What is a lanyard to you?

That small pocket common in jeans? Commonly known as the 'watch pocket'? That watch would have a fob to remove it. Could be a chain or a ribbon, too.
That is exactly why I have a wrist-strap on my multi-tool, because it rides in my watch pocket:

0HuUUdh.jpg

The wrist-strap came off of one of those el cheapo LED flashlights. I tuck the strap in to the pocket, above the tool. Then, when I need the tool, I just grab the wrist-strap and pull. Works every time.

I'm on the hunt for one to put on my back-up. I imagine it hanging out the side of the boot and making it easy to grab and pull. Not sure if it will help or get on my nerves. Won't speed things up because I'll have to pull the lanyard and get the knife oriented in my hand to deploy. But for sheer convenience may be worth it.

IMG_20240119_095247_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg

My Sage 5 got a fob with a small bead attached to (I actually call it it's tail) since the knife sits very deep in the pocket and the tail helps me grad it quickly, also I think it makes the knife look better :)

A lanyard I attached to my Tops Tracker because it somehow instills more confidence and dlsecurity when using it

I am aware...and, over time, as the misuse of the term becomes more and more common, the wrong will become right. Such is the madness of language. Those of us pointing out the distinction will. not. win. Two wrongs may not make a right, but billions of wrongs repeated for decades sure can.

I didn't know the difference between a lanyard and a fob, thanks for educating me. So, I guess my question refers to both now ))
You must only pick one. It can only be a lanyard thread or a fob thread. Never the two at once.

But seriously, for me, either only make sense if they are needed. Full or pinky lanyard if I might be doing a bit of chopping or stabby type activities. Sometimes a little fob knot for a fixed blade that needs a little extra grip to grab at getting it out of the sheath. Before I knew better, I use to attach fobs to everything but through experience I learned they were more of a hindrance to my needs, the above exempt of course.

If, like most people, you clip a knife inside your pants pocket, then the lanyard/fob would seem an annoyance. Knife designs that prioritize the lanyard would then be undesirable. I certainly understand.

However, if you draw from a belt sheath, they are necessary. A little splash of style also does not hurt.

1000002221.jpg

I am aware...and, over time, as the misuse of the term becomes more and more common, the wrong will become right. Such is the madness of language. Those of us pointing out the distinction will. not. win. Two wrongs may not make a right, but billions of wrongs repeated for decades sure can.

This is how Language works!

The term is commonly a misnomer for fob

I feel like we’ve been here before….
This ^
It was a long thread few years back, with lots of pictures and statements who uses what and why.
Personal opinion:
One thing for all who "hate" fobs, mistaken for "lanyards" - if you're using deep pocket clip and need fast deployment,
you can only do this efficiently with fob, so... Also lots of fobs are made to be pretty but not functional.
The metal part, bead or whatever heavy we usually put on a fob, needs to stay close to the pommel,
otherwise when hitting something with the knife, it swing and slaps the back of your hand, very unpleasant issue.

Looks ugly, but most functional in my case:
fnn9.jpg

The one on the middle came with the black and green fob from a forum member, purchased from the exchange,
I like to use paracord with reflective string, it's easy to find the knife if you drop it, just by using a flashlight.
Some fobs I like to attach to the clips. This way I can move it between knives I'm using on daily bases.

3SujpW.jpg

Last edited:
The fob is getting in the way as I am handling the knife.
This knife is naturally waved, intended by design. It's not your regular EDC knife, more of SD or similar purpose blade.
Another personal opinion: I'd look for fastest possible deployment and in this case fob is a big help.

Do you mean, it is easier and faster to pull the knife by the fob out of the pocket?
YesSir... Let's look at knives that are design for stabbing for example:

Here is your Microtech version of the "deep pocket" clip
kjv3cv.jpg

There is a bent in the middle, allowing you to grab the knife for the pommel part, and the clip, and draw, without putting pressure on the below "spring" part.
Very thoughtful design IMO for a deep pocket clip.

Here are the most "normal" knives with area behind the clip, where you can grab the pommel and draw the knife normally,
imagine, there are no fobs on the pictured knives:
3w5DOD.jpg

5dux.jpg

So people usually put deep pocket clip on a knife they want to conceal. But this make drawing very sluggish, this is where the fob is helpful.

fhsz.jpg

I usually grab the fob with swipe of my pinky and ring fingers, the move is natural, you don't have to look at your pocket.
You draw the knife out of your pocket, the wave feature opens up the blade and your middle finger, the index and thumb are ready to grab the knife and adjust the grip.
To me it's fast and reliable, done it for a long time.
Here is an example of a great fob made by @GarryGravley, attached to the clip of a normal Endura, helping to deploy the wave feature.

zzQMfW.jpg

Back