What are you seasoned guys carrying?

That's a lot to have done to your body, hope your day to day quality of life is good. I can see how your choices would change. What other modern folders have you tried?
Oh I have a decent amount of moderns that I ve collected ,been into knives since my first.My mini grip is a staple but latell been avoiding pocket clips.I also got 4 spydercos,metal delicata and metal dragon fly ffg.I carve/whittle often so a traditional just fills the role better

Oh I have a decent amount of moderns that I ve collected ,been into knives since my first.My mini grip is a staple but latell been avoiding pocket clips.I also got 4 spydercos,metal delicata and metal dragon fly ffg.I carve/whittle often so a traditional just fills the role better
Gotchya, well thanks for sharing.

Still a spring chicken in my mid 40's. :D I'm currently liking heavier folders, by which I literally mean heavier, not 'overbuilt'. So, the Spyderco Shaman, the Fällkniven PXL, the Benchmade Crooked River, the Buck 110 in micarta and CPM-20CV. These are all currently pleasing to me partly due to the heft. Can't explain why, but they do also all happen to be excellent, functional knives. Conversely, my outdoors fixed blades seem to have gone in the other direction, as I am favouring less hefty knives these days. It's as if they are all trying to meet somewhere in the middle! Perhaps it is merely a sign that I am totally middle-aged... :)

I always was, and probably always will be all over the place in my knife tastes.

I suppose as a young man I was obsessed with switchblades and balisongs. Later I got into more tactical self defense knives. After training a lot with bladed weapons I came to the realization that SD knives weren't for me and started basing my purchases on ever day use.

As of now I can't seem to get this out of my pocket:

JZ2miKP.jpg

I always was, and probably always will be all over the place in my knife tastes.

I suppose as a young man I was obsessed with switchblades and balisongs. Later I got into more tactical self defense knives. After training a lot with bladed weapons I came to the realization that SD knives weren't for me and started basing my purchases on ever day use.

As of now I can't seem to get this out of my pocket:

JZ2miKP.jpg

Steel has been the biggest change for me, handle length has stayed between 3 1/2” and 4 1/4. What I carry has changed a lot, at one time I wouldn't carry a single blade knife. When modern knives first came out, I didn't see any thing there to bother with.

The first knife I bought myself in the late 60's early 70's (date varies depending on my memory) was a Case stockman. I came to hate that stainless. I experimented with Buck and Camillus stainless, it wasn't much better. I eventually settled on a large 3 7/8” to 4” Camillus or Old Timer stockman in 1095 and a smaller Buck cadet as a clean backup knife.

That combination held, with an occasional pattern experiment for the next 20 plus years. Until I tried Queen Cutlery's D2. Enter rabbit hole. That led to a mega experiment the Benchmade mini Barrage 586 with M390. The assist only lasted a few days but the knife is still a favorite. At this point I had to rethink these new stainless steels, maybe they're not all bad. In fact I love them, no maintenance work keeping the patina at bay. Absolutely love the edge retention and learning to sharpen these steels has opened up a whole new aspect of the knife hobby that didn't exist in 1970.

One thing that hasn't changed, is I like a knife that fits my hand. I could cut a large double wall cardboard box with a Case peanut but why would I want to? A larger knife with a more comfortable handle just makes the job easier. As long as the blade geometry is good, I'll take comfort over minimalism any day. Tiny knives, I have no use for them.

Of course I'm not young and I do have a bit of dinosaur in me. First rule, knives cut and slice PERIOD. If a blade wasn't designed for that, it's a paper weight, I own pry bars and I don't want them to fold. Deployment speed is a conversation that's lost on me. James Bond's martini is Shaken, Not Stirred. My knives are two hand or rolled open, not flipped, not deployed. That stupid box isn't going any where, whats the hurry.

These are the knives that get 90% of the carry time these days. One in a belt sheath and one in the RFP, it's been the best combination I've ever found.
In a belt sheath it varies more, a De-assisted 586, 486 Saibu, 565 mini freek, Manly Wasp and Lionsteel Bolus clip.

