What is a lanyard to you?

YES! Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery just saved some potential injuries. Please take this in the spirit it is offered, and not as rude intent: the lanyard method in the pics posted by eveled eveled on page one are dangerous, especially as the knife increases in size. An accidental released of the handle means you now have a sharp knife swinging wildly around.
The method came from Bo Randall not me. I only offered it to show the difference between lanyard and fob.

I certainly see your point, certainly not necessary or even wise for every situation. But I’ve also seen people working over head with more dangerous things tethered to themselves. I would only use that method if dropping it posed a bigger risk than just losing the knife. Like anything else, you have to assess the risk.

Last edited:
The method Sharp & Fiery suggested covers all the bases without the liability.

Well ! I am now most certainly confused on what I want to call my own end of the knife fancy multi colored jewel covered machined anodized painstakingly tied rope thing Now 😵‍💫

I have an Inkosi and Sebenza that have an Extension what ! ya ma call it ~ I think it put's a little snaz on the looks of the knife, doesn't do much in the way of handling the knife or getting in the way ~ On that design they basically jet out at the end of the frame and out of the way like an Exhaust Pipe ~

IMHO ~ The extra thing you like sticking out it's best for when your going for a quick grab at the knife that's in your pocket but you know might be obstructed by a shirt or belt, more times than not you find the round snake thing we are talking about first, Just don't pull it up with so much force as to fling it out of your pocket and find yourself with a crazy knife flying all over the place causing you to drop your beer to keep from getting cut before you get things settled down.

But !! If you do it right ? You can keep the knife from dangling around too much before you get a grasp on it.

Practice Makes Perfect

ClickBoom ClickBoom good points. When I was younger I carried an XL Cold Steel Recon 1 Clip Point, and used a fob the help with deployment. I wouldn't carry one of those now, because I have pretended to to grow up since then.

Here is the correct way. Use something to make the lanyard come up snug with your hand.

Hope this helps. 👍🏼
View attachment 2528681View attachment 2528682View attachment 2528684View attachment 2528683

What blade is that please????? I can't see, I can't see......😉

I enjoy the knot tying and the various beads that are available, plus it aids in drawing the knife out as well, for me at least. Especially when it is a fixed blade knife in a pouch sheath, but then I'll use what I term a bobtail fob. But on folders I have them a little longer

G2

Beautiful pair there!!!!👍👍👍

What blade is that please????? I can't see, I can't see......😉
That is my wife's Ontario Bushcraft Woodsman. I forgot to put it back after taking the demonstration photos and when she got home first thing she said was “why is my knife up here?” Haha. “I had some “splainin” to do.

eveled eveled

My apologies. My post on lanyards was not intended to make you look badly. I did realize that it was an instructional from Bo Randall. In my haste to post before someone decided to go outside and try that around the wrist thing and get hurt, I wasn’t clear that it was not directed at you, sir. Just wanting to clear that up now.

ChazzyP ChazzyP

Sometime “lanyards,” in the way that Bo Randall showed, is acceptable. When I was ice climbing like it was my life, I had my ice axes tethered to myself. The only difference was that the coil lanyards were long enough that if I dropped an axe, it would dangle below my feet. Better to have a dangling axe than drop it a few hundred to thousand of feet and be stuck! 😱

I did also have a spare axe clipped to my harness just in case.

Photo for fun. :)

2AE0D011-8C76-404B-9889-B4A4883E0FC0.jpeg

eveled eveled

My apologies. My post on lanyards was not intended to make you look badly. I did realize that it was an instructional from Bo Randall. In my haste to post before someone decided to go outside and try that around the wrist thing and get hurt, I wasn’t clear that it was not directed at you, sir. Just wanting to clear that up now.

ChazzyP ChazzyP

Sometime “lanyards,” in the way that Bo Randall showed, is acceptable. When I was ice climbing like it was my life, I had my ice axes tethered to myself. The only difference was that the coil lanyards were long enough that if I dropped an axe, it would dangle below my feet. Better to have a dangling axe than drop it a few hundred to thousand of feet and be stuck! 😱

I did also have a spare axe clipped to my harness just in case.

Photo for fun. :)

View attachment 2529320
I always thought you might be insane!

A pink lanyard looks great with a Skrama, doesn't it?

PoWMSJ8.png

9YfNlsE.png

Well I learned the snake knot and never looked back. Kind of a one trick pony as far as fobs go but they work and don’t look terrible plus I don’t have to look up the tutorial every time (any more!)

Well I learned the snake knot and never looked back. Kind of a one trick pony as far as fobs go but they work and don’t look terrible plus I don’t have to look up the tutorial every time (any more!)
Same here ~ I am very used to that knot and use it constantly always playing around with different ropes and styles 🤘

Back