What is a lanyard to you?

Leave it to me to zag at a zig but I dig them, and put them on damn near every modern folder I carry, plus SAK's. I'm also guilty of calling them lanyards even though I've known full well for ages that they are technically fobs, but with all apologies calling it a fob just sounds dumb to me.

Like others, I used to hate them, and I would instantly remove them from any knife that came with them. Furthermore I'll be completely honest and say that my initial interest in them was purely for looks, and even more so just another way to tinker around with a new knife. However in actual practice I have found that they actually aid a great deal in deploying my knife, to the extent that I would miss them functionally if they weren't there. Perhaps I draw my knife differently from others, but I just find that it works well for me.

The reason I put them on SAK's is because I tend to carry them in a leather slip inside a small "knife pocket" positioned just behind the RF pocket on the pants I wear. With a fob I can deploy either that or my primary folder easily without even much thinking about it. It's like second nature to me at this point.

hIadX6o.jpg

As for the OP's final question 🤔 .... Multicolored 🤣

m8JQiJx.jpg

VxitILC.jpg

aUB1ojj.jpg

r6PNPGg.jpg

qBqpMr7.jpg

zymp7bZ.jpg

YesSir... Let's look at knives that are design for stabbing for example:

Here is your Microtech version of the "deep pocket" clip
kjv3cv.jpg

There is a bent in the middle, allowing you to grab the knife for the pommel part, and the clip, and draw, without putting pressure on the below "spring" part.
Very thoughtful design IMO for a deep pocket clip.

Here are the most "normal" knives with area behind the clip, where you can grab the pommel and draw the knife normally,
imagine, there are no fobs on the pictured knives:
3w5DOD.jpg

5dux.jpg

So people usually put deep pocket clip on a knife they want to conceal. But this make drawing very sluggish, this is where the fob is helpful.

fhsz.jpg

I usually grab the fob with swipe of my pinky and ring fingers, the move is natural, you don't have to look at your pocket.
You draw the knife out of your pocket, the wave feature opens up the blade and your middle finger, the index and thumb are ready to grab the knife and adjust the grip.
To me it's fast and reliable, done it for a long time.
Here is an example of a great fob made by @GarryGravley, attached to the clip of a normal Endura, helping to deploy the wave feature.

zzQMfW.jpg

Is that piece of leather attached to the pocket edge specifically designed to keep clips from chewing them up? Where can one find these knife pants?

Fob off!

In more detail...

1. Something that gets in the way.
2. Something I sometimes attach to knives, rediscover my dislike for, then promptly remove, partly because;
3. long ones sometimes interfere with opening and closing folding knives;
4. slimy, gooey, sticky stuff gets on the fob/lanyard when cutting such things;
5. and I don’t want to clean it off.

Those things said, the second I have a real use for one or the other, you bet your bippy I’ll use it.

Don't know if anyone has read, "Everybodies Knife Bible." There was a section on lanyards, but other than giving leverage for pulling it out of wood if it's deep in, I can't remember what other recommendations he made about them. I have the book but it's at home in another state.

What you posted is a fob. This is a lanyard. View attachment 2505593
Both are an annoyance unless they are needed. Every knife and situation is different.
What is shown here is the incorrect way to use a knife lanyard and extremely dangerous if the knife does come out of your hand.

What is shown here is the incorrect way to use a knife lanyard and extremely dangerous if the knife does come out of your hand.
Here is the correct way. Use something to make the lanyard come up snug with your hand.

Hope this helps. 👍🏼
202F3133-7EFF-4D91-B374-B2B1E0AB5994.jpeg2DB40B94-DCE5-4ACD-8B0E-F81CA93EE2F7.jpeg947F7C7F-73AE-4D90-9B27-4D23A0A5F5BD.jpegE40334DC-B825-4EB8-B743-5DDC62617B67.jpeg

YES! Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery just saved some potential injuries. Please take this in the spirit it is offered, and not as rude intent: the lanyard method in the pics posted by eveled eveled on page one are dangerous, especially as the knife increases in size. An accidental released of the handle means you now have a sharp knife swinging wildly around.

Like others, I used to hate them, and I would instantly remove them from any knife that came with them. Furthermore I'll be completely honest and say that my initial interest in them was purely for looks, and even more so just another way to tinker around with a new knife. However in actual practice I have found that they actually aid a great deal in deploying my knife

I often feel exactly the same way. But I would say for me a fob is first of all is an esthetic thing. I'm still experimenting with fobs to see if they really help in deploying the knife.

I'm still experimenting with fobs to see if they really help in deploying the knife

It's a YMMV proposition. Each person's pocket position, loadout and things down to hand size, and the ratio of your arm length relative to knife pocket position will make a difference in how you carry and deploy a knife. For some, a fob can take a clunky deployment to smooth operator lightning fast tactical ninja, whereas for others, a fob can take a knife's ergos from perfect to annoying.

I don't like fobs on folding knives. But in my opinion they definitely have at least one valid place in knifedom.

img_5218-jpeg.2480908

img_5446-jpeg.2503225

Although I have to be wary with our new puppy in the house, she has stolen my edc off my bedside table on two occasions so she can chew the paracord to pieces!

I hear ya' there. Here is a pic of my Sister-in-law's pup, some time before needing a $5K surgery for an intestinal blockage. At this time she lived in the in-law sweet attached to our house and I pretty much helped raise him. That was my daughter's paracord, and it didn't appear to be paracord that caused the blockage, but needless to say I never showed my SIL this pic ;)

He's the sweetest dog you could imagine, but he still loves to find things that he shouldn't and chew on them. He has also grown into those ears (somewhat) since then. 🤣

nZoHUL2.jpg

I enjoy the knot tying and the various beads that are available, plus it aids in drawing the knife out as well, for me at least. Especially when it is a fixed blade knife in a pouch sheath, but then I'll use what I term a bobtail fob. But on folders I have them a little longer

G2

Back