What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

You are like the angel on my right shoulder, ~P, keeping me on the straight and narrow path!
Sorry I didn't turn the page, folks! Here are the capped versions!! GEC is coming out with one very soon!

Heh.

I hope I'm not about to hop to the other shoulder (
th_whistle.gif
), but-- the above look like "capped jacks" to neophyte me, and not in keeping with the photographs you've shared of the TC barlow bolsters, visions evoked of upcoming tan/honey-colored sawcut bare-end covers, etc.

So, capped "Jack Knives" first, and then Barlows...?

One hopes, especially regarding the latter.

~ P.

Jeff, that is the Imperial. Metal handled, The tang says I.K.Co,
Imperial Knife Company . . . .

~P, to the best of my knowledge, The Huckleberry Jacks (capped) and the Sawyer Barlows (doffed:D) will appear simultaneously!

Jeff, that is the Imperial. Metal handled, The tang says I.K.Co,
Imperial Knife Company . . . .

~P, to the best of my knowledge, The Huckleberry Jacks (capped) and the Sawyer Barlows (doffed:D) will appear simultaneously!

Oh, okay. Thanks!

~ P.
hoppin' back to the other shoulder

On the other hand errr - shoulder - Remarks like this stimulate my evil show-off gene. My Chain of Fools for your perusal. The metal one is an Imperial, and I'm looking for a chain for the bottom one. I finally found the single blade (top) on ebay just last week!

ChainofFools.jpg

Thanks waynorth, with you having that many I hope it means I won't have to spend the rest of my allotted time on this ball of mud searching for one.

Last edited:
HST, you see them once in a while. I think another member here just bought a nice one off the 'Bay also; maybe akadave?
I found the first one (middle or third one) about ten years ago at the Oregon Knife show.

This is a great thread!

I should not have looked at all the pictures. I really should not have!

I have been trying as hard as I can not to come in to this thread with just comments on how great Charlie's Barlow/s are going to be, the Barlow is staring to become right up in the top of my favourite style of knife and I feel like I am going to try and start dedicating a Barlow collection( along with the ez's and hj's).

I dont think I have ever watched a thread so intensely.

This thread has inspired me so much, and Charlie yourself included, I am extremely lucky to have a stunning Red Bone Barlow Case that is going to be the knife that I carry with me on the day I get married to Sue in one weeks time-I have so many lovely knives but the Barlow has come out to be my carry on our day.
This Barlow came into the world around the same time as me.
Sounds kinda silly, but this is a important thing for me -as in what knife I wil carry, because this day I want to remember forever.

Charlie, thank you ...this knife has been truly exciting to watch the stages of it's becoming.

Last edited:
S2153EO
C2153EO

Given GEC's penchant for EO's it wouldn't surprise me to see one of these in the future if this pattern takes hold[unquote]

I can't imagine this pattern a) not taking hold, and b) not including an EO!!

Hey Duncan! Let me wish you and Sue all the happiness in the world!
And I feel like I will be there, having infused a little of my aura in that Case Barlow!!:D:D

Thanks Gevonovich, I appreciate that very much.
Charlie, and you will be there my friend, that Barlow means a lot to me - for many reasons, and I always am in wonder when I look at that knife, its a gentle carry knife, and I cant wait to see one of these beauts lying next to it if any of us can be so lucky!
Thank you for everything, this is such a interesting and exciting thread, those Bolsters are simply great..... class all the way from what I can see so far in the production of this knife

This thread has awakened forgotten feelings towards this pattern, it used to be my favorite pattern in the past, and now i am having this etch to own some great old barlows again. Duncan, congratulations and my true wishes for great life to Sue and yourself. Your barlow is a great choice for your wedding day.
Mike

I'm really looking forward to seeing both the special sawcut barlow and the "Boy's Knife" versions.

Any idea when pics and pricing might be available?

Thanks,

Andrew

I cannot wait for these! I would LOVE to see them make an EO out of this. If they don't, I'm breaking out the dremel. :D

These are really going to be great! That Tidioute stamp looks nice and deep, very traditional. Can't wait to see how that swedge turns out...

Received news that the Barlow is progressing nicely through the GEC factory!

Back