What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

What's the S stand for in front of the HDFK? Slightly? Swanky? Super?

We're doing a run of a few simplified knives at a competitive price point for distribution on Amazon. They handle the distribution, which is one of our bottlenecks. We're going to continue offering our best in class (very high performance, detailed, semi custom) here on Bladeforums, but I'm spreading my wings a little with our new growing manufacturing capacity and entering a somewhat less niche area with some slightly simpler and more "consumer" grade knives and I thought a Super Duty Field Knife would be a good entry for that. Here's a knife that cuts well, stays sharp, can't be broken and can even be hammered thought a 1/4" bolt without damage. You guys are accustom to magic, but "normal" people are going to lose their minds. It will be a little thicker and more obtuse primary geometry with simplified geometry all around. Still Delta 3V. Still heads and shoulders better than the usual offerings that people are familiar with out there, but not quite dialed to 11 like our high end work here to get it closer to the price point "normal people" are comfortable with.

We generally strive to make the highest performance knives that we're able to make with the high end metallurgy and manufacturing processes that we utilize here, which involves balancing durability with cutting performance with a nod towards cutting performance with the knowledge that our audience here are experienced knife users that know how to use a knife so we can lean a little thin. However there are plenty of "normal" people out there with very low expectations because they've been using cheap Walmart knives and other mass produced garbage who might be looking to graduate to something a little more advanced and these folks may not be looking for a race knife but will be attracted to something that is practically unbreakable and doesn't go dull in a timeframe they're familiar with. I hate to say we're going "main stream", but I want to starting getting out there a little and introduce our brand to "normal people". No offence to you lot of miscreants.

This is an experiment. Can we make a basic knife and sell it on a platform that non-knife-nuts are familiar with. I'm going to start with an SDFK.

We're doing a run of a few simplified knives at a competitive price point for distribution on Amazon. They handle the distribution, which is one of our bottlenecks. We're going to continue offering our best in class (very high performance, detailed, semi custom) here on Bladeforums, but I'm spreading my wings a little with our new growing manufacturing capacity and entering a somewhat less niche area with some slightly simpler and more "consumer" grade knives and I thought a Super Duty Field Knife would be a good entry for that. Here's a knife that cuts well, stays sharp, can't be broken and can even be hammered thought a 1/4" bolt without damage. You guys are accustom to magic, but "normal" people are going to lose their minds. It will be a little thicker and more obtuse primary geometry with simplified geometry all around. Still Delta 3V. Still heads and shoulders better than the usual offerings that people are familiar with out there, but not quite dialed to 11 like our high end work here to get it closer to the price point "normal people" are comfortable with.

We generally strive to make the highest performance knives that we're able to make with the high end metallurgy and manufacturing processes that we utilize here, which involves balancing durability with cutting performance with a nod towards cutting performance with the knowledge that our audience here are experienced knife users that know how to use a knife so we can lean a little thin. However there are plenty of "normal" people out there with very low expectations because they've been using cheap Walmart knives and other mass produced garbage who might be looking to graduate to something a little more advanced and these folks may not be looking for a race knife but will be attracted to something that is practically unbreakable and doesn't go dull in a timeframe they're familiar with. I hate to say we're going "main stream", but I want to starting getting out there a little and introduce our brand to "normal people". No offence to you lot of miscreants.

This is an experiment. Can we make a basic knife and sell it on a platform that non-knife-nuts are familiar with. I'm going to start with an SDFK.

This is very exciting news. I look forward to seeing your "budget" line. Very cool.

Very cool! I have two friends that would definitely be interested in one of those.

Well this new development could make Christmas gift giving easier and wake up the slumbering masses (in my family) who can't get a grip on why great knives blow my dress up ;) :D

I think of SDFK - means - STARTER Duty Field Knife.

Congratulations.

Congratulations. I wish you all the success in the world as you and Jo deserve it.

Very cool for you guys! Can you give us an idea of timeframe and cost? What will be the difference if it’s not dialed to 11? I can’t see you releasing a knife that isn’t awesome even at a discount.

I can’t wait to get my hands on one of these so I can show it off to all of my outdoorsy friends that aren’t knife nerds.
They’ll spend big bucks on the latest pack, tent or fishing equipment, but their knives are nothing to write home about.

