What knife would you use to kill a bear?

Under ideal circumstances, I would want a Busse Ruck in my hand - Fast, Long, Tough, and Sharp

The Busse AK would be my 2nd choice

Hope I never see that day :D

Koolaid?

You can carry any knife you feel like... I realy wont care as im going to out run you and leave you behind. Unless you are prepared before hand and got every thing set up just so in your favor. Killing a bear is more luck then brain. Im sure it happens as someone has to win the lotto or in vegas.. But the chances are you would lose. How often you hear of someone killing a bear and how often you hear of a bear killing someone. Twice i came on a bear while hiking. In person they are much much bigger then in pics.
Exactly how big is the knife you want to carry???? For me its the bigest gun that i could shoot. A knife is something you use just to make him work harder and with hopes that you went down fighting.
http://www.russianbearhunt.com/

Sasha

While a double guard is a better idea, believe me, the adrenalin rush through you at the time you wont even notice your blade cutting your hand to the bone.

Got better things to worry about presently ;)

Skam

I think that people have more of a shot killing a bear than most here admit.

Much of what happens depends on the FIGHT in the man or woman...some folks just roll over and die...some dont.

I give a one on one fight to the bear, if I was making odds for Vegas...but .

A 200 lb juvenile black bear maybe.

Humans are great predators given time and planning. When a bear is stalking you and gives you 2 seconds to react you are done. Make no mistake when in large bear country humans are part of the food chain and we aint at the top.

The toughest, strongest most badass human can still be decapitated or nearly cut in half with one paw swipe form a decent sized bear with intent.

The size of the fight in the dog plays a small role and depends on the bears intent. If that big griz wants you, your war face means nothing.

I think people have it right in this thread. They are the apex predator in their environment and must be treated as such.

Skam

I'd bring a busse...any busse. Then I'd spend a couple hours telling the bear what a super fantastic knife it is. Once the bear is sound asleep...nearly in a coma...I'd get a big stick and bash his brains in.

If I didn't have a knife I'd sit there and cry like a baby, whining about not having contact with people and how afraid I am of bears. The bear will either put me out of my misery with a swift death, or feel sorry for me and go buy me a burger.

Sorry, in jest, couldn't help it.

I'd bring a busse...any busse. Then I'd spend a couple hours telling the bear what a super fantastic knife it is. Once the bear is sound asleep...nearly in a coma...I'd get a big stick and bash his brains in.

If I didn't have a knife I'd sit there and cry like a baby, whining about not having contact with people and how afraid I am of bears. The bear will either put me out of my misery with a swift death, or feel sorry for me and go buy me a burger.

Sorry, in jest, couldn't help it.

best answer so far:p:thumbup:

Skammer, yes the adrenalin is going to be kicking in, now whether you or I or who ever might or might not notice that you/ they just cut your/they fingers is debateable. Every one is different, but hear is the point where do you want your hande at when in a fight? You want your hand on the handle of you knife and death gripping that knife so if you have to plunge your knife over and over. If you have cut fingers that means you got blood on your hands and the knife now which makes things slippery. Now you have cut fingers or maybe even missing a finger or 2:eek:. And if your knife is still stuck in bone or what ever and you still need to try and keep a hold of it.

With slippery or a couple of fingers missing that puts you at even more of a disadvantage. And in a fight you want every advantage you can have. One thing about a guard on the top and bottom is that you can hook your finger around the guard to help pull it back out. No so with your Ray Mears guardless look alike knife or your Swiss Army knife, Case Peanut stuff like that.

These animals that attack are normally think they need to defend there young OR they are so stinking hungry that all they want to do is get some food into there bellies. maybe they have been injured or what ever and they see you and food is food to them human or an other animal.

You know if these animal attacks were even less than what we have seen over the last few years this might not even be a topic, But animal attacks are happening more and more. So it can happen.

I know for myself I want every advantage.

Years ago when I was in the Marines and we were going through hand to hand training. I remember one First Sergeant telling us new Marines that when you are in a fight TRY to put every advantage on your side if you do that you might just live to see the next sunrise.

