What multitool or SAK did you buy today

J jazzz , what makes that Wave "the good Wave"?

I just really prefer the screwdrivers it has. The scissors are better, too. The Charge I have - the bit holder just doesn’t feel that confidence inspiring. I have carried and used my old Wave since they came out - don’t even remember when that was - at work in a kitchen. I use it a lot. My Charge - same as a new Wave - is used at home, or out and about, if I feel like carrying it. I still like it, but the old is quite nice.

I just really prefer the screwdrivers it has. The scissors are better, too. The Charge I have - the bit holder just doesn’t feel that confidence inspiring. I have carried and used my old Wave since they came out - don’t even remember when that was - at work in a kitchen. I use it a lot. My Charge - same as a new Wave - is used at home, or out and about, if I feel like carrying it. I still like it, but the old is quite nice.

Many thanks for your reply, J jazzz .

The screwdrivers are indeed nicely selected on the old Wave, yet none of them are locked when open, which will almost invariably lead to "user induced foul language" so to speak, especially with the philips. I too used my old Wave a lot, to a point where the liner lock lost its tension and the blade became a liability. I got to have it serviced, it was my first Leatherman, I bought it over 20 years ago. It coincidentally was the 20th Wave Anniversary edition.

So far, what I like most about the original Wave is its lighter weight than the newer Wave. I tend to use the outside blades more often than the screwdrivers, so the fact that they don't lock is less important to me. I also like the ergonomics and aesthetics that result from not having the lock release buttons protruding from the sides. That also means that the sheath can be made narrower and more form-fitting.

When did the Waves first come out? 90-something? I also like mine because my wife bought it. It was $100.00 back then.
1998. The new Waves are still $100 today, which means that they've actually gotten cheaper (with inflation).

Last edited:
The local knife store has been closed for a while due to the owner's surgery. He reopened yesterday so I stopped by today to say hello and look around. Found this nice Victorinox ALOX Electrician. The box was a little rough but the knife is pristine. This is my second ALOX, the other one being an 84 mm Cadet in black. I'm really liking this 93 mm size. (Hey, I just realized it doesn't have a key ring. I think I like that!)

50963897992_943f260188_b.jpg

Last edited:
I found this pioneer at an antique store. It was labeled as a farmer. It was a fraction of the price of a new one, and it looks almost unused. What appears to be the factory edge still popped hair (I've used it a bit since I got it and had to touch up the edge though).
9KsNP9f.jpg

KlXKmgS.jpg

I didn't buy anything, but a few days ago, while helping some family members get ready to move, I noticed that what looked like a small tool box was in the trash pile. "I gotta have a look into this!". Turned out to be an old tackle box. Nothing too special. But hidden among the couple of terrible dollar store knives I found an original Eddie Bauer edition Wenger Whistle! It had been used and abused and was in need of love, but had no broken blades or anything. She's come clean nicely.

A mid-eighties PST w/sheath from an auction and a Side Clip fresh from the LM warranty dept. where their surgeons repaired a broken jaw.
JPEG_20210318_224417_2892398570007568230.jpg
Happy hunting! T-A

Back