What are you seasoned guys carrying?

That is amusing, as if getting old was indicative of level of intelligence. While there is truth to what you say, perhaps what's important to old people is different than younger people? I mean surely as our bodies age and our activities change our needs change and that has something to do with older people carrying similar things? Or it is just because they are smarter than everyone younger? Yea, I doubt that.

I'm glad you find it amusing, you so obviously missed the point.

Yes older is smarter. What does a young man know who just graduated high school, is going to college, and is barely voting age, compared to a man who has served in a the military, maybe even in a war, got out, got married, had a career, built a house, and raised a family? Theres a little bit of experience in real world living between a 60 something year old and a 21 year old who hasn't even begun real life yet.

Do you really thing theres nothing to be much difference between them in street smarts and knowing what it take to get the job done?

Getting old is a great teacher just from living long enough to gain a lot of experience dealing with millions of everyday things year after year, and learning from the mistakes we make.

Do you use a utiliclip?
yes Sir. stole one off my cold steel one piece boot knife sheath that came with it. just move it around to whichever knife i carry. I stole that pocket setup from ya too. works great.

I generally carry a Spyderco now. Once in a while I’ll carry a Benchmade. I normally carry a plain edge knife. When I first started carrying knives, I carried a cheap Gerber. I moved up to a Kershaw from there. I finally graduated to Spyderco a few years back and haven’t really changed it up since.

What if I carry a SAK and a Buck 110 in my younger days and as I get older I slowly transition to heavier knives, eventually retiring with a Medford? Will I age slower?o_O
18m5h4sep7s93jpg.jpg

I'm glad you find it amusing, you so obviously missed the point.

Yes older is smarter. What does a young man know who just graduated high school, is going to college, and is barely voting age, compared to a man who has served in a the military, maybe even in a war, got out, got married, had a career, built a house, and raised a family? Theres a little bit of experience in real world living between a 60 something year old and a 21 year old who hasn't even begun real life yet.

Do you really thing theres nothing to be much difference between them in street smarts and knowing what it take to get the job done?

Getting old is a great teacher just from living long enough to gain a lot of experience dealing with millions of everyday things year after year, and learning from the mistakes we make.
I'm 29, a mason, veteran who deployed (but didn't kill anyone), married have 8 and 6 year old sons, went to 17 different schools in 6 states growing up, moved out of my "home" at 16 and been on my own ever since, started a farm on 60+ acres, raised cows, pigs emus, goats, a plethora of fowl and other critters, went to college on the g.i bill, became a machinist/programmer, cut 50 cord of wood a year from standing tree put in my outdoor wood boiler, I could go on.

Age isn't indicitive of experience 100% of the time. I had two hungry sisters to take care of as a child. Plenty of people twice my age haven't done what I have done.

Experience is the teacher not age.

yes Sir. stole one off my cold steel one piece boot knife sheath that came with it. just move it around to whichever knife i carry. I stole that pocket setup from ya too. works great.

That is awesome you like the setup and it works for you.

I'm 29, a mason, veteran who deployed (but didn't kill anyone), married have 8 and 6 year old sons, went to 17 different schools in 6 states growing up, moved out of my "home" at 16 and been on my own ever since, started a farm on 60+ acres, raised cows, pigs emus, goats, a plethora of fowl and other critters, went to college on the g.i bill, became a machinist/programmer, cut 50 cord of wood a year from standing tree put in my outdoor wood boiler, I could go on.

Age isn't indicitive of experience 100% of the time. I had two hungry sisters to take care of as a child. Plenty of people twice my age haven't done what I have done.

And you've just made my point great!:thumbsup:

You're almost 30 years of age, and you've had a lot of experience in the past ten years that most people have not. How much more do you think you've learned than a 20 year old two years out of high school and maybe going to college or working in an office cubicle?

How much did you learn about life in general and dealing with people and situations from being in the service?

Now think abut how much you will know in another ten years!

And you've just made my point great!:thumbsup:

You're almost 30 years of age, and you've had a lot of experience in the past ten years that most people have not. How much more do you think you've learned than a 20 year old two years out of high school and maybe going to college or working in an office cubicle?

How much did you learn about life in general and dealing with people and situations from being in the service?

Now think abut how much you will know in another ten years!
I understand your point, my point is I currently know old men who don't hold a candle to my life experience. Last 10 years? You don't know squat about my experiences through my youth, you make assumptions and generalizations that are not true across the board. There are plenty of young people who lived through A BOAT LOAD of things older people haven't. Or have you lived through everything every other person has? The answer is no. You haven't.

