1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Oh sweet, sexy & sharp as hell Legitimus Connecticut.

You never let me down when you post and this is no exception.
    The crown & hammer with Legitimus underneath so crisp and legible/recognizable.
    Superman work Josh!

Agent_H, Meek1, Fmont and 3 others like this.
  2. JoeP01

JoeP01

Jan 29, 2019
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

In the end, I decided to use a bit of minwax Golden Oak oil stain on the handle, followed later by minwax Antique Oil finish. I'm pretty happy with the aesthetics of the project and hope that it proves to be a functional finish for an axe handle.

I couldn't figure out a way to embed the imgur post gallery into this post so that tons of screen space wouldn't be taken up by my large photos. So here's just a couple of the photos showing the handle, finished [Full gallery via https://imgur.com/a/vz7OTCH]:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers!

3. Flyrod444

Flyrod444

Jan 7, 2018
    Here are the latest I've put handles in. First is a plumb Rockaway I was lucky enough to get of eBay for $36.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next is a little keen kutter half hatchet I picked up. This handle proved to be more difficult to get shaped than any of the axe handles I've made. It is made from ash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last one is a Snow & Nealy I put a handle on.
    Made a handle for this one that is 25".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    I rather like the Rockaway.:cool:

Meek1, Fmont, crbnSteeladdict and 3 others like this.
  5. Flyrod444

Flyrod444

Jan 7, 2018
    Thanks, Rockaways are my favorite pattern and I'm always on the lookout for them. This one is my second so far. My first was in much better shape and had little to no wear on the bit. I picked it up for $35 at a local flea market, including the handle which I was able to reuse on it.
    First Rockaway
    [​IMG]

6. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    You know, there was recently some discussion surrounding what I thought was a Rockaway and that bottom line from the lug to the heel. Could this be a Jersey with Plumb’s rounded lugs?

Meek1, Fmont and Yankee Josh like this.
  7. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
  8. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    Meek1, Fmont, Yankee Josh and 2 others like this.
  9. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    I have the feeling that Plumb's New England pattern is actually one of most misidentified patterns second only to Mann's Phantom Beveled Colonial line of axes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://archive.org/details/MannEdgeToolCoCatalog2/page/n4

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    A17, Meek1, Fmont and 4 others like this.
  10. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Belgian surplus axe back on the handle it came with.2 3/4 lb head on 31 1/2 inch handle.Had epoxy and a wedge and was real loose,sanded all the crap off drove it in till it was proud filled it full of epoxy and wedged it been drying about a week.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

pic host

jblyttle, JoeP01, A17 and 9 others like this.
  11. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    I like it! An honest little hatchet with a pedigree set up to live again.

13. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    :thumbsup: It sits in the rack now, 1st to grab.
    Thank you

14. Flyrod444

Flyrod444

Jan 7, 2018
    Here is a picture of the plumb Rockaway pattern with what I consider a round lug jersey pattern plumb pictured on top. I see the plumb jersey pictured on top listed as a Rockaway all the time. The plumb pictured on bottom is a Rockaway.
    [​IMG]

15. ithinkverydeeply

ithinkverydeeply

Dec 17, 2018
    That’s a nice clear delineation.

Fmont, Meek1 and Yankee Josh like this.
  16. Maine20

Maine20

Aug 8, 2017
    I’ve had excellent luck with fiber fix for over strike protection. I personally would only use it on dedicated splitter, I put it on my maul 5 cords of hardwood ago (almost 2 years) ago and it’s held up great. And I am not gentile or overly careful when I split, it’s taken a few good hits.

Fmont, Yankee Josh and Meek1 like this.
  17. Cteve

Cteve

Oct 1, 2015
    [​IMG]
    1.75 lb vintage GFB hatchet. I made the handle from another older much bigger axe handle that I was about to toss out due to a crack....works for me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  18. Yankee Josh

Yankee Josh Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I decided to leave the Van Camp bare steel. And I've been saving this 30" craftsman haft for some time now.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The swell on this one really wanted to splinter. But I saved the pieces and will glue em back on this evening. Excellent grain alignment and very little runout. [​IMG]
    Here's a before and after. Some of these craftsman came hung with a thin steel step wedge from the factory. I was able to fill in the entire gap with a little love and my 3lb sledge...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wish I could recognize the different temperer stamps from TT! I have 3 separate examples but no idea who did it or from which factory. [​IMG]
    Thanks for checking out my latest hang. Have a good one! [​IMG]

jblyttle, JoeP01, Square_peg and 10 others like this.
  19. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Josh, The Van Camp looks more massive with the haft in place. It really looks wonderful! You know every time you use that axe you are going to want some pork & beans ... right?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    JoeP01, cityofthesouth, Meek1 and 2 others like this.
  20. Fmont

Fmont

Apr 20, 2017
    That thing looks fantastic, what a great grind! Who made them? I'll have to look it up. That's a really beautiful axe.