What is a lanyard to you?

What is the purpose — practical or esthetical — of attaching a piece of woven rope to the pommel of your knife?
Do you use a full-length lanyard or a "fox terrier tail"?
Do you prefer multicolour or monochrome?

Add pictures, please :)

Here is one of mine. Nothing to boast about, just a chopped off rat's tail 😆
4W2SQ0L.png

^That is a lanyard.

The term is commonly a misnomer for fob

I might (temporarily) attach a lanyard if using a knife near/on water (dock, boat, etc); but I think I've actually DONE it twice in nearly 50 yrs of carrying a knife.
A few of my modern folders came with fobs - some were removed, some were left in place. I have never added one to a knife that came to me without it (the sole exception being a knife that SHOULD have had one, but it was removed by the previous owner...and I only replaced it when I decided to sell the knife because the cost of doing so was less than the increase in value for the typical buyer of such a knife. I also did change one fob for a longer one with bead, in the hope that dressing that knife up a bit would help me like it more (it didn't).

*edited to add - I just scrolled to the bottom of the above post by eveled eveled ...sorry for repeating the fob bit

Last edited:
In a populated area, it draws attention to the fact I have a knife. I don't like that for a lot of reasons. So, I don't use them in this setting.

In a rural setting-i.e., camping, hunting etc, a brightly colored lanyard will help me avoid losing the knife. I like that for a lot of reasons mostly called dollars.

I didn't know the difference between a lanyard and a fob, thanks for educating me. So, I guess my question refers to both now ))
That small pocket common in jeans? Commonly known as the 'watch pocket'? That watch would have a fob to remove it. Could be a chain or a ribbon, too.

Yes, there is a difference-they perform a similar function, but with a different style.

Only time I'd use a lanyard is on top of a rack/pinion elevator where all tools must be tied off to prevent dropping and killing people, or if I brought a nice knife on a boat. I imagine a military 2 in s110v would make a great fillet knife on a saltwater boat but I would have that thing tied securely to my belt loop with a lighter leash or paracord.

So to me a lanyard is a limited use item for security of the knife. I think I'd be annoyed with a dangling fob on it all the time

Last edited:
Now that I know the difference between the lanyard and the fob thanks to you guys. I remember I attached a lanyard to a few of my folders a while ago. It was a hindrance: the lanyard caught the blade as it opened, so I decided to remove it.

I do have lanyards on some of my fixies but I don't use them often. Sometimes I wrap it around my hand like this:
20uESPC.png

For big knives, I'll often use a retention lanyard.
For pocket knives, I'll often use a fob as it helps remove it from the pocket.
For flashlights I prefer one of either really, mostly for ease of manipulation between grips and to help w/ removal. While I retain the clips on most lights, I rarely use them.

Just an annoyance.
I absolutely agree on a folding knife. Worse, making a place for one in the handle often makes the handle longer and/or interferes with using a deep carry clip.

A lanyard is fine on a neck knife.

I keep my knife clipped to my pocket, I don't need help drawing it from the pocket.

Fobs are useful in some cases --I attach one to my Sebbie 21 to make it easier to pull it out of its slip case. OTOH, they can soak up gunk. Lanyards are a good idea on boats or other places where you're likely to lose your knife if you drop it. Otherwise, they're a PITA.

Caught the fever for a short time. Learned some knots and had some fun. Then abandoned the idea. For me, they are useless and get in the way. The one exception I have is for horizontal carry belt knives and neck knives that I hang upside down in the sheath. For ordinary pocket folders, no mas.

Back