What is a lanyard to you?

From an age of 14 to 25 I carried a dangling Old Hickory paring knife on a lanyard from my right wrist daily at work in a plant nursery.

Worked great and shaved hours off our work until a corporate buyout happened, then all knives were banned.

I tried using fobs, but they only increased the tendency for my pocket knife to get caught on stuff.

To each their own. Some look pretty darn nice tho!

Fobs are something "edc influencers" add to knives as an excuse to spend more money on shiny trinket trash to look good on instagram photos. Lanyards can be useful, bit absolutely no need for a pocketknife with a pocket clip to have, in my experience. I cut em off and throw em away immediately (i dont sell my knives so resale means nothing to me)
It's great that everyone can have an opinion. Even if some are more condescending than others.

It's great that everyone can have an opinion. Even if some are more condescending than others.

This seems to happen more often with newer members. Can't help but wonder if it might be from being accustomed to interacting other places on the internet, rather than the laid-back friendly "you do you lets appreciate knives" attitude prevalent here.

This seems to happen more often with newer members. Can't help but wonder if it might be from being accustomed to interacting other places on the internet, rather than the laid-back friendly "you do you lets appreciate knives" attitude prevalent here.
I think it's just the nature of the mostly anonymous nature of Internet forums. I honestly believe that if there was a forum for cross stitching or crocheting, there would be someone criticizing others technique and choice of yarn.

Double coloured fob

CwVl0Q5.png

Since they are not sponsored by BladeForums I can't put a link here, but the description you can search there is
PH PandaHall Tibetan Antique Silver Spacer Beads
on the far right select that one, they have a 5mm diameter hole. To use them on my lanyards I will cut out the inner strands on one of the paracord legs just about an inch so it will be thinner at the end so I can get the two strands through the smaller hole.
G2

edited to add some visuals

Pull out the inner strands a little and cut them off, then pull the paracord so the hollow outer casing is...hollow ;)
Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

I'll trim the end at a 45 so it will be easier to slide it into the bead later on

Use a lighter to lightly singe the paracord end so it doesn't fray

Then slide the full thick side through first and then slide the thinner strand in, once you get it through, you can pull the full paracord through, it's just hard to get both in if they have their inner cores at the start, on very small bead holes I'll do the reduction on both strands and just muscle the thicker portions through afterward...hopefully, some beads have very small holes so it can be a struggle.

And the purpose of this small keeper bead is for an accent on my bobtail fobs

and on my regular lanyards the snake knots can start unraveling as snakes tend to do, so the bead keeps them under control ;)

Last edited:
Neat looking job there

On the ends of the paracord give this method a try

G2

Back