Excellent news! We know what your 110% effort is, and now wondering how your 100% will look like. Would offer it for sale only on Amazon so we folks can buy it from there and review it.

Congratulations to you guys! I think this is great news. I know a few people who would love to get into CPK but just need a lower price point.

Hopefully a few make it past the lot of miscreants to the general population:D

Damn it! I will have to buy these as well.

Nathan,

First and foremost I wish you and Jo and the crew lots of success wherever this business leads you.

You have built a very respected and revered brand with many loyal customers in our forum community here. That is a result of your passion for perfected designs, materials, and processes that are proven out through extensive R&D. It is also based on your active participation in this forum that is much appreciated and adds a personal connection to the fabulous knives we cherish. The relatively limited availability and cache of scoring one is part of the intrinsic value. I say this as someone who regularly just misses the cut on most Friday sales. I hope that mystique never fades away.

My hope is that this new commercial line enhances the brand rather than diluting it. It would bring a tear to my eye if it ever gets to the point where all my CPK’s arrived in clamshell packaging in an Amazon box. There will be no emotional thrill in that like opening Jo’s famous double-knot packaging. I feel sorry for the unwashed masses who will buy these based solely on price and Prime shipping rather than a personal understanding of the heart and soul that your team infuses into every knife.

Again, best of luck with this new venture!

Phil

I wish you all the best of success with this endeavor.

If you ever read through real Amazon reviews, not the fake ones, you will find an incredible amount of people making 1 star ratings with ridiculous complaints.

I sincerely hope that you don’t have many problems with that, but expect people way pickier than you are used to who only want to pay a fraction of the cost we on the forums will.

I await the telling of stories in your usual capturing and entertaining way!

I wish you all the best of success with this endeavor.

If you ever read through real Amazon reviews, not the fake ones, you will find an incredible amount of people making 1 star ratings with ridiculous complaints.

I sincerely hope that you don’t have many problems with that, but expect people way pickier than you are used to who only want to pay a fraction of the cost we on the forums will.

I await the telling of stories in your usual capturing and entertaining way!

I am steadfast against Nathan selling on Amazon and have been somewhat vociferous about the idea in the past. There are many shill 1-Star and 5-Star reviews on Amazon and that crap will hurt the brand. I am not sure as to how mating up with them will help in achieving the goal of having enough stocks at hand unless the business is aspiring to hire more production line smiths to pursue that avenue. I think that the idea of producing more "affordable" CPKs for the less so-called finicky and average-knifeusing-joe is a great idea for CPK but I am not sold at all on the conduit for doing it. However, I do wish Nathan & Jo the best for their endeavors to go beyond BF.com and Blade Shows.

I am steadfast against Nathan selling on Amazon and have been somewhat vociferous about the idea in the past. There are many shill 1-Star and 5-Star reviews on Amazon and that crap will hurt the brand. I am not sure as to how mating up with them will help in achieving the goal of having enough stocks at hand unless the business is aspiring to hire more production line smiths to pursue that avenue. I think that the idea of producing more "affordable" CPKs for the less so-called finicky and average-knifeusing-joe is a great idea for CPK but I am not sold at all on the conduit for doing it. However, I do wish Nathan & Jo the best for their endeavors to go beyond BF.com and Blade Shows.

This post pretty much summarizes my tepid enthusiasm too. Love the idea of a more prosaic CPK but I am not at all enthusiastic about using Amazon as the venue to reach the masses. One thing to sell through various other knife vendors but all together a different thing to throw the CPKs into the Amazon grab bag right along side the Master Tactical Rambo Survival Knives. :confused:
My 2¢.

Well, we know that half of the CPK knives sold on Amazon, will be purchased by us. So that will put up a good Five star buffer. We also know that anyone who gives a one or two star review is either ignorant and really doesn’t know anything about knives, or has so much personal baggage that they can’t ever find reality. I’ll start a Go Fund Me campaign to hunt them down and put them in the appropriate institution - without Wi-Fi.

I look forward to this new CPK venture with excitement. I expect, Nathan and Jo will have to purchase another machine to keep up! Mike

Back