What is the One "Must Have" Knife?

SWEDF1ZCOS.jpg

Period.

There is only one for me that I have missed out on the last three times it was offered and that is a GEC # 77 clip point red sawcut bone from CK

OK. I'll answer my own post. I'll limit it to 5 must have knives (at some point) for any knife enthusiast (in my opinion of course).

1. Opinel (7 or 8) - Knives are for cutting things, and nothing cuts like an Opinel. Besides, they are ultra cheap and cool
2. Any compact but not tiny SAK
3. Delica 4 - arguably the greatest EDC knife of all time in terms of balancing functionality, size, and weight
4. Paramilitary 2 - Well, because it's a PM2, and is great for a super wide range of uses
5. Dragonfly 2 - because it's the epitome of the small big knife. Very few folders are as light and easy to carry, yet have the fast and easy deployment plus utility of the Dragonfly.

If I had to pick just ONE of the above? It would probably be the SAK, but the SAK cheats a bit because it is a multitool. For just a knife? For me I would pick the Dragonfly 2. The blade geometry for slicing, the weight, the surprising utility for such a small knife, and its non-threatening nature make for the ultimate package for me, as well as one knife every knife enthusiast should own.

Last edited:
The reasonable choice would be a SAK. Not very sexy but very handy.

If I had to chose a US-made knife I'd take the PM2. It's just great. I don't own one because I cannot legally carry one here and am too cheap to buy a $ 200+ knife (yes, it is that expensive here) for opening letters at my desk or such as long as there are pretty legal to carry knifes that I don't already own. But I'd totally buy one if it was legal to carry.

However, I will take the Extrema Ratio BF2CD (every knife of the BF2-Series will do though). I know it's an underdog choice. A lot of people don't know this knife but it is a classic design that has been here since the mid 2000s and that is petty popular among European servicemen and policemen. IMO it's a great knife: Relatively light and slim for it's size and full metal construction, probably the best deep carry clip in the whole industry and a sturdy yet somewhat still slicey blade. This knife is sexy and still can take a beating. I'd not call it flawless and some people that criticize it for choice of washers and steel might actually be right. But it is a great companion nevertheless. Maybe my favorite knife all in all.

I just thought of a fixed blade every one should own at least once and that's the good ole Case xx Bowie. Its been around I believe since ww2 and its style is mostly unchanged for the most part. My sister got me a black handle one in 91 as a present for graduating tech school .Then it got stolen. I recently replaced it with a Cool white handle one. One of the things I learned is that many of the Smatchets Case xx made had the same style grips as my bowie.

You may, however, substitute a USN Mk1 for the Ka-Bar USMC fighting/utility knife. I have.

Zieg

1. SAK/Vic in what ever configuration is best for you
2. Syderco Delica-a lot of people are going to say PM2( which I do like more) but I think the Delica is a real classic.
3. BM Griptilian-Mini
4. CRK Sebenza-I prefer Micarta inlays
5. Non-Flipper XM-18 3.5- The original configuration of the XM is completely different from how the flippers feel in hand...sounds crazy but but I have found it to be true
6. A fixed blade from an ABS Mastersmith-find one you like! Personally I love E. Scott McGhee of Guinea Hog Forge. I try to buy a piece from him at the NC State Fair every year. My Damascus XO from him is just a joy to carry.

Back