What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

It seems like saw cut is traditionally more of a diagonal pattern. I wonder why this one is more perpendicular. I think the latest run of Case saw cut was similar, but otherwise I don’t recall seeing it this way. I could be wrong though.
I thought the exact same, then realized the Osage is called "rough sawn".:thumbsup:

waynorth waynorth Thank you Charlie for the kind words on my photos. Wanted to clarify the gold difference since it seemed to be a hot topic. Some folks see my comments as aloof, they are not intended to be that way. After a lifetime of working on high tech equipment in the USAF and ATT, am far too techy and far little feely without much empathy for anonymous fanbois. That said, thank you very much for selling me such fine knives for many years. I still own every knife you have sold me and never, ever flip. Hope my grandson enjoys them when he gets to be my age.

Next! ... posted in totin' thread but this pic belongs here too with a feely rather than techy description. Rough Sawn Osage has a really nice texture in hand. Hit the lotto on mine ... best snap of the run that I own so far with great masking. Earth tones provide pleasing color with the lighter halo accentuating the effect. So I googled Osage and found out some interesting tidbits. Osage orange is hedge apple! Have tons of them on the farm, all along the fence rows. Thorny, used before the invention of barbed wire, explains why my great-great inlaws planted them all around the farm as they were once upon a time fences. Wife uses them to keep spiders away (she believes it, I'm skeptical). Taken portrait mode as upside down text bugs my OCD. It's a winner. Hope you enjoy the photo!

GEC15TCroughsawnosage-1.jpg

It seems like saw cut is traditionally more of a diagonal pattern. I wonder why this one is more perpendicular. I think the latest run of Case saw cut was similar, but otherwise I don’t recall seeing it this way. I could be wrong though.
All of the older saw cut marks that I have seen were made with a Circular Blade saw . I suspect that some of the Delrin saw cuts were actually stamped on . The saw cuts on the new 15s appear to have been sawn with a Band Saw or a Reciprocating Saw or a Hand Saw . Either way , they look great to me .

Harry

I thought the exact same, then realized the Osage is called "rough sawn".:thumbsup:
That’s probably it. I didn’t realize it had a different name.
All of the older saw cut marks that I have seen were made with a Circular Blade saw . I suspect that some of the Delrin saw cuts were actually stamped on . The saw cuts on the new 15s appear to have been sawn with a Band Saw or a Reciprocating Saw or a Hand Saw . Either way , they look great to me .

Harry
I figured long ago the saw cut was made by an actual saw cutting the handle material. I didn’t know if modern day saw cut was a jigging pattern made to mimic old saw cut or if it was still done with a saw. But you’re right, however they are doing it, they look good!

That’s probably it. I didn’t realize it had a different name.

I figured long ago the saw cut was made by an actual saw cutting the handle material. I didn’t know if modern day saw cut was a jigging pattern made to mimic old saw cut or if it was still done with a saw. But you’re right, however they are doing it, they look good!
I have 2 of the Northfield 77 Barlows out of the same run with Saw Cut bone , if you hold them side by side , you would think that they were stamped . But I have to believe that they did use a Saw of some type to Slab the bone .

Harry

The six 2021 single spear TCs including a 1 of 16 hammered. My never ending thanks to waynorth waynorth Charlie Campagna and GEC for making such great knives. Hope you enjoy the pics!

GEC15TCcollection-1.jpg

GEC15TCcollection-2.jpg

GEC15TCcollectionlids-1.jpg
SWEET doesn’t even begin to to do justice to your collection! If you want to PM me with your insights on how to procure future drops feel free to enlighten me.:p

Back