What do you use your L/XL folders for?

I hate to admit it, but mostly I use my knife for opening packages;). Second most for cooking around camp, and rarely for what I consider my primary purposes for carrying, butchering big game (and small) and survival if trapped in the wilderness somehow.

That being said, I prefer the biggest cutting edge I can find, coupled with the lightest, most ergonomic handle that makes it less obtrusive to carry. And, a solid lock mechanism is a must, I had my first hunting folder fold up on my fingers while removing a hind quarter from a moose with 5 days to go before the bush plane was coming back to get us and it made for a tough remainder of the hunt;(

At the moment, the Patriot Bladewerx Lincoln has proven to be a good balance, but I still wish it was half an inch longer on the blade.

I hate to admit it, but mostly I use my knife for opening packages;). Second most for cooking around camp, and rarely for what I consider my primary purposes for carrying, butchering big game (and small) and survival if trapped in the wilderness somehow.

That being said, I prefer the biggest cutting edge I can find, coupled with the lightest, most ergonomic handle that makes it less obtrusive to carry. And, a solid lock mechanism is a must, I had my first hunting folder fold up on my fingers while removing a hind quarter from a moose with 5 days to go before the bush plane was coming back to get us and it made for a tough remainder of the hunt;(

At the moment, the Patriot Bladewerx Lincoln has proven to be a good balance, but I still wish it was half an inch longer on the blade.

Well, if you want a fairly big blade with an ergonomic handle, I recommend the Voyager XL. It’s got a nice solid lockup too that isn’t likely to close on your fingers. :)

I usually tote a smaller Swiss Army with a large primary blade. The smaller jack handles all the daily, and routine cutting assignments we all face. The bigger folder is essentially for survival, and defense. It's also an augment to my primary arm, a handgun. A large folder is a better-choice for concealment, when a large fixed-blade is not apropos to the city-environment.

Are you referring to the special forces CS shovel? Yeah, that would be pretty handy to have in the car or in the rucksack for hikes.

As I mentioned earlier though, I still consider edged tools as a last ditch defense against hostile animals. A firearm that you’ve trained with would be a better tool most of the time.

Understood and accepted. I doubt that the shovel and my bad breath would be as effective on a black bear, as would a pump 12 with slugs.

I hate to admit it, but mostly I use my knife for opening packages

. Second most for cooking around camp, and rarely for what I consider my primary purposes for carrying, butchering big game (and small) and survival if trapped in the wilderness somehow.

Chris, I was going to ask in your thread over in General, but this thread is easier to navigate at this point. Have you considered a Cold Steel Broken Skull I for your hunting folder requirements?

IMG-7398.jpg

IMG-7397.jpg

Four-inch blade, Tri-Ad lock, three ounces, and it's even available in the orange G-10 you admire. It's a nice knife.

Good luck with your quest!

-Steve

Last edited:
tenor.gif
I know my reasons for carrying mine, but I’m curious about everyone else here. Currently, I only have one ridiculously sized folder, the Voyager XL, and I think it’s fantastic. Outside of “tacticool” uses, the pros for me would be: 1) fitting my large hands well, 2) the long cutting edge slicing up cardboard and bulky items rather well, 3) serving as a makeshift kitchen knife if for some reason your cutlery set isn’t within reach (those vegetables don’t stand a chance).

For strictly EDC applications though, it does feel kinda silly to pocket the giant when a Code 4 or Endura 4 could also get the job done. :D What do you guys use your dinosaur folders for?

Testing the strength of my pants belt.

3.5 - 4" is my sweet spot for EDC unless I am wearing dress pants that can't handle it. My "jeans/cargo pants day" typically will have me with a CQC-8, ZT630, Voyager or AD-10 (my favorite). I do have a couple XL Voyagers, both tanto, and have been known to carry one of them for when a large knife handy is smart but a fixed blade wouldn't seem right. Darned sheeple state I live in!

On the hunting side, CS's Triad lock gives me great confidence in a folder but while I have dressed out countless critters over my years with folders, there's just no substitute for a fixed blade in certain situations - hunting being one. - not just for the strength aspect, but for ease of cleaning and not finding little pieces of rancid stuff in nooks and crannies long after the hunt.

3.5 - 4" is my sweet spot for EDC unless I am wearing dress pants that can't handle it. My "jeans/cargo pants day" typically will have me with a CQC-8, ZT630, Voyager or AD-10 (my favorite). I do have a couple XL Voyagers, both tanto, and have been known to carry one of them for when a large knife handy is smart but a fixed blade wouldn't seem right. Darned sheeple state I live in!

On the hunting side, CS's Triad lock gives me great confidence in a folder but while I have dressed out countless critters over my years with folders, there's just no substitute for a fixed blade in certain situations - hunting being one. - not just for the strength aspect, but for ease of cleaning and not finding little pieces of rancid stuff in nooks and crannies long after the hunt.

Well-rounded collection there, man. I wouldn’t show any of those wicked blades to sheeple, haha.

I agree with the cleaning aspect. If I get any sort of dirt or gunk on my folding blade, not closing it until I clean it or at least wipe it dry.

Glad you made it out okay, man. I wouldn’t wanna face hostile dogs any day of the week.

Just my two cents, but almost any firearm would be better against hostile dogs than even our pocket swords. If all I had that day was my Voyager, would I be glad to have it? Sure. But every time I take a swing, that sucker or his friends could chew my arm off. With a handgun that you’ve trained with, the odds swing a bit more in your favor.
Agree.

The day after my next door neighbor woke up in the middle of the night and saw a bear going through his trash can out at the street, I carried my Voyager XL on my predawn bike ride. I thought about it later that day, and the next day I carried my normal carry large Voyager and a .40S&W on my ride. What was I thinking that first morning?

Agree.

The day after my next door neighbor woke up in the middle of the night and saw a bear going through his trash can out at the street, I carried my Voyager XL on my predawn bike ride. I thought about it later that day, and the next day I carried my normal carry large Voyager and a .40S&W on my ride. What was I thinking that first morning?
Bear? I wouldn’t take on any bear even with a 15” blade Bowie knife LMAO. I’m not too confident too about .40S&W making an impression on anything north of 300 lbs. Are we talking black bear or grizzly?

I live in central europe.we have a lot of people from a certain "belief". If you look at violent crime stats,they are vastly over represented ,per capita of course... often times they attack a person in a group and keep on beating the person even if hes on the ground. Some of them even tape knives to their hands and stab random people..happens way more often than the media will tell you. For that reason i carry a Rajah 2 with me. Especially against a group of attackers
Another European here, I'll just say that pepper spray is very effective against groups of attackers. It also gives you much needed distance if they also carry knives.
I use pepper spray as my primary defensive weapon, and I only have good experiences with it, it's very effective and easy to use.
Only downsides are: Not good at windy weather or tight closed spaces, and the can will empty quickly.
That's why you have a knife too.

This being said I ordered a CPM-3V knife for EDC and I'm still patiently waiting...

Back