What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I think I’m in the same boat. I like the looks of the Micarta integral barlow, but it just loses some of its appeal without the metal bolster. I’ll probably purchase one just to see how they are. I do really hope they continue to produce their metal bolstered barlow. It’s a really great knife!

Your Expedition is looking excellent!

Thanks!

4BReV72.jpg

2ylC2hS.jpg

I have a three day weekend coming up... Looks like I might have to flood the thread with some Boker barlow pics, lol. I’ve been meaning to take some nicer pics anyways. :)

I have a three day weekend coming up... Looks like I might have to flood the thread with some Boker barlow pics, lol. I’ve been meaning to take some nicer pics anyways. :)
They are great little knives. I’m going to put some pictures of mine up as well, probably wait for the olive wood to come in.

They are great little knives. I’m going to put some pictures of mine up as well, probably wait for the olive wood to come in.

I think you're gonna like the Olive exclusive! I picked one up awhile back along with the Stag, Smooth White Bone, and Brown Bone (probably should have snagged the Yellow Bone while I was at it). The stag, unfortunately, was sent back as it had some issues with lazy action. All the others were absolutely perfect. Unfortunately, I ended up gifting the Olive barlow to a buddy before I got a good picture of it, but you can catch a glimpse of it in the pic I posted awhile back.

Just did a quick pic of my Boker Barlows. Happy with all four, I do wish Boker would do more spears. And not adding shields would be OK with me. Of these, my favorites in order are the Expedition, Bog Oak, Castle Burg, and the Grenadilla.
original.jpg

I think you're gonna like the Olive exclusive! I picked one up awhile back along with the Stag, Smooth White Bone, and Brown Bone (probably should have snagged the Yellow Bone while I was at it). The stag, unfortunately, was sent back as it had some issues with lazy action. All the others were absolutely perfect. Unfortunately, I ended up gifting the Olive barlow to a buddy before I got a good picture of it, but you can catch a glimpse of it in the pic I posted awhile back.
Can’t wait to get it. I own all of the others except the brown bone, and I would’ve gotten it (still might) but I already have a two blade version in that cover. Been very pleased with all of them. Are you going to get another stag? Love mine.

Just did a quick pic of my Boker Barlows. Happy with all four, I do wish Boker would do more spears. And not adding shields would be OK with me. Of these, my favorites in order are the Expedition, Bog Oak, Castle Burg, and the Grenadilla.
original.jpg
Nice collection! I agree with you about the spear blades. That said my Bog Oak is the only questionable one I own, has blade play, but I really liked everything else about it so I kept it. I’m going to mess around with it and see if I can tighten it up a bit. I actually don’t mind the shields, especially the new ones with the black.

Nice collection! I agree with you about the spear blades. That said my Bog Oak is the only questionable one I own, has blade play, but I really liked everything else about it so I kept it. I’m going to mess around with it and see if I can tighten it up a bit. I actually don’t mind the shields, especially the new ones with the black.

Thanks!

No blade play on my Bokers, but 5 of my 6 Case Barlows have blade play. Only "issue" with my Bokers is the Grenadilla is a thumbnail buster and has gritty action. After several flushing and lube sessions, and a lot of opening/ closing, it's slowly getting better. Still can break/ split/ chip my thumbnail if I'm not careful.

Here's where my collection stands at the moment! I gifted the Olive Wood, and had to send back the Stag. I'm still hunting for the Walnut, and I'll probably give in and try to find a Smooth Yellow Bone. Other than that, I think I have them all (I guess there are the dyed curly birch versions too). :D

Top row, left to right: Two bladed Brown Washboard Bone, Whisky Barrel Oak, Brown Canvas Micarta, Plum Wood, Smooth White Bone, Grenadil (African Blackwood).
Bottom row, left to right: Brown Washboard Bone, Oak reclaimed from Burg Castle, Green Canvas Micarta/Brass, Desert Ironwood, Curly Birch, Bog Oak.
Far right is an older two bladed, Boker "Farm boy" Barlow with rosewood covers that I purchased here on the forums. The steel on all of these is either 440C, O1, or C75.

dAWRSKi.jpg

Can’t wait to get it. I own all of the others except the brown bone, and I would’ve gotten it (still might) but I already have a two blade version in that cover. Been very pleased with all of them. Are you going to get another stag? Love mine.

Yea, the brown washboard is great too! I actually purchased the two blade version before I knew the exclusives from you know where existed. Had to grab the single bladed, brown washboard version too when I found out about it, lol. I'm not the biggest fan of yellow bone, but I'm kind of kicking myself for not grabbing it when it was available. I saw some pics from another forum member recently and it's pretty gorgeous. I keep going back and forth on picking up another stag version. On one hand, I kind of want to complete the collection... But on the other, I've never really been much of a stag fan for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Back