What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out my $250 pocket clip on my $180 knife.
What deploys faster, Autos, Balisongs or flippers? Especially for self defense in a neighborhood that I'll never be in.

Anything designed in such a way that the buying of it is more enjoyable than the using of it. The majority of knives of the market fall somewhere along a spectrum of this category. Almost every feature is designed to appeal to the eye and tickle the wallet rather than meld with the hand and for the blade to pass effortlessly through its intended targets--and in fact often comes at the direct expense of those qualities.

The overall focus on grind styles, which are a cosmetic side effect of a given geometry imposed on a stock thickness, and is really more of what has a meaningful impact on cutting performance. A general lack of interest in fundamentals of edge presentation/engagement and balance for intended functions. The emphasis on specific steel and handle materials rather than general appropriateness for certain classes of steels for a functional range and the requirements that functional range dictates on handle material and construction. The emphasis on full profile tangs when well done hidden tangs often provide significant advantages. The demand that a knife be built like a tank so it can shrug off careless use rather than being built like a knife so it can actually cut things.

I'll admit I've felt a bit jaded in recent years by much of the above.

1. Myself - Own too many knives, many that won't ever be used because my few users are damned fine knives that will last decades.
2. Myself - Razor edge obsessed while a working edge will be perfectly sufficient.
3. Myself - Super-steel obsessed when any decent steel will suffice.
4. Myself - Live in fear of my wife ever finding out how much this stuff costs.

And ditto for pretty much everything already mentioned.

Guys that have folders with an uneven grind on one side of a blade, but don't know how to correct it. Spend XX to send it have it fixed by a 'professional'.

Guys with knife collections worth Thousands of $$ that may get sold for a fraction of their value when they pass by their loved ones.

Guys that spend big bucks on an ugly custom and try to sell it but can't.

When someone says a survival knife made of some super steel is better than 440c. For a four day trip maybe. But when it comes time to sharpen on the nearest rock it will waste too much time and energy sharpening some super steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of the folks I see walking around at knife shows... Exactly how big of a pack do you need and are those combat boots the best choice for walking around all day in a building?

People who say something like Be a man, use your stuff.. (They don't usually say 'stuff')
1) Being a man includes not caring what other people think are man things..
2) By use your stuff you apparently mean scratch it all up doing stupid things with it. I use my stuff all the time, can't help it they aren't all scratched up..

People who collect $1K knives but only have a crappy flip phone camera to take pics of them..

People with a bunch of or really expensive knives that they have no clue how to sharpen..

People who's full time job seems to be sounding off on EVERY GB&U thread. After they are blocked that whole forum pretty much goes dead..

People who post vids of them beating a knife and then list it as Mint when they go to sell..

Old bags who make fun of new people crack me up

Old bags who try to prove 14-16 year Olds wrong

Non helpful old bags who whine about others opening new threads

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

People who actually give a crap about what other people do with their knives. Who cares if people have knives only to collect or use or use in stupidity. It's their knife...

-The guys who are so butt hurt that their $400 folder is so underwhelming that they berate the people who love their $100 or less folders.
-The country of origin snobtards, 80% of your possessions are made in China or have parts made there. Get over it.
-Lanyards on folders and the whole market for beads.
-The guys who buy sprint runs and sell them for $80 more when you can still find them at retailers.
-My Opinel is teh uberz!
-The general toxicity of the knife community, it is almost as bad as the firearms community. Why buy a RealSteel when you can buy a CRK? Sounds a lot like why buy a Ruger when you can buy an HK. It is not your place to justify your spending habits and product choices by claiming your stuff is better than my stuff. Oh well you are a moron because HK is better.

People can do whatever they want with their knives and money, I don't care, nobodies business. What I do find funny is when someone that has 100+ $25-$100 knives says, "I can not understand who would spend $500 dollars on cutting tools!!!!"

That and my sad cutting tool addiction makes me laugh, and cry at times!

People getting upset when someone else doesn't care for a particular knife.

Some of the folks I see walking around at knife shows... Exactly how big of a pack do you need and are those combat boots the best choice for walking around all day in a building?

I have a pair of combat boots that are more comfortable than my running shoes and the only thing stopping me from running in them is they look funny in shorts.

Guys who make fun of quarter inch thick knives calling them pointless then complaining when their thinner knife broke while batonning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Customers who talk about how many guns they just bought over the last month who then try to haggle over the price of a mutually designed custom knife because they're "broke"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back