I understand your point, my point is I currently know old men who don't hold a candle to my life experience. Last 10 years? You don't know squat about my experiences through my youth, you make assumptions and generalizations that are not true across the board. There are plenty of young people who lived through A BOAT LOAD of things older people haven't. Or have you lived through everything every other person has? The answer is no. You haven't.
I didn't get it at your age either (I'm not that much older) despite service, disability, multiple surgeries, moving country 3 times, running my own business in two countries simultaneously, parent dying, etc, etc. When it comes together is when the perspective of maturity catches up to the experience. Somewhere around our 5-6th decade. :D I look forward to it, until then I'm trying to keep my mouth shut and eyes and ears open as I approach my 40's. Life has a whole lot more to teach me.

That said, experience without intelligence is sad. I know a guy, he's 97. Still got black hair, until recently still stood tall and strong. Born in Transylvania, deported as a slave labourer for the Nazi's in Poland and then imprisoned in Siberia by the Russians for 'collaborating'. Fought in two wars since, scraped his way up by his fingernails every single step of the way. A real old school hard man. Boy but he spouts a lot of nonsense. :) I visit him to keep him company, especially now his wife passed on. So much life experience but unfortunately, not a whole lot of logical thought about issues. Always spouting the 'what a bloke in the pub told me' perspective on any issue.

I didn't get it at your age either (I'm not that much older) despite service, disability, multiple surgeries, moving country 3 times, running my own business in two countries simultaneously, parent dying, etc, etc. When it comes together is when the perspective of maturity catches up to the experience. Somewhere around our 5-6th decade. :D I look forward to it, until then I'm trying to keep my mouth shut and eyes and ears open as I approach my 40's. Life has a whole lot more to teach me.

That said, experience without intelligence is sad. I know a guy, he's 97. Still got black hair, until recently still stood tall and strong. Born in Transylvania, deported as a slave labourer for the Nazi's in Poland and then imprisoned in Siberia by the Russians for 'collaborating'. Fought in two wars since, scraped his way up by his fingernails every single step of the way. A real old school hard man. Boy but he spouts a lot of nonsense. :) I visit him to keep him company, especially now his wife passed on. So much life experience but unfortunately, not a whole lot of logical thought about issues. Always spouting the 'what a bloke in the pub told me' perspective on any issue.

Get what? Have you lived through what I have? Do you know my GT score? If you don't "get" that assuming ones intelligence or experience relies on age is inaccurate then you've forgotten what they say about ass-umptions. There are people half your age with experiences you've never had, are you making assumptions about how smart they are?

Older does NOT always mean smarter or more experienced in everything. Period.

Started with Buck in the early 70s. Went through Randalls, high-end customs, Spyderco, Benchmade, and many other brands.

Last 15 years, almost exclusively Buck. :rolleyes: That was an expensive circle. :D

You're right, I just totally underestimated your awesomeness. I had no idea you were so great, so please excuse my ignorance. Maybe you should run for president?

You're right, I just totally underestimated your awesomeness. I had no idea you were so great, so please excuse my ignorance. Maybe you should run for president?
You are the one who said you are smarter than others, making assumptions and generalizations that make you sound foolish. Plenty of 10 year old kids could sit you down and have a talk with you about experiences of which you'd likely have none. Don't even have to go to africa to find kids who have lived through things you haven't, right here in the USA it happens.

So, Mr. I'moldandsmartandlikegeneralizations maybe YOU should run for president since you have done everything and are so smart and old.

I'm 29....

Age isn't indicitive of experience 100% of the time. ....Plenty of people twice my age haven't done what I have done.

Generally you get experience as you age. But some are old before they were young. You may well be one of those taking care of your sisters. It is kind of silly squabbling over this experience point. We're all different with different experiences. Looking back from a career and life's perspective, you pretty much "know which way is up" by the time you hit 30ish. You don't all of a sudden have to come to the revelation that a SAK, Opinel, or Mora is all you need for a knife. For some, that's kind of boring.

Generally you get experience as you age. But some are old before they were young. You may well be one of those taking care of your sisters. It is kind of silly squabbling over this experience point. We're all different with different experiences. Looking back from a career and life's perspective, you pretty much "know which way is up" by the time you hit 30ish. You don't all of a sudden have to come to the revelation that a SAK, Opinel, or Mora is all you need for a knife. For some, that's kind of boring.
We do all have different experiences, which is why the "been there, done it all" "heard it all" act holds no water. Fact is, no, old man you haven't been there and done it all lol You'd think a wise old man would realize the vast amount of things he DIDN'T experience and not snub his nose like he's seen or "heard it all".

Obviously, people are dug in on this, opinions won't change and some people will continue to think they've experienced it all.

I disagree. No hard feelings.

I'm not old, but my grand kids think so. :D I was trying to be complementary towards you Shinyedges. Guess I missed again...

Back