What do you want in a new Salt knife?

I really wouldn't mind some sort of pocket fishing knife, no lock. I can EDC most slipjoints where I am, and it would be kinda cool to have something in LC200n that fit that bill, wouldn't need to be a fillet knife, just something reasonably slicey. Though realistically if you are going fishing, cleaning and grilling a fish, its unlikely you are then going to head out for the evening without changing and such. So really, I can carry my native or Caribbean so long as the tackle box is with me. Might have to just take a walk down to the river and throw in a line this weekend, its been far to long.

Vanax Superclean, nice treated and hardened, in a Pacific Salt 3.

Teal scales please. 🤪

I'd like to see solid FRN scales, ones without the "skeletonized" structure of the current models. There's not enough material missing to make the knives noticeably lighter, but it gives plenty of little spaces for debris to get caught up in.

Oh, and handle forward designs like the Rockjumper.

Does nobody want a proper fillet knife? Bring back the folding fillet knife please. Catcherman with a 5.5 inch blade and less belly.

Last edited:
Does nobody want a proper fillet knife? Bring back the folding fillet knife please. Catcherman with a 5.5 inch blade and less belly.
"proper" fillet knife is a really tough thing. Mostly because most fishermen who target specific species have very particular tastes, and those of us who just catch whatever is biting, well, tend to work with what we've got. For me, if I'm in a situation where I'm carrying all the gear and so a folder is a better option, then I'm less likely to fillet, since I'll probably be eating what I keep pretty shortly. Where as, if its a planned trip, I have no problem taking a fillet knife (I'm an odd duck in my locale with only one, most people have a cheap kit) and in that case, I actually care a bit more about the sheath and handle (rubber over-molding is fantastic) and so in all likelihood I'd go for a fillet knife that is more on the "commercial" end. I currently have a buck silver creek (thank you nameless salesman who sold it to my wife) and it does what I need it to do. Take that blade, get a pivot into it and make the handle as useful, and suddenly its a really expensive toy that I'm way more worried about, and honestly couldn't afford. I can justify a couple hundred bucks on my work EDC multitool and light, since it accounts for 50% of how skillful I look at my current job. Other than that, I'm in the one knife a year average group, so something that I'll use only once a year is a tough thing to justify. Where as, I loved the idea of the native salt, I'd had a native in the past and moved it on since I can't EDC a locker, but that moved right up into real fishing knife territory for me. Good cost, simple, does its job, and anytime I'm near the water, its one of the two knives I might take. I also have a sheepsfoot caribbean because of a work requirement needing a salt water knife with no pointy tip (hey, don't need a strong justification, any will do, work just happens to be a strong one for me)

I know its a long way of saying that things are complex, but I think that we as "knife-guys" really overestimate how many other people will like what we like. At the end of the day, targeting saturated markets is a harder gamble than finding new ones. Spyderco finds new ones, even if they don't always pan out, they do often enough that they do move more people into at least carrying something. If they could do it, I'd be keen, but again, out of what I want, what I can carry, and what I can afford, a folding fillet knife is very low on the list. That, and if knife guys are an odd bunch, you have to admit that fishermen are.... well, odder.

"proper" fillet knife is a really tough thing. Mostly because most fishermen who target specific species have very particular tastes, and those of us who just catch whatever is biting, well, tend to work with what we've got. For me, if I'm in a situation where I'm carrying all the gear and so a folder is a better option, then I'm less likely to fillet, since I'll probably be eating what I keep pretty shortly. Where as, if its a planned trip, I have no problem taking a fillet knife (I'm an odd duck in my locale with only one, most people have a cheap kit) and in that case, I actually care a bit more about the sheath and handle (rubber over-molding is fantastic) and so in all likelihood I'd go for a fillet knife that is more on the "commercial" end. I currently have a buck silver creek (thank you nameless salesman who sold it to my wife) and it does what I need it to do. Take that blade, get a pivot into it and make the handle as useful, and suddenly its a really expensive toy that I'm way more worried about, and honestly couldn't afford. I can justify a couple hundred bucks on my work EDC multitool and light, since it accounts for 50% of how skillful I look at my current job. Other than that, I'm in the one knife a year average group, so something that I'll use only once a year is a tough thing to justify. Where as, I loved the idea of the native salt, I'd had a native in the past and moved it on since I can't EDC a locker, but that moved right up into real fishing knife territory for me. Good cost, simple, does its job, and anytime I'm near the water, its one of the two knives I might take. I also have a sheepsfoot caribbean because of a work requirement needing a salt water knife with no pointy tip (hey, don't need a strong justification, any will do, work just happens to be a strong one for me)

I know its a long way of saying that things are complex, but I think that we as "knife-guys" really overestimate how many other people will like what we like. At the end of the day, targeting saturated markets is a harder gamble than finding new ones. Spyderco finds new ones, even if they don't always pan out, they do often enough that they do move more people into at least carrying something. If they could do it, I'd be keen, but again, out of what I want, what I can carry, and what I can afford, a folding fillet knife is very low on the list. That, and if knife guys are an odd bunch, you have to admit that fishermen are.... well, odder.
I'd still like them to re-produce the folding Catcherman in the Salt series.

PM2 Please. Bright yellow G-10. A dream PM2! Even yellow FRN would be a win.

N0Ikedo.jpg

Back