1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Nov 12, 2012.

1. db

db

Oct 3, 1998
    Will they be Etched-Blued-pre patina? Love this all steel idea. Can't wait to have one. Are they 3 3/8 or 3 1/2 long?

2. canineforge

canineforge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Charlie, lovin' this! What a treat. :thumbup:

- Joe

3. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    As per this thread, in which Charlie first flexes his Teaser muscles regarding "#15," they will be 3.5" long.

~ P.

4. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Good stuff, Charlie!!!

5. hunter s thompson

hunter s thompson

Oct 17, 2007
    Can't wait for these. Definitely makes my very long "short" list of knives I must have. I think it just took the top spot!

6. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks for the appreciative comments, everyone. This pattern development process is the best part of knife production in my opinion. Reproducing the oldies is a win-win situation!
    These scans of a 1920s catalogue pages, show part of the inspiration for the pattern number "15".
    Schrade's pattern number is the middle two digits.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another part of the inspiration is, an engineer in GEC's establishment has a connection with Barstow, CA. And the Barlow, through rhyme and other word similarity, reminds him of that city on route #15!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  7. hunter s thompson

hunter s thompson

Oct 17, 2007
    I love the 2153 with chain. They all look great but now I think I need a knife on a chain.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  8. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Yoo, hoo, Charlie--

Which of the knives in your examples above have capped ends, hmmmmm?

;)

~ P.

9. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    Well, at least now we can say that Queen is being Traditional when they make typos in their presentations of new knives.

Top picture of the two. Third knife down on the right. #L2153. That don't look like a "Clip blade" to me.

10. CNoyes

CNoyes

May 30, 2009
    Gee, Charlie, for a bit there I thought you were going for TERRIER CUTLERY.:)

[​IMG]

I'm sure the Tidioute barlows are going to be impressive knives.

Charlie Noyes

cigarrodog and OLd_gUY like this.
  11. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    What a looker!

The bolster design works as a "face" both ways:

[​IMG]

:)

~ P.

OLd_gUY likes this.
  12. CNoyes

CNoyes

May 30, 2009
    Thanks. That "TCC" stamp has always put me in mind of a dapper gent with mustache and pinze nez spectacles. Kind of like the character in the movie Life With Father.

13. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    That's what I'm "seeing" as well-- I just didn't have it narrowed down to a character yet.

Thanks! Fine knife, that.

~ P.

14. Sword and Shield

Sword and Shield

Apr 3, 2004
    I'd love to see one of these in the glitter acrylic- it just seems like it would work.

15. bemo

bemo

Oct 19, 2006
    Great pic CNoyes. Perhaps Hercule Poirot?

Really looking forward to this longer Barlow. I've been mostly buying ebony covers, but for this it will have to be sawcut bone.

16. Thalestin

Thalestin

Jul 20, 2006
    Looking forward to this one. I have not owned a Barlow yet, but always have wanted one :)

17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    You are like the angel on my right shoulder, ~P, keeping me on the straight and narrow path!
    Sorry I didn't turn the page, folks! Here are the capped versions!! GEC is coming out with one very soon!
    [​IMG]

18. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    On the other hand errr - shoulder - Remarks like this stimulate my evil show-off gene. My Chain of Fools for your perusal. The metal one is an Imperial, and I'm looking for a chain for the bottom one. I finally found the single blade (top) on ebay just last week!

[​IMG]

19. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Charlie Noyes, that Terrier will always be one of the Top Ten Barlows in the world!!:D

20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Charlie, in the above photo I love the slender bladed dark handled model second from the top.

Can't quite make out the tang stamp though. Whose make??