What did you use your SAK for today?

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by Edm1, Apr 8, 2019.

1. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Very cool. How did you make the char cloth?

sonofwilfred likes this.
  2. pipedreams308

pipedreams308 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 29, 2006
    Very cool, Dan.

sonofwilfred likes this.
  3. sonofwilfred

sonofwilfred Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2015
    I use a tin with a lid. The lid has a small hole poked in it. I half fill the tin with 2" squares of denim (old jeans) and I put the lid on and place it in some hot coals from a fire. Smoke comes out the small hole for a while as it heats up. When the smoke nearly stops it's time to take the tin off the coals. Let it cool down. Take the black cloth out and that's your finished product. If there is still colour in the material it's not done long enough and if the cloth is brittle it was done for too long. There's videos on the internet there pretty much all the same idea. The cloth will catch a spark and glow up nicely too but I use my magnifying glass because I can
    Dan.

4. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Thanks, Dan. I appreciate it. Quite impressive how fast it worked with that.

sonofwilfred likes this.
  5. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I tightened up the jaws on my vice.

Spikediesel, 315, paulhilborn and 4 others like this.
  6. NMpops

NMpops

Aug 9, 2010
    Something really exciting, I opened up a case of bottled water.

7. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I undid a tight lid on my wife's nail polish bottle for her.

8. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Happy Wife. Happy Life!!
    John

Pomsbz and sonofwilfred like this.
  9. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Ha ha not wrong mate. John, every chance I get I use a Sak to fix something. It helps justifying having so many knives

paulhilborn, Ace Rimmer and jmh33 like this.
  10. Spikediesel

Spikediesel Spare time SAK builder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 14, 2018
    I pruned some of my young Oak trees. My Silky would have been a lot faster but what fun would that be?

[​IMG]

11. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    So True Dan and many times it's hard to take a picture or I just simply forget:oops: but today I used the Small Tinker to pry up a clasp that connects two power cords together for a power reclining sofa and Loveseat then it cut strapping in a tight spot that a Utility knife couldn't reach. Honestly there is hardly a day at our store I don't use it:thumbsup:

Very COOL Hunstman pic:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  12. Pomsbz

Pomsbz

Jul 31, 2015
    Day in the life of my EDC Spartan. The corkscrew was used to undo some knots from bank line used for a tarp roof I have over my balcony, I upgraded to a higher strength line (1000lbs strength). The bottle opener was used to force the midshipman's hitch as tight up the lines as possible to unsure the tarp is taut. The small blade was used for cutting and trimming the line. The can opener helped me change a plug, the small blade trimmed some shrink wrap for the cable, it was then used for cutting and trimming thread for a little leather book slip cover I made for a small pocket prayer book (I used my SAK Pruner straight blade for the leather, it's my go to hobby knife). The big blade was used for slicing Knockwurst and pickles I had for a light supper. Oh and I'm using the corkscrew as a fidget toy as I write this. :)

Ace Rimmer, redsparrow, 315 and 6 others like this.
  13. paulhilborn

Mar 22, 2006
    Used my 84mm cellidor Electrician to cut the clam shell packaging open for a new Waterpik shower head and also helped in the installation:thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

14. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Nice use of a rare knife mate

jmh33 and paulhilborn like this.
  15. paulhilborn

Mar 22, 2006
    Thanks Dan, when I see one I try to add it to my collection, I really like the three blades:thumbsup: well two blades and phillips;):)

jmh33 and sonofwilfred like this.
  16. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Tightened some loose screws in few doors and wing nuts in kicksled.

mitch13, paulhilborn, jmh33 and 2 others like this.
  17. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    We went on a 6 hour return drive west, 2 towns over, to see some art. I took the "holiday" knife and I peeled an afternoon snack for my boy along the way.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. paulhilborn

Mar 22, 2006
    Very cool Dan:thumbsup:

sonofwilfred and jmh33 like this.
  19. Fass

Fass

Mar 8, 2020
    I used my Recruit this afternoon to undo a new carpet from its plastic wrapping. After that I put some window foil on a window and used the large blade to cut it to size.

20. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I used the small blade on my Super Tinker to open the box that the 2021 Tiger Orange Alox Pioneer came in!!
    John