In the RFP, most times it's a Lionsteel barlow. Sometimes a GEC Churchill, single blade Railsplitter or other single blade or single spring traditional, just because.

As a kid and teen I had a vic sak and whatever no name junk they had in the fishing and hunting aisles at Fred Myers. Moved on to a CRKT KISS or a cheap import butterfly knife I carried for years in high school and college. A SOG Flash II introduced me to the sickness. At first I went totally tachticool. After that I settled in to modern quality and fixed blades. What I carry rotates but the basic principal stays the same. At least one large modern folder, some might consider them expensive, usually in the $100-$400 range. A medium to small fixed blade IWB or left side CM style. A multitool. And if there is room a traditional like a SAK. For today:
3NZ8sXLh.jpg

Other examples of the knives:
TE9Lg69h.jpg

KfOK06Jh.jpg

vcemvC3h.jpg

GJh8RLzh.jpg

z1Dit9Uh.jpg

j7MQIaTh.jpg

KxrFm34h.jpg

s5veKK9h.jpg

KCL3tNBh.jpg

Last edited:
I'm 74 and I've broken it down to a SAK Huntsman in a belt case right hip, and a wenger patriot or Buck 303 in the left front pocket. I've carried since about 55 with probably small cheap pocket knives til the army when my personal knife ended up being a TL29 plus the silly ass bayonet the M1 or M14 had. After army kept the TL plus Buck 303 type til the police department where I carried and used the Buck 303 and a 110. After retiring whatever showed up after I lost the 303. I just carry daily what I generally use a knife for on a daily basis. When I hunt, fish, or camp I have a well stocked truck with things that hack, cut, chop, or gut. Tackle box has it's attendant things that take care of fish. Over the years the accumulation of the proper tools for the job has come about in an orderly fashion driven by need. If I don't need it , I don't have it.

These days I typically carry my Holt Specter or Luma Blades Sentry. They both have such incredible actions, and they're good looking to boot. The blade shapes, especially the Specter, are great for every day tasks. I'll occasionally throw in the new Berg SLiM or Giant Mouse Iona, which are both fantastic designs. I'm wanting to try out some nicer thumb stud knives, so I'll be looking for something at Blade that tickles my fancy.

I'm still carrying a Buck 110/112 and slipjoints of various patterns.

I tried a couple modern knives. I didn't care for them, so I gave them away.

Edit: I've been carrying at least one knife every day since 1960, when my uncle gave me an Imperial(?) ... Colonial(?) Barlow for my 5th birthday.

Last edited:
looking at my collections lately, how large I really don't know. But I have become tired of G10, coated blades, black knives, aluminium scales etc. Lately I have been going with titanium knives with a variety of colors. I really like sculpted titanium scales, almost like functional art. High quality, visually beautiful but highly functional and durable. Sure it has jumped up my price range from 150 to $300, but now I am buying knives I really want as opposed filling niches in collections. And overall I am not spending any more than I was. I am not belittling any brands in my collection as they are all great knives, but the aesthetics have changed for me. We'll see how long this phase lasts, will probably be a while as there are thousands of this type available.

Buck Vantage Small. 2.5". Sometimes I clip it in my front pocket. Sometimes remove the clip and drop it in my back pocket.

buck vantage.jpg
Started carrying at the age of 9 with a Webelos or Cub Scout knife. The scales were blue jigged plastic. We had lots of hardware store knives in the 1970's. My brother had one with a fork and spoon that folded out of it. Or maybe that was a BSA licensed product. I don't know. I wish I still had it. Bought a Buck 112 around 1980 or '81. Then there was a couple of Spydercos and an SAK in the 90's. Also in the 90's I would take a SOG Air SOG backpacking and sometimes carry it in town. It didn't have a clip, but it was light and slim. I loved it. Should have kept it instead of selling it on ebay.

I always thought a man should carry some kind of knife for fixing hang nails or sharpening a pencil or whittling or whatever.

Last edited:
If you're including seasoned Gals too:

Fallkniven F-1 fixed blade.
ZT 0393.

I started with SAK, Buck folders but as time goes on I gravitated to simple higher performance steels and construction.

Back