What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Well, I'd say that AGE makes a Good Trad Barlow. They look better with the passing of time and with measured use! Unlike us....:eek:

When I first looked at your Barlow Brigade Charlie, I too was struck by the NYK knife. Proportions are excellent, from having a long and low riding blade. Short blades in a long handle often look half-grown.. I like that double lined Bolster, not seen that before. However, I have to fully admit that I thought it was a 'Z' knife :foot: Zen knife! It's good to learn.:thumbup:

Regards, Will

Charlie,
as I told you once, I was never a fan of Barlow knives, but nonetheless your collection is a pleasure to see.
As for the present...I read a book years ago...

"all the stores was along one street. They had white domestic awnings in front, and the country-people hitched their horses to the awning-posts. There was empty dry-goods boxes under the awnings, and loafers roosting on them all day long, whittling them with their Barlow knives; and chawing tobacco, and gaping and yawning and stretching - a mighty ornery lot"

...and I look forward to see what's coming around :)

Fausto
:cool:

sorry to hijack
i'm biased but i think this one is a good one, was my grandads, 40's era (maybe camillus contracted?)... its lived a hard but honest life, wonder what this utica would look like with full blades? anybody got one :) (also the inspiration in part for the Bladeforums stamp)
as always charlie your examples are amazing
gene

utica.jpg

I'm biased toward Uticas myself, having been born in Utica. They still make a lot of knives on Noyes St. They still make some Barlows in stainless and in 1095.

I'm biased toward Uticas myself, having been born in Utica. They still make a lot of knives on Noyes St. They still make some Barlows in stainless and in 1095.
yep snagged one for my dad last christmas, decent knife only complaint was lazy snap, F&F was actually really nice
Gene

Great collection of barlows Charlie. I had a NYK Co. single blade barlow at one point but it wasn't as nice as yours. Are we close to the barlow climax?

The climax is coming soon, Mike. But why hurry? Good things are worth waiting for!
Meantime, here's a little foreplay!:eek:

Bolsters999.jpg

I sure love a good barlow.

I have my first custom on order, and almost, nearly, just about ordered a grandad barlow. I changed my mind at the last minute and did a large two blade guns stock (super excited).

But, of traditionals, I have the most of the barlow pattern (only 4).

Thanks for sharing all those lovlies with us.

I have one old barlow, inherited from my beloved grandfather. It sits in my safe, and I get it out and fondle it frequently. I even carry it occasionally.

My favorite barlows have the stamped/marked bolsters. I just love the look of a nice deep stamp.

Looking forward to seeing more Charlie! :)

That stamped bolster sure looks good Charlie. I hope the rest of it is as consistently traditional.

Maybe this is where mqqn's comment about the blood red bone of the 66 moose could be implemented: "I would like to see that color in a smooth-bone finish."

Saw cut blood red bone with that traditional stamped bolster? Very nice!

The climax is coming soon, Mike. But why hurry? Good things are worth waiting for!
Meantime, here's a little foreplay!:eek:

Bolsters999.jpg

Oh, very nice.

More, please. ;)

Thanks for the tease Charlie. I think I know where this is headed!

I have No Idea, but so far, so good.

That stamped bolster sure looks good Charlie. I hope the rest of it is as consistently traditional.

Maybe this is where mqqn's comment about the blood red bone of the 66 moose could be implemented: "I would like to see that color in a smooth-bone finish."

Saw cut blood red bone with that traditional stamped bolster? Very nice!

From everything Charlie has shown and hinted at, "traditional" is the overarching guideline.

I'd imagine blood red would look good, but having gazed at Charlie's array of barlows and especially with the now-invited focus on the NYC Co knife, I'm hoping for something(s) more on the pale/tan/golden spectrum.

No accounting for taste. ;)

~ P.

I'd imagine blood red would look good, but having gazed at Charlie's array of barlows and especially with the now-invited focus on the NYC Co knife, I'm hoping for something(s) more on the pale/tan/golden spectrum.

No accounting for taste. ;)

~ P.

Not disputing that taste at all. But go back and look at the Case (second from top on left side of Charlie's first picture) and the Henckels (second from top on right side of his third picture).

Darken the red a little bit, and you have sweetness right there!

Id say Barlow by definition would need saw-cut bone covers. Spear blade (not clip...doesnt look right) pen secondary and nickle-silver liners and bolsters. 1095 steel for sure.

No guts, no glory!
Here's the innards: the working pattern for the new GEC #15 Jack Pattern.
15patternGEC.jpg

A Barlow, as you may well know, is a variation on a swell end or "regular" Jack.
As far as I can tell, all the old cutleries used their myriad handle patterns for as many variations as were demanded by their customers.
So you may see one, two, three and four blade knives on a single handle pattern, and sometimes, though rarely, even more complex.
I believe this pattern will make a great Barlow, and it will make other knives as well!
Why I can even envision a Harness Jack made on this pattern, some day!!:D

No guts, no glory!

Looks like we're going for glo-ry, then. ;)

In an earlier thread, you mentioned a 3.5" length, especially in light of the base pattern's usefulness for other (non-Barlow) knives.

As a point of visual reference, are any of the barlows in your pictures above 3.5" long?

~ P.

You know, AG Russell makes a really nice Barlow except for the steel he uses. Thats the only thing thats turns me off on tje deal.

Back