Whacha Been Up To......

making leather stuff is something I'm very amateur with, and I don't have aspirations to go pro so I just kind of bumble along making stuff as I acquire things that require stuff to be made. Each time takes awhile since I make it up as I go along but this sheath was pretty basic and took 3 or 4 days in total.

A friend of mine encouraged me to reverse the rivets, and I'll probably do that next time especially if I make a sheath for someone else. The reason I have the ugly side facing out is to keep the back of the sheath nice and smooth. If I spent a little time smoothing out the peined rivets they'd be smooth enough and it would look better. Since this knife has been on my belt I don't think I've looked at the sheath once, though, lol.

R2HBRV5.jpg

sTuIFCh.jpg

OLWHRbZ.jpg

YDRiOU9.jpg

Last edited:
Lorien,
Are the rivets just for appearance?
Randy
The sheath does look nice.

Lorien,

I personally I like the rivets placement. I think it adds some character to the sheath. Sheath looks really nice :)

Lorien,
Are the rivets just for appearance?
Randy
The sheath does look nice.

the rivet at the bottom probably doesn't have much justification beyond aesthetics, although I like to think it reinforces the tip of the sheath

the top two rivets act as a part of a two stage lock. If the knife is inserted all the way it locks in solid enough to require a hefty thumb brace against the top of the sheath to pull it out, but if not fully inserted the secondary lock is lighter and still keeps the knife from falling out. The welt has a lock notch in it to engage the guard so the lock is sewn in as well, but the rivets can be tightened a little as things wear in. A lot of that is theoretical but so far so good- the sheath has loosened some but still has a very positive lock that's easy enough to overcome with the right technique.

Lots of room for improvement though. The fit is a little looser than I'd like and I also don't like the look of the rivets hitting the edge. Lots of little things bug me about it so I might make a couple more for friends and try to get over some of the issues I didn't get right the first time

If I understand this correctly, the top rivets are basically squeezing the welt locally so it extends into the sheath more to create the locks. Creative. I love alternate locks.
Randy

:thumbsup:couldn'a said it better myself

Why not make the welt a little wider at this point? Nice work btw Lorien. Those copper burr rivets are made in different sizes too or a guy could just grind a little off the plate before hand.

Why not make the welt a little wider at this point? Nice work btw Lorien. Those copper burr rivets are made in different sizes too or a guy could just grind a little off the plate before hand.
thank you, very much..good suggestions:thumbsup:

I did a search for Loveless welt and found this thread
That's pretty much exactly what I did with this sheath. One copper rivet is placed in line with the cam and is intended to keep it solid, (it's stitched as well, right up to the rivet) and the upper rivet serves as a less aggressive 'lock' where if you're using the knife a lot it just kind of drops in there and stays in place but allowing effortless draw.

I did a search for Loveless welt and found this thread
That's pretty much exactly what I did with this sheath. One copper rivet is placed in line with the cam and is intended to keep it solid, (it's stitched as well, right up to the rivet) and the upper rivet serves as a less aggressive 'lock' where if you're using the knife a lot it just kind of drops in there and stays in place but allowing effortless draw.

Yeah check my pancake sheath tutorial in the sticky’s. Good pics there on how to do it.

Yeah check my pancake sheath tutorial in the sticky’s. Good pics there on how to do it.
I love that thread, I picked up a lot of great information there and probably used some of it on this sheath. Thanks:thumbsup::cool:

Just a thought. You could use the Chicago screws with the through hole instead of rivets to have a simple method of adjusting tension. I use them with a rubber bushing on some holsters to provide tension adjustments. They work quite well.

Just a thought. You could use the Chicago screws with the through hole instead of rivets to have a simple method of adjusting tension. I use them with a rubber bushing on some holsters to provide tension adjustments. They work quite well.
great idea! I think I'll try that out, thanks :)

*added a little vid here

Last edited:
Thats very cool. Nice work. Seems like you're getting the hang of the machine?

Finished off a set of steak knives, handled in ironwood and quite a few other knives and sheaths too:

WaHqVII.jpg

hqifnFL.jpg

c6T6EqO.jpg

rltjMjr.jpg

This little Poco didn't even survive getting finished before it was bought. Our horse Vet was here having me sharpen his hoof knives that I made him about 5 years ago. This time of the year he sees hoof abscesses every day so uses those hoof knives a lot. His wife/assistant walked by and saw it on the workbench and said I have to have it. Can you do a matching turquoise thong and stitching? Your horses are due for their shots next month, wanna trade?

T4iUPDY.jpg

Nice work Dave. I really like the looks of that sheep horn. I get a lot of trade offers out here in the sticks in Oregon. I have tooled up my small machine shop with the results so it works out, mostly. It can make cash flow a challenge though.

Thats very cool. Nice work. Seems like you're getting the hang of the machine?

So far so good, it’s corners or turns that still bug me lol. I haven’t played at all with the tension on it. Seems to be working well from around 1/4” to 3/4” for me. Couple small oops still happening like hitting the wrong pedal, not checking thread first, etc. But all in all I’m getting more comfortable with it. I had to get over the thought it was just hit the peddle and go lol.

Great job on those knives and sheaths !!!!! :)

Back