What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I'm hoping for good color, but that is one thing Bill never promises. There is always an element of risk with the dye pot!!:rolleyes:
I just hope the gods of cutlery smile on us!!
:D
Did you post an example of what you are shooting for, as far as color?

Some favourites

LlvzqXb.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie - the smooth chestnut bone is very special.

p0APf6a.jpg

I chose Camillus as an avatar not because of the place, but because the first knife we were issued in the New Zealand army was a new-old-stock TL-29. It was back when the internet didn't properly exist, and no-one knew anything about this mysterious 'xcelite' branded knife the quartermaster was handing out. I hate to think what happened to them all, as there were many complaints they didn’t open, but I kept mine.

I chose the avatar on a whim, but I was a bit embarrassed for a while as it seemed cheeky to use something so iconic, but I have contributed a fair bit to these forums over the years, and it no longer troubles me. I like to think of it as Camillus the founder of Rome, not Camillus the knife company.

Last edited:
Thanks Charlie - the smooth chestnut bone is very special.

p0APf6a.jpg

I chose Camillus as an avatar not because of the place, but because the first knife we were issued in the New Zealand army was a new-old-stock TL-29. It was back when the internet didn't properly exist, and no-one knew anything about this mysterious 'xcelite' branded knife the quartermaster was handing out. I hate to think what happened to them all, as there were many complaints they didn’t open, but I kept mine.

I chose the avatar on a whim, but I was a bit embarrassed for a while as it seemed cheeky to use something so iconic, but I have contributed a fair bit to these forums over the years, and it no longer troubles me. I like to think of it as Camillus the founder of Rome, not Camillus the knife company.
You, and the town of Camillus are named after an amazing guy!!!
I encourage all to look Camillus up in Google!

Tell me more about this knife, please.

Yes, MrKnife!! Please tell us more!! Who made it? What's it made of??
Why? What? Where?o_O

this knife was purchased scouring the bay on some bored searching. trawling the bay occasionally turns up something every now and then. it is a Standard knives company barlow made by Case, (Case CA10503), and fits the hand nicely at 3 3/8 inches closed. This modern Case production pays tribute to the humble beginnings of the Case brothers.

That's because you weren't born yet, Jack!! The need for a single blade wasn't there!!

Great comparison shots, John!! Thanks for those.
Do you know who made the KKs??

Cause everyone knows a Barlow should have 2 blades Jack:D, looking at all the old ones you obviously need a second blade to break off, still waiting for Charlie to do a run of TC's with a broken pen.;)

well im glad to see Charlie's up and coming are in single!! and i hope to score both editions

I think you are right, Augie.
I wish I knew all about the transition of patterns when Schrade took over Ulster.
There is such a "blur" in that area.

waynorth waynorth Hey Charlie, I'm wondering why GEC hasn't posted any in production pictures of the ancient TC yet? Any reason you know of? I figured they probably have stamped bolsters at least, but maybe they haven't started yet. Just curious... thanks.

Back