What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by Nathan the Machinist, Jul 9, 2016.

1. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    I can totally see that. Kind of a problem for a company that prides itself on making abuse resistant knives to toss something like that into the wild, especially with youtoob and such.

But one can dream of the effortlessness of cutting string, paper, cardboard, and opening amazon boxes, and never really having to sharpen it.

gk4ever2, .357gus, Mike157 and 3 others like this.
  2. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    D2 EDC...you're welcome;)

20200805_211725.jpg

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    Oyster, .357gus, Mike157 and 14 others like this.
  3. Meridian

Meridian Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2020
    I would like to see a CPK Scandi grind Puukko and/or Leuku. Maybe a high scandi grind like Malanika.

Just ordered my first CPK knife in a standard FK2 with burlap micarta. I can hardly wait to take it camping, choosing netween the h&t with 90 degree spine or standard was rough. I figure the standard will be a bit tougher as its thicker with abit lower rc. It will be a big step up from my Garberg and Terava jaakaripuuko 140. The FK2 will compliment my LT Wright Lagom nicely.

This site and forum is great, so much to learn, BAD for the wallet though hahaha.

Box_Opener, Keoneloa, .357gus and 7 others like this.
  4. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    A CPK designed small forest axe. If it goes well, something a little bigger for splitting rounds.

Box_Opener, Big DJ, Keoneloa and 6 others like this.
  5. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    You think this would need forged? I can't imagine the plate steel CPK would start with if it was to be machined?

Mike157, .357gus and Odog27 like this.
  6. JustinFournier

JustinFournier Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2012
    I do believe they do big enough runs that they can get custom to spec. Maybe order bars and cut them into billets? I’m not sure if it’s possible.

Mike157, .357gus and Odog27 like this.
  7. ronnie hood

ronnie hood

Mar 12, 2018
    Please not a small forest axe :(

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    The Virginian, Keoneloa and Odog27 like this.
  8. - SpyderMan -

- SpyderMan - Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2015
    Ditto!

Keoneloa, Odog27 and Mike157 like this.
  9. gunslinger387

gunslinger387 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Not a knife. A CPK inspired mini-crowbar with a built in church key.

BIGDORK, Mike157, .357gus and 3 others like this.
  10. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    How about a 5" UF :cool:

Mike157, BIGDORK, gk4ever2 and 3 others like this.
  11. The Virginian

The Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Any of the following:

(1) Potato Knife. Would love a preorder. Could sell them for a LOT more than they sold for before. Even at $350, I knew I would be in for a couple.

(2) Billy Mace Imel tribute dagger. Again, would love a preorder.

(3) Shiv / Pig Sticker. Even more love for a preorder.

(4) Hollow ground drop point hunter (can CPK manufacturing techniques support a hollow ground blade?)

(5) Instead of a folder . . . how about something like a stiff horn?

Mike157, BIGDORK, vkp78 and 3 others like this.
  12. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I'm still praying for a B&T sometime in thin blade stock sharpened at about 15 DPS. In the optimized AEB-L ... or perhaps bust out the D2 that was used on the Skinner before I found my way here. ... jus sayin ... that would be my bestest buddy (next to my dogs) through fall and winter hunting birds.

Pàdruig, Mike157, BIGDORK and 7 others like this.
  13. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    If I remember right, the boot dagger is a wonderfully complex hollow grind. I think Nathan can pull it off :cool:

Mike157, vkp78, .357gus and 3 others like this.
  14. The Virginian

Feb 24, 2010
    Pray tell, where is this boot dagger of which you speak? o_O

Mike157, woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  15. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Steady...

Mike157, woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  16. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    woodysone and Odog27 like this.
  17. The Virginian

Feb 24, 2010
    Mike157, woodysone, Odog27 and 2 others like this.
  18. kurpak

kurpak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2008
    HDFK sized camp knife tipped more towards the food prep\slicey\stabby\turkey carving spectrum v.s. the chopping\batoning\whacking\log killing spectrum.

Mike157, Box_Opener, co556guy and 6 others like this.
  19. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    I really like this.

My favorite 6" class knife is a custom I had made out of 5/16" steel, almost ffg (but tall blade, so it's a slicing mofo).

It's so light on the belt, cuts through things like butter, and can still be used for lighter wood prep to good effect.

And because it's better at the tasks I do more often and doesnt pull my pants down (mind you, I've got a pistol and 2x mags on my belt already.....) like the heavier knives do.

.357gus, Mike157, Box_Opener and 4 others like this.
  20. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    I absolutely agree! What I really like about CPK is the consistent high quality. One thing I would add to your list is: CPK knives are sharp – consistently really sharp! The edge angles are the same, from the tip to the handle. I was pleasantly surprised how sharp even the large knives like the Behemoth and Behemother are.

A CPK competitor brags about their customer service, and that's good to a point. If you have a problem, send it back they say (at your expense) – in my opinion, in many cases the problem should have been caught at the factory, so the customer does not need to return it!

I was recently looking at a well-known brand of rifle scopes, considering one of their top-of-the-line models. Users talked about some of the scopes having problems, but how great the customer service is. If the scope breaks when someone really needs it, who f'ing cares about their great customer service!

Make it right the first time, and from my experience this is what CPK does – well done Nathan, Jo and crew! :thumbsup::):thumbsup:

ps, I realize any manufacturing process can have problems, and that not every single item will be perfect, but I am tired of hearing from other manufacturers "just send it back" being used to excuse sloppy manufacturing and/or poor quality control, especially on high-end expensive products! :mad:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    .357gus, co556guy, woodysone and 7 others like this.