see, and that’s a good looking vest.

I finished up the padfolio last night and it took right under 10 hours, but I’m super happy with how it turned out! I’ll probably bump the thickness up for the body panel next time but other than that it came out great.

View attachment 1207602
View attachment 1207601

Thanks, Sporting Classics magazine said that "Horsewright makes the best handmade wool vest on the planet. Period." They are nice. Guess I'm keeping that one. The knife is a Canadian Skinner. Its not one of our standard models. I've only ever made four and for the same guy in Quebec. They've all had the same look, damascus and black water buffalo horn.

Very nice job on that padfolio, very clean!

A few leather knives I finished in the last batch too. A roundknife:

hdQjd78.jpg

41UmFrV.jpg

Each roundknife cuts out its own sheath before shipping.

And a couple of push skivers. The elk one goes to a BF member and the ironwood one is shipping out to Hong Kong.

J8CGgfR.jpg

8jO9nyx.jpg

I2tgqNJ.jpg

c6XY5g1.jpg

zwSc1bn.jpg

Who wants to go fishing? This one headed to Wisconsin:

uVtt3sO.jpg

beKUfTU.jpg

Tva9uxR.jpg

JtexRCo.jpg

Nichole keeps trucking on too: These were the lasts of the vests and now she's moving on to leather projects:

176SkRJ.jpg

O0z07Ie.jpg

Been a couple weeks since we've been able to eat in the dining room.

Last edited:
A few leather knives I finished in the last batch too. A roundknife:

hdQjd78.jpg

41UmFrV.jpg

Each roundknife cuts out its own sheath before shipping.

And a couple of push skivers. The elk one goes to a BF member and the ironwood one is shipping out to Hong Kong.

J8CGgfR.jpg

8jO9nyx.jpg

I2tgqNJ.jpg

c6XY5g1.jpg

zwSc1bn.jpg

Who wants to go fishing? This one headed to Wisconsin:

uVtt3sO.jpg

beKUfTU.jpg

Tva9uxR.jpg

JtexRCo.jpg

Nichole keeps trucking on too: These were the lasts of the vests and now she's moving on to leather projects:

176SkRJ.jpg

O0z07Ie.jpg

Been a couple weeks since we've been able to eat in the dining room.
Those look great.!

Couple more finished up for a show this weekend. My first forged blades to put handles on and also the first time trying this variation of sheath. My take on a design I saw a gentleman in Oklahoma using.
x23PwDb.jpg

H2JZaud.jpg

Made leather bill covers for a few ball caps.
Dlc4WSk.jpg

Working the multicolor stitch
FBaJJdj.jpg

kJEDOfS.jpg

I've been asked to do a leather demonstration at a knife maker event next weekend. Now just to decide what to do it on!
Thanks for looking.
Chris

Couple more finished up for a show this weekend. My first forged blades to put handles on and also the first time trying this variation of sheath. My take on a design I saw a gentleman in Oklahoma using.
x23PwDb.jpg

H2JZaud.jpg

Made leather bill covers for a few ball caps.
Dlc4WSk.jpg

Working the multicolor stitch
FBaJJdj.jpg

kJEDOfS.jpg

I've been asked to do a leather demonstration at a knife maker event next weekend. Now just to decide what to do it on!
Thanks for looking.
Chris

Really nice Chris. Saw your hats on IG was hoping ya'd put em up here great work! Sheaths are interesting.

We've been crazy busy the last couple of weeks getting ready for a show. Neck deep in alligators and paddling like a big dog. Here's where we're going, we'll leave Wednesday morning and its about a 3.30 hour drive for us:

We'd decided to try a new tactic this year and we started prepping earlier. The idea was more 12 hour days sooner so we could do less 18 hour days later. Seemed to work as we finished off last night with just a 14 hour day, the last in the shop before we leave. And, we got done just about everything on our list we wanted to do. Course before dedicating a lot of time to making stuff for a show you have your regular orders to keep up on.

Nichole modeling a pair of charmitas we just shipped out.

v8bKEAh.jpg

EAdY9l9.jpg

f6QWa0N.jpg

A real difficult sheath build. That gut hook on the harpoon shaped blade was a beech to get to not rip up stuff on the inside of the sheath:

oaqqINz.jpg

Got er done though:

eGdhhH7.jpg

So while I'm working on a batch of knives to take, Nichole is in here, normally the dining room. We'd run down to the Garment District in Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago and bought lots of silk for her wildrags and wool and canvas for her vests:

Ya2dAMv.jpg

The silk is bought by the roll and she cuts out (really she rips it, the only way to cut silk straight) 38 x 38 inch squares as her standard and some 42 x 42 inchers as well if the silk is large enough, She then serges the edges of her wildrags (cowboy scarves, cowboys don't wear scarves they wear wildrags).

