What is a lanyard to you?

I tied a piece of leather shoelace to the bail of my peanut. With a couple of knots on the end. It's maybe two inches long. It's very helpful when I carry that knife in my watch pocket. Just leave the knots out.

I've also put a real wrist length looped lanyard on my Bucklite for working around deep water. A lesson learned the hard way.

I've left the factory fob on my Inkosi too. Like it for getting the knife out of pockets and it's not in my way.

To each his own

Last edited:
For most people I think the lanyard is largely decorative. For me it serves one or both of two purposes.

1. To help me keep track of my knife/multitool. A bright color and/or at least 1 glow in the dark bead or glow marker does fine for this.

2. To help me not drop my knife/multitool on the ground. A simple loop with box knot and a cow hitch around my belt or a belt loop will do just fine.

No fancy knots for me. No fancy beads. No color matching. Just a simple black paracord loop for edc or bright orange for outdoorsy stuff. It can be attached to the knife or multitool with a cow hitch and then attached to me with another cow hitch. Basic, simple, practical. Easy to make. Easier to use.

The good thing about home spun fobs is that you can change the colours every day ā€” as long as you have time and paracord

kt3aTCo.png

Last edited:
Fobs are something "edc influencers" add to knives as an excuse to spend more money on shiny trinket trash to look good on instagram photos. Lanyards can be useful, bit absolutely no need for a pocketknife with a pocket clip to have, in my experience. I cut em off and throw em away immediately (i dont sell my knives so resale means nothing to me)

I have a small Cabelaā€™s giveaway multitool with a LED light and a 2ā€ blade, does that count?

I have better flashlights for lighting, and better knives for cutting, so I put that little thing in one of my ā€œsurvivalā€ kits. If I ever actually need it, my survival will be more impressive on the Internet by virtue of using undersized equipment.

Parker

Fobs are something "edc influencers" add to knives as an excuse to spend more money on shiny trinket trash to look good on instagram photos.

I don't much go on Instagram, so I have to post my "trinket trash" here. My only motivation is doing what pleases me.

hTNkSIj.jpg

Last edited:
My 2 cents worth.
I can see the reason to use a lanyard, I personally don't have one.
I know that a fob helps me getting a folder out of my pocket.
A fob is especially helpful with a fixed blade that has limited amount of handle exposed from the sheath.
I think a lot of us here appreciate the aesthetics of knife and a fob and bead can add to the "looks".
If tied correctly, a fob shouldn't get in the way when using a knife. See the work of Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley as a great example.
When I first started making fobs for my knives I enjoyed the craft of making certain knots and adding attractive beads, now I'm more likely to just tie a fob with an adequate size know followed by snake knots to get a good grip.
My 5 cent opinion.
The fob? that comes on CRK's are totally useless for me, they come off immediately for one of mine or nothing at all.

Im usually pretty anti lanyard. I have been carrying slip joints inside of the pocket as my main edc for the last year or so. Having a lanyard makes grabbing the knife more efficient when loose in your pocket, so Iā€™ve been using them for that.

Ok, ok everyoneā€¦ the real alpha males have spoken. Better throw away all your paracord and beads, because the lanyards and fobs you put on YOUR knives are somehow a problem. If you donā€™t, theyā€™re gonna give you a swirlie during gym class!

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Tiny cord through the split ring hole on these SAK aid in drawing the knives out of their slip sheaths without being too large or cumbersome, so there are no big knots as that isn't required for these smaller knives
G2

Back