What makes you laugh about the knife community?

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1, gets me everytime. My buddy has 6 $200 kitchen knives and a few nice pocket knives but has absolutely no ability to sharpen.
I don't know how to sharpen, but my mora is very good doesn't need sharpening. I killed multiple boar with it and cut out their hearts and still razor sharp

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

When people with $500+ pocket knives use chipped, dull, garbage kitchen knives, or better yet, don't use them at all and resort to a folder or fixed blade that's incredibly poorly designed for such tasks. I know we can't all be really into cooking, but if you're a self-described "knife nut" it seems like you'd want to at least take a passing interest in learning how to use and maintain a decent kitchen knife.

Opposite of the mall ninja, you have the woods Rambo, that carries numerous axes, hatchets and knives to go on an overnight camping trip probably in the local state park where you aren't even allowed to cut anything down. Also, the segment of the "what is your edc crowd?" that literally is carrying more items everyday in their pockets than what most women have in their purses. I think my wife only has a small mirror, some mascara, and a tampon :)

- Wannabe doomsday survivalists.
- other knife knuts who can legally carry knives that I can't (because I'm jealous) because of my local laws

When people with $500+ pocket knives use chipped, dull, garbage kitchen knives, or better yet, don't use them at all and resort to a folder or fixed blade that's incredibly poorly designed for such tasks. I know we can't all be really into cooking, but if you're a self-described "knife nut" it seems like you'd want to at least take a passing interest in learning how to use and maintain a decent kitchen knife.

Dear god, this! Makes me cringe seeing some of the things people prep food with

Opposite of the mall ninja, you have the woods Rambo, that carries numerous axes, hatchets and knives to go on an overnight camping trip probably in the local state park where you aren't even allowed to cut anything down. Also, the segment of the "what is your edc crowd?" that literally is carrying more items everyday in their pockets than what most women have in their purses. I think my wife only has a small mirror, some mascara, and a tampon :)
You should buy your wife a mora, fam. She can carry it on her belt or in her purse. It is a great knife for bushcraft as well as food and sandwich preparation. Did I mention it's a great knife?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

People who say they edc something different every day. You gotta carry it every day not once in a while to be considered edc.

When someone has a $40 budget and get replies like "if you can go up to about $60 you can get a delica/endura"

Or "I only have $60 to spend on a knife" "you could get a membership and find a used griptilian on the exchange for that price" completely ignoring that a membership costs money.

When people think they can tell the difference between a 2 oz and a 2.2oz knife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- People that have thousands of dollars worth of knives but have no idea how to sharpen a knife.
- People that spend thousands of dollars on knives that never cut anything but paper.
- People that say a knife company is crap because they got one bad apple.
- Greg Medford........that guy. If only i could press delete on a human. He's up there with that guy on youtube with the channel called "guns knives and watches"
Oh thank God I'm not the only one unlucky enough to come across that channel!

Overuse of the word "tactical". Put a G10 scale on a knife and make a black blade for it, now it is more tactical than one with stag scales? Funny how Lewis and Clark REALLY survived with knives and yet they probably had wood or bone handles...pros today could never fathom that fact. Has to be super steel with kydex sheath and some new tech handle, etc, etc. Just saying, knives of yesteryear still managed just fine.

Everybody now is a Spec Ops vet...guess no one else in the military does paperwork.

When someone asks for a knife suggestion for their boy scout son, everyone throws out ZT's, CRK's, etc, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Bladeforums tradition of waiting for a newbie to ask for a knife recommendation and then telling them at length why they're wrong for asking for that kind of knife. (I can be guilty of this as well.)

Frankly, we're TERRIBLE about automatically assuming people have no idea what they're doing and inserting our own preferences instead. Not a particularly flattering trait.

- $1000+ knives made with the most advanced cutting tool technology and materials that will never ever ever be carried.
- Similarly, custom "tactical" knives whose blade shapes are clearly designed exclusively for combat, but priced well outside of the budget of anyone who would ever need a combat knife.
- How ridiculously offended/defensive knife people can get about knives. Really, just any aspect of them. Maker, steel, price, country of origin...
- The "man-toy" submarket. Tops, knucks, prybars, etc. Without exaggeration, I have seen roughly finished Ti single-finger knucks - just oversized rings with flat sides - go for over $500 just because of who made them. That is literally fashion economics. It's like paying $400 more for a pair of shoes because it says "Michael Kors" on the side even though it's just a frickin' shoe and offers literally no additional benefits or quality.

We buy all these knives looking for that ONE perfect knife that will be the one.....then we find something new. Man I love this addiction!

We buy all these knives looking for that ONE perfect knife that will be the one.....then we find something new. Man I love this addiction!

I used to tell myself I was on the search for "the perfect knife" but I've either abandoned that or just accepted that I really like having a bunch of new knives all the time. It's like a small post office in my bedroom with all the flatrate boxes and shipping materials...

1. Which steel have best edge retention :yawn: I immediately think ...this guy must have paper factory so it s important to him how long will last cutting knife :D

2. Look how sharp is my knife .............. Congratulations :D

3. Guys who cut the cardboard without the need ................ so what you have proven :D

4. Liner lock is better then frame lock :yawn: ........no comment on this :D

- $1000+ knives made with the most advanced cutting tool technology and materials that will never ever ever be carried.
- Similarly, custom "tactical" knives whose blade shapes are clearly designed exclusively for combat, but priced well outside of the budget of anyone who would ever need a combat knife.
- How ridiculously offended/defensive knife people can get about knives. Really, just any aspect of them. Maker, steel, price, country of origin...
- The "man-toy" submarket. Tops, knucks, prybars, etc. Without exaggeration, I have seen roughly finished Ti single-finger knucks - just oversized rings with flat sides - go for over $500 just because of who made them. That is literally fashion economics. It's like paying $400 more for a pair of shoes because it says "Michael Kors" on the side even though it's just a frickin' shoe and offers literally no additional benefits or quality.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

All of this plus a zillion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back