Whacha Been Up To......

Horsewright Horsewright so you’re saying you stop the welt about where the blade sits in the sheath? Top half that holds the handle has no welt?

Yep. No welt on the top half. Just a horseshoe kinda shaped welt that stops about half way up. Both sides are skivved down to zero. Teh edge never rests against or is in contact with the stitching so its simply not needed.

made up a batch of 'tactical' sheaths that strap to molle webbing
4UugZ80.jpg

jtfQT1O.jpg

They're all only few weeks old, and really a proof of concept attempts.
I think pull-the-dot snaps should hold up nicely, and on most sheaths there probably could be 2 snaps to make it more secure. (or have a second snap in the middle, between 2 molle straps)
I have another idea I haven't tried yet (but it's coming) that should make the strap more secure. Need to make a prototype to see how it'll work.

I guess I'm trying to see if I can make something new that'll work...

You might just reverse the positions of the snaps and put them on the top of the sheath. Then there is no load on them. Pull the dot will absolutely help them as well.
They are nicely made by the way.
Randy

Geez, that makes so much sense.... I’ll give that a try next time

Something else I came up with as I built more and more of this design. I use to sew all the way up to the top. This created lots of problems and difficulties. I now start my stitching groove about 3/4' to and 1" down from the top. Sure has made life easier and makes your sewing more consistent, with no loss of retention.

Ok Dave, so.....you put in a full day's work on the ranch everyday.......aaaaaaand you make something like 1,000 knives a week......plus all the tack, chaps, sheaths, holsters etc. .......aaaaand you're on the forums all the time helping people. Remind me again, when do you sleep?

Ok Dave, so.....you put in a full day's work on the ranch everyday.......aaaaaaand you make something like 1,000 knives a week......plus all the tack, chaps, sheaths, holsters etc. .......aaaaand you're on the forums all the time helping people. Remind me again, when do you sleep?

I think Dave’s horse is so well trained. That Dave can catch some Zzz’s in the saddle out on the ranch ;):p:p:D

Damm dog wakes me up at 4:30 every morning! Just a master of scheduling I guess, wait what day is it again?

I think Dave’s horse is so well trained. That Dave can catch some Zzz’s in the saddle out on the ranch ;):p:p:D
That has happened! But sometimes the view wakes ya up. Helping a friend brand last week and heading out to gather the holding pasture, come around the corner and the south end of the San Joaquin Valley:

kVCf5ZI.jpg

c3Y85vr.jpg

Nuff daydreaming back to work:

u5fHp7z.jpg

You might just reverse the positions of the snaps and put them on the top of the sheath. Then there is no load on them.
Randy

Randy, I really don’t think that will work, even if the sheath is upside down, the snap really only needs to hold the weight of knife & itself. If the snap was at the top of the sheath it would have to contend with the forces of sheathing & extracting the knife, any accidental snags on the handle...

I fought with a cobra today and lost lol !!! :) Ok so I’ve been practicing with my cobra 4, and life’s been good. So today I was 100% male and pushed luck and did what I knew wouldn’t work lol.
The pics
4D685F0C-969E-494F-A490-0706A63E0EE9.jpeg B9D763E3-B741-4033-AB13-5897AB378EA2.jpeg 93AD00E1-D46E-4F30-B429-011C1B919B3B.jpeg C3C2E711-DC0C-41B0-B650-ECF77DA2BAEC.jpeg

So this was way over 3/4” and didn’t even fit under walking foot. But if you really push it it will fit lmao. What a mistake !!!! Broke the needle #25 in three ! But you know it was doing it !!!!!!
Now I hadn’t let the barge cement dry 100% could that have affected it ??? I’m chalking this up to if don’t try , you won’t learn. I’m also thick headed Irish lol.
Comments , questions , advice all welcome :)
I post my good and bad :)

Info, all veg tan leather, 277 bonded nylon, 25 needle.

Last edited:
I fought with a cobra today and lost lol !!! :) Ok so I’ve been practicing with my cobra 4, and life’s been good. So today I was 100% male and pushed luck and did what I knew wouldn’t work lol.
The pics
View attachment 1295739 View attachment 1295741 View attachment 1295742 View attachment 1295743

So this was way over 3/4” and didn’t even fit under walking foot. But if you really push it it will fit lmao. What a mistake !!!! Broke the needle #25 in three ! But you know it was doing it !!!!!!
Now I hadn’t let the barge cement dry 100% could that have affected it ??? I’m chalking this up to if don’t try , you won’t learn. I’m also thick headed Irish lol.
Comments , questions , advice all welcome :)
I post my good and bad :)

Info, all veg tan leather, 277 bonded nylon, 25 needle.

Yep ya did. I've done it too. I changed my design on a scoped rifle scabbard for similar reasons. Ya know what Dirty Harry said: "A sewing machine has to know its limitations."

Thought ya might like this one:

OXeJ0fb.jpg

Thanks P Private Klink

Lol, yup I’ve heard that many a times :)

Beautiful knife !! That python micarta looks great too !! :)

I was curious if you used it on others :)

Back