What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Just out of curiosity, have you tried using the Teklok to cant the sheath at about 45 degrees (at 10-11 o'clock, allows for right crosshanded draw or left icepick draw. Reverse for lefties)? Or would that take up too much real estate on the belt (understandable with a duty/battle belt)? Other option would be getting a spare sheath to mount on the PC so you can easily switch to the PC mount.

Specifically when pairing a fixed blade with a PC, I personally prefer something in the 4" - 6" blade range.
I can see a 4" blade...but personally, though I no longer wear a PC, I think 6" would be a bit much.

I guess if it works, it works, but it wouldn't be my choice. Hard to dial in perfection...that's for certain.

I can see a 4" blade...but personally, though I no longer wear a PC, I think 6" would be a bit much.
For my set up I think 4” is the max blade length. It’s a pretty desperate situation where I would need to draw this “dream knife knife” quickly. An additional 2” that slows the draw wouldn’t be worth the time it took when I am in a “get the F off me” situation.

For my set up I think 4” is the max blade length. It’s a pretty desperate situation where I would need to draw this “dream knife knife” quickly. An additional 2” that slows the draw wouldn’t be worth the time it took when I am in a “get the F off me” situation.
Obviously different than CPK, but for that limited usage...have you considered any of Craig Douglas' (ShivWorks / SouthNarc) blades?

(He gifted me a push dagger a while back which occasionally finds itself in my carry rotation.) The push dagger and Clinch Pick were designed exactly for the "get off me" scenario and would be easy to affix to your gear unobtrusively. (I have no connection with Craig nor his business in any fashion other than as friends who have worked in the same area of LE and with colleagues in common.)

Totally agree on the 4" limit, personally.

I guess if it works, it works, but it wouldn't be my choice. Hard to dial in perfection...that's for certain.
Overall, I'd agree. A 4" works and is compact enough to not be a PITA.

Preferences differ, but to me, there would be very limited use case for a 6" like the UF/UF2, that being extended patrols in the boonies, where the 'Utility' portion may come into greater play, and even then, a 4" blade is a very common size for field utility use, and that specific need is a use case scenario for a very small percentage of people.

It's also one of the reasons that of all the CPKs in the wild, the one that I've never actively pursued is the Shiv. Not saying that I wouldn't be down for an integral Shiv whenever Nathan gets around to it (simply because the Shiv IS the iconic representation of CPK in their logo), but it's the one CPK that I didn't ever see myself carrying or using.

The Shiv is a very specific knife, for very specific purposes and between the size and design/use optimization, it would be a 100% display only knife for me. Even the UF2 with fancy wood scales and trimmings/bells&whistles is something that I might carry and use in a nice custom leather sheath.

Last edited:
Overall, I'd agree. A 4" works and is compact enough to not be a PITA.

Preferences differ, but to me, there would be very limited use case for a 6" like the UF/UF2, that being extended patrols in the boonies, where the 'Utility' portion may come into greater play, and even then, a 4" blade is a very common size for field utility use, and that specific need is a use case scenario for a very small percentage of people.

It's also one of the reasons that of all the CPKs in the wild, the one that I've never actively pursued is the Shiv. Not saying that I wouldn't be down for an integral Shiv whenever Nathan gets around to it (simply because the Shiv IS the iconic representation of CPK in their logo), but it's the one CPK that I didn't ever see myself carrying or using.

The Shiv is a very specific knife, for very specific purposes and between the size and design/use optimization, it would be a 100% display only knife for me. Even the UF2 with fancy wood scales and trimmings/bells&whistles is something that I might carry and use in a nice custom leather sheath.

Totally spot on and is why the longest knives in my collection are the HDFK and UF but they also see the LEAST use. I mean, my Boot Daggers see NO use at all but that's another story.

The DEK1 is my most used CPK but I wouldn't mind a slightly shorter version.

I was looking at the various models in the CPK encyclopedia. A striking aspect of the shiv is the fuller. It looks fantastic. I see too many these days with a straight milled slot, straight plunge at the ends. Sorry, but that looks terrible. Look at pieces by Sam Lurquin for an organic fuller, often curving. We know Nathan could do that easily if it made sense in the design.

Long story short, I'd like to see a mini shiv with roughly a 4-1/2" blade.

My vote would be for a DEK1, with a 3.75” blade, thinner stock (0.10-0.125), and a hollow grind. Magnacut would be great, if available.
I second this, but wouldn't mind keeping the stock the same thickness and the grind the same. An optional swedge would be nice too. No specific preference on steel, but something that can function as a quickly deployed knife from the 10:30-1:30 O'clock positions (anterior midline as High Noon) would be very slick, and get a ton of use from me. Anything with a 3.5-3.7" blade length appears to be a sweet spot for use cases for this kind of knife. I would even curve the pommel ever so slightly to allow for a more positive retention when grabbing the knife from either side.

**warning: it's a Saturday night and I have had a couple**

I second this, but wouldn't mind keeping the stock the same thickness and the grind the same. An optional swedge would be nice too. No specific preference on steel, but something that can function as a quickly deployed knife from the 10:30-1:30 O'clock positions (anterior midline as High Noon) would be very slick, and get a ton of use from me. Anything with a 3.5-3.7" blade length appears to be a sweet spot for use cases for this kind of knife. I would even curve the pommel ever so slightly to allow for a more positive retention when grabbing the knife from either side.

I keep thinking about modding the DEK1. I love the handle on it more than on any other knife I have ever owned. If the blade length was shortened to 3.5-3.75" with a proportional shortening of the handle, I think that could be "the one." With the same grind, a swedge, and MAYBE a touch thinner stock I think it would be spectacular. The devil is always in the details, so fielding a prototype would be an absolute must. But I would completely be on board for something like that. Magnacut, D3V, or whatever: I would buy anything CPK that might fit the bill just to see if it did. I can always sell it if it doesn't work out... Mounting a knife on a belt only makes the sheath used, right?

**warning: it's a Saturday night and I have had a couple**

I keep thinking about modding the DEK1. I love the handle on it more than on any other knife I have ever owned. If the blade length was shortened to 3.5-3.75" with a proportional shortening of the handle, I think that could be "the one." With the same grind, a swedge, and MAYBE a touch thinner stock I think it would be spectacular. The devil is always in the details, so fielding a prototype would be an absolute must. But I would completely be on board for something like that. Magnacut, D3V, or whatever: I would buy anything CPK that might fit the bill just to see if it did. I can always sell it if it doesn't work out... Mounting a knife on a belt only makes the sheath used, right?
You want the Boker Roundhouse.

You want the Boker Roundhouse.
Great knife! The designer is alright too🤣

20201110_180118.jpg

I've been sketching up some kerambit type things as a result of your previous post and am currently working in steel on the latter suggestion
Lorien,
Anyway I could get t to see those sketches?
I recently finished finalizing my design if you
Would like to see it as well? As I'd like to pick your brain on it if that would be OK? Thank for your time!...

FRC505 aka Frank Cervantes

Back