1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What knife would you have Spyderco build for you if...

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Flatlander1963, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Flatlander1963

Flatlander1963 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Spyderco had a custom shop or would entertain custom design suggestions?

One of the things I really admire about Sal is his willingness to try new and sometimes unusual designs. Consquently I've always thought that a suggestion thread would be interesting and possibly well recieved by Spyderco.

I hope everyone can take this thread as just something fun and not get bogged down with replies such as "that has already been done" or "this current knife is close enough to that suggestion."

So, I have three "I wants" I'd like to suggest.

a. A Super Sage with a 3.3 inch blade in what ever is the most popular lock. That's a 10% increase and I think that proportional upsizing of the entire knife would be fantastic.

b. Large PPT...I'd love to see a 3.75 inch bladed version

c. TiRIL Paramilitary 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This may be already planned but what a knife to have. I really hope this one happens.

So lets hear you guys "I wants"! :)

2. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Hi Flatlander1963 -

I would have them make a folding, locking knife for a child. The knife would have no edge or point, and would be designed so that a young child could open it, and then unlock and close it by themselves.

I just recently gave my 4 year old granddaughter a Spyderco Delica that had been de-edged and the point ground off (from Stomper of JK Knives - thanks!).

She loves it, but she cannot dis-engage the lock because she does not have the hand stregth.

I posed this to Mr. Glesser, and he responded saying that he would bring the idea up at the next sales meeting!

How many other companies can you talk to the owner and bounce ideas off of them?

I find this very cool!

As far as what I would have them make for me? I already have it - the M4 Ti/G10 Knifeworks Military.

best regards -

mqqn

mqqn

3. hoopster

hoopster

Jan 12, 2007
    I'd love to see a Military with a wire clip (still tip down) and the Carbon fiber from the Sage1.

4. notrevo

notrevo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2007
    I'd love to have a tip up, H1 Military. Call it the Navy or Coast Guard.

5. pwet

pwet

Feb 13, 2009
    more ATR like integral TI compression lock.

full TI para2 for exemple. and with a cool steel.

6. J_Curd

J_Curd

Jul 26, 2006
    A tip up waved Ti/RIL Military. Same for the Para.

7. Josh K

Josh K Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Tip down H1 Military with a hollow grind and yellow G-10 scales. :D

Tip down 52100 Military with natural scales. :thumbup:

8. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    Military - M390 (Tumble Finished), Carbon Fiber (Similar to the previous variants)
    Military - 20CV (Standard Finish), Coyote Brown G10
    Military - CTS-XHP (Standard Finish), Toxic Green G10
    Yojimbo - BG-42 - Orange G10, w Full Liners like the GB
    ParaMilitary2, Gayle Bradley - In M390, BG-42, or the high end CTS or CPM steels.

9. mr-winkie01

mr-winkie01

Nov 29, 2008
    I have a few variations I'd love to see, but probably never will in the foreseeable future, but if I had the chance to get something as a production/sprint run, I'd like the following:

First on the list would be a Rock Lobster with red G10 and a titanium framelock, boasting an S90V blade.

Another one would be the original Manix with a full flat ground M4 steel and carbon Fiber handle slabs.

Last would be a Centofonte 3 with G10 handle slabs boasting a ZDP-189 blade.

Costs would probably keeps these knives in my dreams, although the G10 Centofonte 3 would be the most likely be a possibility if there was enough demand...

10. elkins45

elkins45

Jun 17, 2006
    Sage 2 with 3.5" blade.

Para 2 with the wire clip...actually the Super Leaf might just be close enough.

Ti RIL Para 2 with the Ti skeletonized to drop the weight a bit...and the wire clip.

Can you tell I like the wire clip?

11. Tony8179

Tony8179

Feb 20, 2008
    I'll definitely take a tip up Ti Compression framelock Para with a ZDP-189, S90V, or S110V blade.

12. michaelm466

michaelm466 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Para 2 with Ti/G10 or peelply carbon fiber, Frame compression lock with S90V

13. bodankers

bodankers

Jul 15, 2007
    1. Military Orange G10 SE S90V
    2. Paramilitary 2 Ti- Integral compression lock - S90V tip down with the original Millie clip!
    3. Massad Ayoob G10 FFG SE VG10
    4. Gayle Bradley M4 Black or brown Micarta

..... and of course a C44 Dyad with VG10!

Bo

14. steadyimpact

steadyimpact

Oct 28, 2010
    Military with a nice blade steel and a toxic green handle!

Sage 1 with a 3.5" blade. Can you say perfection?

15. average gimp

average gimp

Jun 5, 2009
    1) Waved Delica with a FFG wharncliffe blade.

2) Waved Endura with a FFG wharncliffe blade.

3) Waved Police with a double-edged blade a la Charlie Mike.

4) Would scrap all the above for an etched framelock version of the Dragonfly, with all the jimping of the current G-10 model.

16. John E Woven

John E Woven

Oct 31, 2009
    Compression lock military.

17. Dorito Monk

Dorito Monk

Nov 17, 2008
    - Caly 3.5 with Orange G10 scales (a la Orange UKPK).
    - Caly 3 with sculpted Lignum Vitae Scales, CPM154 blade
    - Orange G10 Para 2 with Ti framelock (a la M4 military)
    - Dodo with Caged Ball Lock, Orange G10 (seeing a pattern here? :p), fully serrated.
    - A production version of the knife pictured below (EDIT: pic courtesy of the maker, http://www.sthiel.fr/accueil.html). So much better looking than the production one, imho.
    - Cocobolo handled UKPK
    - The first Fred Perrin fixed blade with Lignum vitae handles, CPM3V blade.

[​IMG]

18. RevDevil

RevDevil Super Evil Supermod Staff Member Super Mod

Nov 9, 2009
    That is already being produced: Para2 with carbon fiber and an S90V blade.

19. Ankerson

Ankerson Knife and Computer Geek Platinum Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Military with Tip up and M390 Steel.

Military with Tip up and S110V Steel.

20. Jason B.

Jason B. KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 13, 2007
    52100 full convex to zero millie with natural micarta, white micarta or milled G10 an Ti frame lock.

A lum tanto with a more traditional blade shape, ZDP san mai, damascus sides, bamboo handles, frame lock.