1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Nov 12, 2012.

1. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Heh.

I hope I'm not about to hop to the other shoulder ([​IMG]), but-- the above look like "capped jacks" to neophyte me, and not in keeping with the photographs you've shared of the TC barlow bolsters, visions evoked of upcoming tan/honey-colored sawcut bare-end covers, etc.

So, capped "Jack Knives" first, and then Barlows...?

One hopes, especially regarding the latter.

~ P.

2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Jeff, that is the Imperial. Metal handled, The tang says I.K.Co,
    Imperial Knife Company . . . .

~P, to the best of my knowledge, The Huckleberry Jacks (capped) and the Sawyer Barlows (doffed:D) will appear simultaneously!

3. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Oh, okay. Thanks!

~ P.
    hoppin' back to the other shoulder

4. hunter s thompson

hunter s thompson

Oct 17, 2007

Thanks waynorth, with you having that many I hope it means I won't have to spend the rest of my allotted time on this ball of mud searching for one.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    HST, you see them once in a while. I think another member here just bought a nice one off the 'Bay also; maybe akadave?
    I found the first one (middle or third one) about ten years ago at the Oregon Knife show.

6. hunter s thompson

hunter s thompson

Oct 17, 2007
    I'll keep my eye out, this subforum keeps adding knives to my "really really really need" list at a phenomenal rate.

7. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    This is a great thread!

I should not have looked at all the pictures. I really should not have!

8. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have been trying as hard as I can not to come in to this thread with just comments on how great Charlie's Barlow/s are going to be, the Barlow is staring to become right up in the top of my favourite style of knife and I feel like I am going to try and start dedicating a Barlow collection( along with the ez's and hj's).

I dont think I have ever watched a thread so intensely.

This thread has inspired me so much, and Charlie yourself included, I am extremely lucky to have a stunning Red Bone Barlow Case that is going to be the knife that I carry with me on the day I get married to Sue in one weeks time-I have so many lovely knives but the Barlow has come out to be my carry on our day.
    This Barlow came into the world around the same time as me.
    Sounds kinda silly, but this is a important thing for me -as in what knife I wil carry, because this day I want to remember forever.

Charlie, thank you ...this knife has been truly exciting to watch the stages of it's becoming.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  9. sitflyer

sitflyer

Mar 10, 2011
    ..Ω..

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  10. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005

11. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Congratulations Duncan!! I wish you and Sue pure joy!

12. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks Gevonovich, I appreciate that very much.
    Charlie, and you will be there my friend, that Barlow means a lot to me - for many reasons, and I always am in wonder when I look at that knife, its a gentle carry knife, and I cant wait to see one of these beauts lying next to it if any of us can be so lucky!
    Thank you for everything, this is such a interesting and exciting thread, those Bolsters are simply great..... class all the way from what I can see so far in the production of this knife

13. mike Berkovitch

mike Berkovitch

Nov 15, 2007
    This thread has awakened forgotten feelings towards this pattern, it used to be my favorite pattern in the past, and now i am having this etch to own some great old barlows again. Duncan, congratulations and my true wishes for great life to Sue and yourself. Your barlow is a great choice for your wedding day.
    Mike

14. AFAustin

AFAustin Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2004
    I'm really looking forward to seeing both the special sawcut barlow and the "Boy's Knife" versions.

Any idea when pics and pricing might be available?

Thanks,

Andrew

15. hunter s thompson

hunter s thompson

Oct 17, 2007
    Can someone message me with a good website to buy the new offerings from GEC, or is that against the rules?

16. bonky

bonky Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Check your profile page, I left you a message :)

17. pertinux

pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

~ P.

18. Vanguard41xx

Vanguard41xx

Dec 29, 2010
    I cannot wait for these! I would LOVE to see them make an EO out of this. If they don't, I'm breaking out the dremel. :D

19. 67nick

67nick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2010
    These are really going to be great! That Tidioute stamp looks nice and deep, very traditional. Can't wait to see how that swedge turns out...

20. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Received news that the Barlow is progressing nicely through the GEC factory!