What Brought You To JK Handmade Knives?

I saw a review of your Canadian Belt Knife on another forum. I googled you, found your website, and ordered one for myself. Found this place afterwards.

I googled 'Canadian Belt Knife' the other day and looked through the images.
I found about a dozen different JKs.

I was referred to JK from another forum when i was looking to have a usable sgian dubh built. Turns out most of them are basically for show, and i wanted a user.

Picked up a used Toby's, took a great edge. Then spent time on vacation in Oregon using a Pooka as my EDC, came to appreciate the edge even more. Now I have an EWOK. Spectacular EDC!!

Picked up a used Toby's, took a great edge. Then spent time on vacation in Oregon using a Pooka as my EDC, came to appreciate the edge even more. Now I have an EWOK. Spectacular EDC!!

And an EO1 on the way soon.

I had originally been kinda hanging out at another maker's forum, but I was getting disillusioned by his procrastination and arrogance. So I looked to see which other forum had decent activity, and your forum had a lot. I liked the forum, and your knives.

I never left...

I asked about a custom knife male who would make a design I had drawn up. Many people pointed me to you and after a brief phone conversation the process was started. On a side note, can you make a kydex sheath for past knives without the knife? Do you offer kydex sheaths? My taste has changed a bit and although the leather is awesome, I'd like different carry options. The knife is still going strong and has a nice patina!

Don't remember how I found your knives, but I do remember the "your design or mine" impressed me. I had bought a nice knife from a local guy, but he would not accept any orders, other makers I found might take orders, but only the set patterns they offered and no telling when you might (or not) get it...very frustrating!! My first knife from JK was made EXACTLY like I wanted it and in a timely manner, what more could you ask for! That reminds me, i don't see the " your design or mine" anymore? (Oh, I do see it in your forum title)

Last edited:
What brought me was the many people with Proud Spporter signature lines (some with pictures) like Protourist. I hit the website & this forum and spent a little time looking around and bought a used knife to see what was what.

If anyone wants a SIG PIC just PM me...:)

What brought me was the many people with Proud Spporter signature lines (some with pictures) like Protourist. I hit the website & this forum and spent a little time looking around and bought a used knife to see what was what.
That is great to know. Thank you.
If anyone wants a SIG PIC just PM me...:)

Thank's Sam. You're the best.

John, I think I stumbled onto your knives and forum back when it was 'Stomper'. Or maybe it was a knife on the Knife Maker's For Sale forum. I'm sure it was here at Bladeforums. That was a while ago. I was drawn to your practical, simple designs with clean lines and your obvious care to make a useful tool.

Some makers seem to get caught up in art or fantasy knives--nothing wrong with that--but I liked your focus on a quality knife that would do work. Probably why the WS&S crowd liked them so well. You seemed to keep your prices at a reasonable level and at a price point where a working man could afford to try a couple of different styles and still afford a hunting license.

I wasn't entirely taken with some of the early sheath designs, but now that I'm making my own sheaths, I don't sweat that; not that my designs are any better.

If you are looking to expand your customer base, I'd consider ads in some of the barbershop magazines: Field and Stream, Outdoor, Backwoodsman, etc... I glance through the small ads in the back of those mags while waiting for the barber's chair to open up; often a product catches my eye.

The Mud Turtle you just made me is really nice, probably my best JK yet. That's the kind of quality piece that will keep me coming back.

I used to advertise in Backwoodsman, then they decided to raise the rates over double what they were. The new Knife magazine seems reasonal on there rates, I may give them a try.

I first found the JK knives through the signature tags people had. It seemed many knowledgeable people had this Proud Supporter of JK Knives signature so I wanted to see what that was all about. Having been a fan of knives since forever but only really collecting heavy starting about 8 months ago I was looking to expand my knowledge through bladeforums.com. Mostly I collect modern folders with flippers being my favorite, but like any reasonable person I have an itch for a custom knife. John's products are amazing and his prizes are stellar so I basically made up my mind that my first truly hand crafted knife should be a fixed blade that could support me in all the great outdoor activities that I enjoy so much. As I read more and more on this sub forum I realized that the people here were just as great as the knives. I am happy to have found this small corner of the internet and hope to be a part of it for a long time to come.

The Coffee, best dang Coffee west of the Nile!

Wait, make that knives...best dang knives west of the Nile!

Back