What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I die when I see another knife video with a guy with bandages all over his hands.

2. Extended discussion of steels that I doubt anyone can really tell apart. S35VN apparently "sucks". Really?

3. I'm beginning to think that Chris Reeve, Rick Hinderer, and Greg Medford are pretty much the same guy. Brash, opinionated, and surly seems to result in great knives. Medford's videos take this to a whole new level of hilarity.

4. I've mentioned this before but blade/handle ratio is apparently an important attribute...no idea why.

5. Wow, there sure are a lot of companies whose products are "mostly used by operators". Those special forces guys must be dripping with knives.

What tickles you about the knife obsessed? I'll sit on the couch and open and close my expensive overbuilt squeaky folder with lock stick while you reply...

Your average enlisted man ain't able to afford a "proper tactical" knife. Lulz.

When I wss an enlisted man, I carried ied a Swiss Army Knife, and I wasn't even in the Swiss Army.

That how many pounds a lock can hold without failing is not only a selling point but results in an echoing cacophony of a knife's overall superiority.

The perfect bush sword is too heavy to carry out into the bush.

n2s

People who absolutely believe the main attribute of a knife that opens with a flipper it should be perfect and sustain their OCD habit of flipping the knife incessantly while watching the History Channel "Alone". I guess blade geometry and ability to cut is somewhere down the pecking order. A knife to some has become an object of entertainment rather than a tool to cut, don' t misconstrue what I am saying, I do not disregard the opening and closing ability of a flipper knife, yes it should have a strong detent, sound locking mechanism and be centered. however the main purpose should not be trumped for entertainment value.

Last edited:
Numero Uno: people who don't use their knives. They make me laugh, gleefully.

"Hai gaiz! Check out my new trinket to take pictures of! I'm gonna lay it down on something dirty, snap a pic, then spend 30 minutes wiping it down with a microfiber cloth."

Number two: people who say they'd like to carry a certain size of knife, but complain about the weight or length. Man up. Want to carry it? Do it.

Number three: flippers. The egregious ones make me want to laugh, and slap them on the forehead through their monitor.

I'll probably think of more, but that's a pretty good start.

Oh, number four: Lynn Thompson. Why? Lol. He doesn't make you laugh? Dude looks like a full grown twelve year old fat kid with a mustache, cutting up ham hocks.

He makes me want to laugh like crazy, but some part of me wants to say "cut those pigs, you majestic bastard."

Last edited:
- People that have thousands of dollars worth of knives but have no idea how to sharpen a knife.
- People that spend thousands of dollars on knives that never cut anything but paper.
- People that say a knife company is crap because they got one bad apple.
- Greg Medford........that guy. If only i could press delete on a human. He's up there with that guy on youtube with the channel called "guns knives and watches"

People who, never owned/handled the knife in question, yet heap praise/disdain on said knife.

All because they read about it on the internet.

The die hard/obsessive knife maker/brand groupies who can't stop praising a particular knife maker/brand and thanking them for their work no matter how rude they are and/or shitty their customer service really is. Same groupies will also definitely have 2 or 3 of every knife model produced by said knife maker/brand and use exactly ZERO of them.

What makes you laugh about the knife community?

The predictability of folks here recommending H1 steel for anything that involves the slightest exposure to water. :rolleyes: Fact is, ANY decent stainless will be fine around water -- yes, even salt water. Worst case scenario: You end up with a few inconsequential flecks of corrosion that you can scrape off with your thumb nail.

Also, I'm always amused when someone says a slipjoint "closed up on me." Uhhh, actually YOU closed the knife on yourself, pal. :D

I laugh sometimes about how far apart some of us are. We all love knives but the reasons separate us to the point of argument. Im a knife user and slight abuser, i find it funny when someone who clearly is more of a "paper cutter" argues how certain knives can do certain things.

The Mora Lovers

"I'm looking for a hand-forged sub-hilt fighter made by an ABS Master Smith. Budget is around $2,000. Suggestions?"

"How about a Mora and a SAK? They will cut better, and they're cheaper..."

Excuse me while I go beat my head against a brick wall:D

Any question along these lines:

1) "I need the perfect knife in all categories for less than $20. What should I buy?" SMF
2) "Which tactical/fighting knife should I buy?" Like they're going to be taking out a sentry next week.
3) "Which folder would you want with you if you were stuck on a deserted island?"
4) "Why would anyone spend more than $xx on a knife?"
5) Any question regarding a "grail" knife. Like there is such a thing.
6) Statement: "I just bought the last knife I'll ever need." Admittedly, we don't see this one much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back