What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Its been too long since the last wheel pic... I love a TC wheel!

nlsEMoc.jpg

Good on'ya, Chris! Maybe strokednbored strokednbored will post an updated wheel soon, too.

Can't wait for Charlie's 14 TC. Glad there is going to be ebony. I'll have to pay a premium on the secondary market but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Wow, nice work! Tell us more about it.
Thank you, and certainly. I’ll be brief since this probably isn’t the thread for it. I’m including a few more pictures of the completed knife, the separate pieces, and the spring tempering process (just because it amused me). It took about a week and a half a few hours each day. I started with O1 tool steel 3/32 for the blade, spring, and bolsters then 1/16 for the liners. It’s about 3 7/8s inches closed and the blade is 3 1/4 with a 3 inch sharp. I wanted as much blade with as little handle as possible. I heat treated with a weed burner, and tempered in the oven at 400, from what I read that should give it a Rockwell of 60 give or take 2 in both directions. The spring needed to be tempered at 8-900 which an oven can’t do except on self clean which might keep it locked for too long so I read somewhere on here that you can do it by putting it in sand mixed with motor oil, lighting it on fire and letting it burn itself out. I was waiting for the police to be called to put a stop to it but after 30 minutes it finally went out on it’s own. Everything was shaped with a few files and hack saw and held together with some nails. The handle is the wood from the probably 100 year old ball pean hammer I used to put the whole thing together. A few changes needed to be made along the way, the big pin in the back was not a style choice, though I don’t think it looks to bad. Nothing’s broken so far despite each part being dropped several times so I’m hoping for the best. That ramble was the short version, if anyone wants to know more feel free to pm me, I’ll be happy to share any mistakes I made.
4991E11E-29F8-4D2C-89F2-C8C2A16D3102.jpeg
5B9A7005-3670-440A-B287-C63B2B20E0D8.jpeg 8845909B-2B38-4FBD-B5AF-5B72AFEE1DB0.jpeg 2323C28C-F19B-4789-AB31-6D9547A7D52C.jpeg

Oops. Credit where credit is due addendum.
The general pattern and blade shape was ripped off from a GEC 15 that was taken apart traced, scanned and blown up a little and the squared off end idea was stolen from a John Lloyd Barlow I saw on VCM3’s site.

I got two words for ya, Ron,,,,,BEAU,,,,TI,,,,FUL!!!
Ok, three words:D:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Expecting mine to arrive any day now!
Thanks Perry! Can’t wait to see the photos! There seems to be some of these that have lighter colored Sawcut and some like Dean’s example below that are a little darker! I like them both. Have you actually saw yours yet or will it be a surprise? :)
It is a pretty good Barlow, isn't it Ron?

Yes they are Dean! Another job well done by Charlie and the fine folks at Great Eastern Cutlery! :thumbsup::cool:

Back