What did you rehang today?

I hung the Connecticut pattern legitimus after work today. Filed and honed it last night. I ended up filing off exactly .5oz of steel so it now weighs #3-11oz.
aqfF3MK.jpg

A couple photos before final hang;
a6JmDlk.jpg
sasLjzF.jpg

This yellow birch wedge didn't go in as far as normal. But it's doing its job very well anyway.
RGWXzPu.jpg

Pretty hard to beat a connie for looks in my opinion. This Salem handle co. helve is thin. VERY thin! Fortunately this axe has a slender enough eye to work on it.
ESlpgbQ.jpg
zTW0Ms8.jpg
wzvc3jm.jpg
LtLUxyR.jpg
9tfxdji.jpg
UxWszdf.jpg

All in all I'm pleased with how it turned out. That makes 4 I own in this pattern. I'm afraid that number will just grow and grow and grow.... I hope so!!! ;):D:thumbsup:
szn44rf.jpg

Oh sweet, sexy & sharp as hell Legitimus Connecticut.

You never let me down when you post and this is no exception.
The crown & hammer with Legitimus underneath so crisp and legible/recognizable.
Superman work Josh!

OK lads, the gnarly Dayton-pattern 3lb Plumb single bit is hung! How should I finish the handle? Oil? Burn & oil? Burn & stain? Danish Oil? ... I'm very open to suggestions. (Handle has some really nice swirly/circular grain (idk what the proper term is).) I love cool axes!

txwkta9.jpg

tFfU5SL.jpg

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

In the end, I decided to use a bit of minwax Golden Oak oil stain on the handle, followed later by minwax Antique Oil finish. I'm pretty happy with the aesthetics of the project and hope that it proves to be a functional finish for an axe handle.

I couldn't figure out a way to embed the imgur post gallery into this post so that tons of screen space wouldn't be taken up by my large photos. So here's just a couple of the photos showing the handle, finished [Full gallery via https://imgur.com/a/vz7OTCH]:

SXEVnYE.jpg

GkdCkQs.jpg

Cheers!

Here are the latest I've put handles in. First is a plumb Rockaway I was lucky enough to get of eBay for $36.
IMG-20190908-113328409-HDR.jpg

IMG-20190908-122359740.jpg

Next is a little keen kutter half hatchet I picked up. This handle proved to be more difficult to get shaped than any of the axe handles I've made. It is made from ash.
IMG-20190908-113404423.jpg

IMG-20190908-113413321.jpg

Last one is a Snow & Nealy I put a handle on.
Made a handle for this one that is 25".
IMG-20190908-122336369.jpg

IMG-20190908-122347717.jpg

Thanks, Rockaways are my favorite pattern and I'm always on the lookout for them. This one is my second so far. My first was in much better shape and had little to no wear on the bit. I picked it up for $35 at a local flea market, including the handle which I was able to reuse on it.
First Rockaway
IMG-20190609-102449887-510x680.jpg

You know, there was recently some discussion surrounding what I thought was a Rockaway and that bottom line from the lug to the heel. Could this be a Jersey with Plumb’s rounded lugs?
Here is a picture of the plumb Rockaway pattern with what I consider a round lug jersey pattern plumb pictured on top. I see the plumb jersey pictured on top listed as a Rockaway all the time. The plumb pictured on bottom is a Rockaway.
IMG-20190909-103749340.jpg

Speaking of hard on handles, my father and I were discussing what would be a good option to protect the handle just under the head where it always seems to get torn up. Even if you avoid overstrikes, splitting up big rounds inevitably chips away at that portion of the handle. He suggested heavy gauge copper wire wrapped might offer some protection. If I had any abilities in metalworking I would make a steel guard like they use on the gransfors mauls, but copper wrap seems like it might be a good idea, and it's malleability might work well to absorb/distribute the shock of a blow.
I’ve had excellent luck with fiber fix for over strike protection. I personally would only use it on dedicated splitter, I put it on my maul 5 cords of hardwood ago (almost 2 years) ago and it’s held up great. And I am not gentile or overly careful when I split, it’s taken a few good hits.

I decided to leave the Van Camp bare steel. And I've been saving this 30" craftsman haft for some time now.
XWqZjQb.jpg
1NkxYQ0.jpg
29mOXy4.jpg
edV5FNx.jpg

The swell on this one really wanted to splinter. But I saved the pieces and will glue em back on this evening. Excellent grain alignment and very little runout.
b8thKwh.jpg

Here's a before and after. Some of these craftsman came hung with a thin steel step wedge from the factory. I was able to fill in the entire gap with a little love and my 3lb sledge...
xPLve0t.jpg

OFZ5Ao3.jpg

I wish I could recognize the different temperer stamps from TT! I have 3 separate examples but no idea who did it or from which factory.
BK5dDl5.jpg

Thanks for checking out my latest hang. Have a good one!
0yFuw7n.jpg

I decided to leave the Van Camp bare steel. And I've been saving this 30" craftsman haft for some time now.
XWqZjQb.jpg
1NkxYQ0.jpg
29mOXy4.jpg
edV5FNx.jpg

The swell on this one really wanted to splinter. But I saved the pieces and will glue em back on this evening. Excellent grain alignment and very little runout.
b8thKwh.jpg

Here's a before and after. Some of these craftsman came hung with a thin steel step wedge from the factory. I was able to fill in the entire gap with a little love and my 3lb sledge...
xPLve0t.jpg

OFZ5Ao3.jpg

I wish I could recognize the different temperer stamps from TT! I have 3 separate examples but no idea who did it or from which factory.
BK5dDl5.jpg

Thanks for checking out my latest hang. Have a good one!
0yFuw7n.jpg
Josh, The Van Camp looks more massive with the haft in place. It really looks wonderful! You know every time you use that axe you are going to want some pork & beans ... right?

Last edited:
Back