What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

That that is a beautiful collection. What type of bone is on the TC Barlow at the very bottom?
Isn’t that the extremely limited “Storm bone” that Charlie did a give away or similar with?

Also.... Amber sawcut clip sighting... be still my beating heart... droooooolllllll

Isn’t that the extremely limited “Storm bone” that Charlie did a give away or similar with?

Also.... Amber sawcut clip sighting... be still my beating heart... droooooolllllll
Yes you are right, its the Storm Bone from Charlies give away.

That that is a beautiful collection. What type of bone is on the TC Barlow at the very bottom?
Thanks, that one is a special one that I received in one of Charlies very generous giveaways. Its a smooth bone that Charlie called storm bone, it's kind of a Gray Appaloosa.
Ui8Loxc.jpg

Last edited:
PHHHHWOOAARRRR!!! Charlie - this is WAY cool Barlow Charlie
I hope that Swedge does happen as to whats on the diagram! running onto the Tang there 'n all, Peened pins - yup:thumbsup: :cool: the marking on the Blade too - all this is going to be pretty amazing.

could be one for the pocket since its not shiny! :D:p

I hear ya Fox79. I know there's always lot's of excitement behind any TC Barlow run. However this second run of the Ancient really looks like it's going to be somthing special. :D:thumbsup:

Last edited:

The top and bottom knives in this group are just incredible. Love those blade shapes and handles.

Sooooooo. . . . . .some changes to the next Ancient Barlow from GEC!!
View attachment 898191 View attachment 898192 View attachment 898193

Crudely forged Bolster, modifed (for length) spear, squared off handle slabs (at the bolster - like the older ones) . Peened pins. We are going to try for the Bloodwood color (previous post), but it's hard to say how close it will come. I hope this is a knife you can use, and not devalue!!!
Whudda ya think of that??:eek:
:D

Looks great! Can't wait to get mine.

PHHHHWOOAARRRR! How do you pronounce that??:eek:
I am campaigning to keep the swedge as seen!

Googling a "history of bloodwood" will give a better explanation than I can give, @Camillus .
The dye was used to dye everything from Royal robes to knife handles for centuries!
Not the most stable of dyes, it darkens and/or fades under intense/sun light. Rare to find remaining on knife handles. I have a couple of good examples. I will add pics.

Slightly longer I believe and hope! You often don't know what production conditions will demand, but longer is the goal!:thumbsup:

The swedge looks great, I hope it stays.

View attachment 899663 View attachment 899665 I haven't assembled these in quite a while. Clip TCs and a TC group shot. Best regards to all. MJ.

Wow that's an incredible group!

Two new photos of the Case barlow stag...

2mxe6q8.jpg
2rd8bba.jpg

Wow that's nice. What era was that made in?

Thanks Charlie! :) The original Ancients are special, but that full-length swedge is so sweeeet! :cool: These are sure to be an instant classic, especially if they hit the color just right on the saw cut!!! :D

Thanks Charlie! :) The original Ancients are special, but that full-length swedge is so sweeeet! :cool: These are sure to be an instant classic, especially if they hit the color just right on the saw cut!!! :D

I'm hoping for good color, but that is one thing Bill never promises. There is always an element of risk with the dye pot!!:rolleyes:
I just hope the gods of cutlery smile on us!!

Back