EZ2A8IJ.jpg

Then each is ironed, folded, put in a plastic bag and stacked in a bin to travel. I asked her how many she did and she said she didn't know, a sheet ton, she said, which is an official accounting term I guess.

d8HSqOZ.jpg

Before the wildrags she'd done lots of misc leather items and they are already in their bins. Thats two shelves of her three shelf bookcase selection of thread for the wildrags:

0RKsOdS.jpg

ztWa6QQ.jpg

She'd also made nine of her wool vests, which i'd mentioned in an earlier post:

176SkRJ.jpg

Meanwhile I did a batch of 28 knives in four days, ( I had a batch of 32, I had to do, before I could do the ones for the show):

pqiU7Uw.jpg

And their sheaths, done in two days, here drying on the kitchen counter this morning:

t3LOgZ4.jpg

sSXpZAi.jpg

Nichole also made three (all we had the hardware for) nose bags (for feeding grain to a horse). They made their debut at last years show and interestingly everybody that has bought one, wants more. It takes three sewing machines to make these. She serges the edges with her Babyloc, then sews the leather on with her Cobra 18 and finally finishes the bag with her Janome that she uses on the vests. Thats them hanging on the rack with reins, suspenders (new product), purses etc.

xWQhrbT.jpg

Lots of spur straps, always a big seller for us:

hsrgku3.jpg

Some belts and headstalls:

MuBDvLz.jpg

D1pBWFd.jpg

And the big deal for us, cause last year these guys kicked our butt. Five travel bags:

R9vCgOx.jpg

We made seven last year and took two, the other five didn't turn out well. Well we're pretty picky. My daughter in law pulled them out of the trash and handed em out. Steve, has one, Salty has one, she has one, Logan has one and I have one. This year we got it down, made five and four are going cause one is already sold.

No shop time today. Today we load all the camping gear, the booth, all our stuff, food etc as well as product into the trailer and get ready to head out tomorrow. Time to sit around the campfire:

A7u9JCD.jpg

Whacha been up to?

Last edited:
A ton of beautiful work as always, Dave. Safe travels and have fun on the trip! Those leather travel bags are unbelievably nice.

A ton of beautiful work as always, Dave. Safe travels and have fun on the trip! Those leather travel bags are unbelievably nice.

Thank you for the kind words!

I hammered a knife together and then sat outside petty my cat for awhile.

I am exhausted LOL

Get your butt over to Santa Yanez this weekend my friend! Breathe some clean air.

Horsewright Horsewright Hey Dave, you know, you should get a hobby, something to fill in those long empty periods of time when you are not busy...like being a cat walker or something more productive.... ;)

Amazing Dave, as always simply amazing, thanks for sharing! and myself, been trying my hand at wood carving, nothing good enough to show but it's a therapeutic kind of thing to do.
G2

edited to add, here's one guy I was testing on, has some light dye on the balsa wood and carving is pretty risky if you are not careful, them knives are wicked thin and crazy sharp, one slip and adios finger!

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Last edited:
I agree 100% some real fine leather work there. Would be proud to own one. Please let me know if you have one left over from the show but I suspect that’s a long shot at best.

Thank you sir. Yeah whatever is left over will go on the website first part of next week.

Horsewright Horsewright Hey Dave, you know, you should get a hobby, something to fill in those long empty periods of time when you are not busy...like being a cat walker or something more productive.... ;)

Amazing Dave, as always simply amazing, thanks for sharing! and myself, been trying my hand at wood carving, nothing good enough to show but it's a therapeutic kind of thing to do.
G2

edited to add, here's one guy I was testing on, has some light dye on the balsa wood and carving is pretty risky if you are not careful, them knives are wicked thin and crazy sharp, one slip and adios finger!

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

A hobby G2? Oh ya mean like running a cattle ranch or something like that too? Great carving!

Amazing work Dave !!!!!! Thanks for sharing ! :)

Thanks! Ya bet.

Thanks guys and Dave, yeah what ever you can fit in those lull periods probably will help keep you busy ;)
G2

Beautiful stuff. One thing though, wearing jeans ans chaps without proper Cowboy boots is a sin where I come from. Shame!!

C1BDFD30-69A5-4630-8CF3-FEE2E5FCEBF7.jpeg

My buddy came over with his power washer to do the blocks on our little patio. He ended up doing them, the garden wall, the front patio, the porch and facade of the garden.
My thank you for him was dinner for him and his wife.
But that didn't seem to be enough so I made this belt.
And a matching camera strap. A camera strap that was the original belt but due to a gross misuse of the ruler.....
"I keep cutting it and cutting it and it is still too small"
Also poked some holes in my test scrap and am calling that a hat patch :)
The Mad Viking? His CB handle back in the 70s :)

Back