So if you are walking along that trail or sitting at your camp and making up fuzzsticks and the next thing you know you are being attacked I know for myself I do not want the guardless Ray Mears look a like,or a
Swiss Army classic ( as some have said they would use), to fight off a bear or any other animal that is thinking I am part of the food chain.

I spend a fair amount of time out in the woods ( as a tree cutter -- I do not cut trees in town all out in the timber-- and since I live on a farm) I have never been attacked by a wild animal. I have had 2 seperate times runs in with wild dogs while out in the woods. I was not attacked, but I did have my bigger knives on me at the time and did pull them out and was at the ready. At times depending on where I am at I will carry my hand gun on my side.
I just had to yell and wave my arms and they left, but the next time it might not go that way.

Just something to think about. having cut and bleeding fingers whether adrenalin has kicked in or not IS not something I want when in a fight for life.

Bryan

legend has it that a man once wrote to union cutlery to say that he had killed a bear with one of their knives.
the writing was quite bad but that's where apparently the name Ka-Bar (killed a bear) materialized.
but seriously, a man has to be just as huge to take on a bear.
it might help if he has an extra long knife.
dang! make that a roman short sword for a bare minimum.

Something like this wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

1078.jpg

GIRLYmann,

I never heard that about the Ka-bar or killed a bear lol Neat story.
You know you right taking on a bear, I know that just makes me think YUCK.
how many people have lived to tell about it? some live and some do not.

I think about that couple that the first poster mentioned. They are at there camp site and having a great time and then before they can really know what is going on they have a bear that has come into there camp and is attacking the lady. The guy pulls out a Swiss army knife. Now I am not saying that if that fellow had had a bigger knife that he would have been able to save his wife. But don't WE ALL want to be more prepared and try to put EVERY advantage on our side? I should say with in the laws of the area you are in. maybe you feel that being judged by 12 is better than being carried by 6 a better way to go. Again it comes down to choice. Carry what you think is best for you.
Instead of a knife a gun sure would have been better yet. I think most would agree there.
Heck even just shooting a gun in the air might have been enought to scare that bear away (who really knows). Now before some one says the husband could have tried to shoot the bear and instead ended up shooting his wife. Yes that could happen. Training is key. That is why we are sharing and learning info here. So we can be prepared in case the what IF were to happen. But since this is not about what gun would take to a human / bear fight. Knives are the talk of the day. and don't we all love knives :D? Is there the perfect knife? I think there are combos that are better than just trying one tool.

I like how in the book Six Ways In and Twelve Ways Out. On page 134 the is says the the Instructor cadre of the United States Rescue and Special Operations Group prescibe a 2 blade system If at all possible.
The first blade is a 6" to 10" blade and the second a smaller blade of some type. on page 135 they have a pic of the 6" to 10" knife in a sheath and then a muliti tool like the leatherman super tool as the smaller tool for doing what cutting chores the smaller cutting tool might be used for. With that combo the average person could do most cutting chores in life. Now that does not mean you can not add in one or more cutting tools.

I know I do. I carry every day a 5.5" to 6" fixed blade Warthorn or a 1-0 knife on my belt. and on the sheath for my belt knife I have a pouch that holds a smaller fixed blade knife with no handles called a firestriker knife. But when I head for the timber I sling my One Zero knife with a 10" blade length over my shoulder that I carry in the baldric carry and that 10" knife become my main user. Trail clearing, brush cutting, spilting wood and shaving fuzzstick for my fires, cutting poles for shelter making, and defending myself IF need be etc. Who knows what may happen to you that day.

The what IFs do happen.

Bushman5 What you said is so true. some live and some die.
We live in a society that for some it is still just a shock for them to believe that something can happen to them:eek: or that they might have to defend them selves:eek:.

Bigcounty lol thanks for the support, but there have been some attacks where the guy used a buck 110 and did kill the animal, any knife is better than no knife. Like you, myself and others lol , still want the Slanted double guard with the Warthorn / 1-0 blade shape, maybe even the Sojourner blade shape ( mistwalker and I have been talking about it lol) if I get to have my choice.:D.

Bryan

Back