What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

How do you like the covers?
I really like them and I think they will only get better with age and some pocket carry wear.

The fit and finish is top notch, really the only complaint is that the backspring is a hair proud when open, but not enough to bother me and we will see how it breaks in. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if everyone wasn't complaining about it!

I really like them and I think they will only get better with age and some pocket carry wear.

The fit and finish is top notch, really the only complaint is that the backspring is a hair proud when open, but not enough to bother me and we will see how it breaks in. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if everyone wasn't complaining about it!
:D:D

Sounds like you got a good one. I'm excited to get these covers in had and check em out!

Putting it to work.

9FisnnJ.jpg

There have been complaints of proud back springs in the open and closed position. Not a hint in the closed position on mine:

pM0T8Td.jpg

Just a tiny bit proud open:
owqoZoR.jpg

Considering a retail price ~$60 it’s hard to complain. Now, if one were to pay $200+ I could see having a bit of buyer’s remorse.

Apologies on just dropping in on this thread, I don’t know if I’ve ever done more than admire here.
My friend recently inherited a barlow from his grandfather and I’m having trouble finding much information on it and was hoping the wealth of knowledge here could help.
It’s a Schrade Barlow with a clip and pen blade. Covers are white, plastic I suppose, with New Holland’s brand scribed into it. The tang stamp, which is throwing me for a loop, says
“Schrade
Ireland”
Not really interested in value of it, as I’m sure it’s priceless to him. But, maybe a year(s?) these were produced, where they were made (Ireland I would assume :p), steel used, maybe even how many were produced, if by chance someone knew?
We live in a rural area and I imagine he bought it off the counter at the new holland dealer 30 miles away some years ago.
My best guess on year would be the early 90’s to early 2000’s. It’s proven hard to find much information at all on the “Schrade Ireland” stamp though, let alone information on this particular ag branded barlow.

Similar example of his knife
60865-AAE-7477-4-E69-B343-3-A76-D51-B16-B7.jpg

Apologies on just dropping in on this thread, I don’t know if I’ve ever done more than admire here.
My friend recently inherited a barlow from his grandfather and I’m having trouble finding much information on it and was hoping the wealth of knowledge here could help.
It’s a Schrade Barlow with a clip and pen blade. Covers are white, plastic I suppose, with New Holland’s brand scribed into it. The tang stamp, which is throwing me for a loop, says
“Schrade
Ireland”
Not really interested in value of it, as I’m sure it’s priceless to him. But, maybe a year(s?) these were produced, where they were made (Ireland I would assume :p), steel used, maybe even how many were produced, if by chance someone knew?
We live in a rural area and I imagine he bought it off the counter at the new holland dealer 30 miles away some years ago.
My best guess on year would be the early 90’s to early 2000’s. It’s proven hard to find much information at all on the “Schrade Ireland” stamp though, let alone information on this particular ag branded barlow.

Similar example of his knife
60865-AAE-7477-4-E69-B343-3-A76-D51-B16-B7.jpg
Try looking up some info about Imperial Ireland. I don’t know much about this, and so am hesitant to put my haphazard and incomplete knowledge out there, but I think your date range is close. Probably after 1988 (when Schrade replaced Imperial stamps) and before 2004.

Last edited:
Try looking up some info about Imperial Ireland. I don’t know much about this, and so am hesitant to put my haphazard and incomplete knowledge out there, but I think your date range is close. Probably after 1988 (when Schrade replaced Imperial stamps) and before 2004.
Thanks for the tip, that’s kind of how I got my date range so I wasn’t too sure of how accurate it would be. I’ll do some more digging on the Imperial side.

Side-by-side comparison of glitter and rose gold with accurate colors. Taken with Canon 5D MKIII full frame DSLR mounted to Canon EF100L IS macro lens. Shot in RAW, converted in Photoshop CS using Adobe Camera Raw and Color Checker (grey squares across the top) to set accurate white balance. Zero color boost. Zero filters. Hosted on my web site so I have complete control of my photos, not altered by IG, FB or any other social medial platforms / hosting services (they compress your pics ... makes your jpgs smaller but loose information in the process). Saved for the web to ensure colors are those used on the web. Minimum compression. Shot in natural light to get a much wider spectrum of light than a bulb / lightbox. Unless you calibrate your monitor / device using a photo spectrometer (I do), photo has more accurate colors than the device you are using to see it. By the numbers the rose has a higher ratio of red compared to the glitter, difference is slight, but noticeable. I like flashy stuff and think I'll carry one for a while.

GEC15TCglitterandrosegold-1.jpg

Putting it to work.

9FisnnJ.jpg

There have been complaints of proud back springs in the open and closed position. Not a hint in the closed position on mine:

pM0T8Td.jpg

owqoZoR.jpg

Considering a retail price ~$60 it’s hard to complain. Now, if one were to pay $200+ I could see having a bit of buyer’s remorse.

I really like that saw cut osage, Joel. :thumbsup: Had I known that they were going to retail at only $60.- I would have tried to get one for sure. :)

I really like that saw cut osage, Joel. :thumbsup: Had I known that they were going to retail at only $60.- I would have tried to get one for sure. :)

Thanks Greg - I think the Osage rough cut is fitting for this pattern. IMO it’s going to look even better with age and use. Great value if you are able to find one at the suggested retail price!

QUOTE - Chief - "Side-by-side comparison of glitter and rose gold with accurate colors. Taken with Canon 5D MKIII full frame DSLR mounted to Canon EF100L IS macro lens. Shot in RAW, converted in Photoshop CS using Adobe Camera Raw and Color Checker (grey squares across the top) to set accurate white balance. Zero color boost. Zero filters. Hosted on my web site so I have complete control of my photos, not altered by IG, FB or any other social medial platforms / hosting services (they compress your pics ... makes your jpgs smaller but loose information in the process). Saved for the web to ensure colors are those used on the web. Minimum compression. Shot in natural light to get a much wider spectrum of light than a bulb / lightbox. Unless you calibrate your monitor / device using a photo spectrometer (I do), photo has more accurate colors than the device you are using to see it. By the numbers the rose has a higher ratio of red compared to the glitter, difference is slight, but noticeable. I like flashy stuff and think I'll carry one for a while."

GEC15TCglitterandrosegold-1.jpg

Despite that funny language you speak, You take great pictures, Chief!!:eek::D

Putting it to work.

9FisnnJ.jpg

pM0T8Td.jpg

owqoZoR.jpg

It seems like saw cut is traditionally more of a diagonal pattern. I wonder why this one is more perpendicular. I think the latest run of Case saw cut was similar, but otherwise I don’t recall seeing it this way. I could be wrong though.

Back