What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Something that will fold, would surely be gold.
Add keenness* of blade...and the table is laid.

(* "Keenness" is standing in as proxy for toughness and corrosion resistance as well. It's a hard job, but someone CPK has to do it.)

A bushcraft knife. More specifically, bushtool or woodlore profile with a scandi grind. Delta 3V will excel at zero grind scandi. I use my zero grind scandi knives with extra care as they are very time consuming to sharpen when chipped and would like to see if Delta 3V would allow me to use them with less worry :)

I do not see MagnaCut as a contender to be as durable as 3V for zero scandi grind. The point of requesting such a knife in 3V is the possibility it gives to use the knife with little less care (i.e. being little more flexible without worrying about edge damage).

Of course, hardness and edge roll come into play too. I would consider 3V for 60.5-61. It should be tough enough not to roll easily. If not then I would take CruWear at 61-62. If that is still not hard enough, meaning edge rolls before it chips. Then yes, MagnaCut will have a shot :)

6103bfd8-34bf-4a61-afae-a9e2bce6945a_200_10.gif

I do not see MagnaCut as a contender to be as durable as 3V for zero scandi grind. The point of requesting such a knife in 3V is the possibility it gives to use the knife with little less care (i.e. being little more flexible without worrying about edge damage).

Of course, hardness and edge roll come into play too. I would consider 3V for 60.5-61. It should be tough enough not to roll easily. If not then I would take CruWear at 61-62. If that is still not hard enough, meaning edge rolls before it chips. Then yes, MagnaCut will have a shot :)
I like magnacut for the application since the edge is so well supported by the steep primary bevels. The additional toughness of the 3V is good, but to my way of thinking I'd prefer greater corrosion resistance since that will also do damage to the edge. That's my rationale, for what it's worth

I like magnacut for the application since the edge is so well supported by the steep primary bevels. The additional toughness of the 3V is good, but to my way of thinking I'd prefer greater corrosion resistance since that will also do damage to the edge. That's my rationale, for what it's worth
Agreed. If I wanted a stainless bushcraft knife, Magnacut or AEBL would be the answer. I have an AEBL bushtool at 62HRC with around 2.5 spine thickness and acute bevel angles. It is a great slicer and carver but still can take edge damage in the form of a microchip if not used carefully. When I say carefully, I am not talking about buttoning, things like forced chest lever cut through knots in dried wood. I am not a huge fan of steep angles on thick knives either, they are certainly good for battonning and feather making as the steeper angles are not inclined to bite as deep. It is also worth mentioning that I sharpen those knives to hair whittling level as I really like the feeling of carving wood with an extremely sharp knife. So, that level of sharpness (i.e. fine edge) also makes the edge susceptible to microchips. So, that is why I suggested 3V over other steels as long as 60.5 HRC edge does not roll in decent use. Which I think should not be as I am not having problems with my 59 HRC 01-52100 scandi knives.

Back