What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Did somebody say...

39903120811_742e436e60_b.jpg

But somehow I don't think he would have chosen today's carry :eek:
Well played, sir, and correctly stated. We are lucky to have the options that we have now.
- Stuart

Recycled picture, but same plan today:

9IzNysCh.jpg

That really is a stunner Greg :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black

"A Rambler made is a man improved." That slogan, simple and so true, has made my day, Jack. Most of my best experiences have been afoot - walking the fields for pheasants and rabbits, sauntering with my wife and, especially my children, a scouting walk with my dog or a human friend, even those dreaded marches while at Ft. Bragg in the summer - I found new knowledge, confirmed old beliefs, and forged some personal strengths. Thanks for reminding me.

I have put this one in my pocket today (along with the Sabre barlow that I posted a day ago), It is of one my favorite knives, one that is as solidly built as any newer knife that I own: a WARDS premium stockman made for Montgomery Wards by Utica in the 1935-1950s period. They were really making high quality knives then.

IzJ2wd7.jpg

yR8Z8bd.jpg

KIvMoZY.jpg

hXc4Eyp.jpg

eV60kTr.jpg

gNBukTb.jpg

- Stuart

Beautifully put Stuart, and that is a wonderful Knife :) :thumbsup:

It is almost Friday...

These two with me today.

QsLiy5W.jpg

Great colours Dylan! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Gary! I’m a happy camper! :thumbsup:

Well put my friend! :eek: Thanks for the compliment! The Ebony Lambsfoot is special to me! :thumbsup:;)

I was Totin the Norfolk today! :)

38965143965_ea6bbc2d01_b_d.jpg

Thanks Ron, another smashing knife there my friend :) :thumbsup:

It's a funny coincidence: I came up in the 1970s and '80s reading Colin Fletcher's volumes I - III of The Complete Walker. In his ounce-paring insanity he addresses carrying a knife and because he was never a bushcrafter, he settles on the little SD Classic. I can't remember what he said about the tweezers and toothpick, but he does mention maybe cutting off the file in a fit of weight madness.

Well, rooting through boxes of old gear long after I had moved out of my childhood home, I found this knife. Whether my older brother, who led me to read Fletcher, cut off the file, I don't know. I know I didn't. The SD's scales we're cracked and falling off and the tools and even the split ring we're missing, so immediately on finding it, I thought Fletcher himself must have come down the chimney and left it for me. I tossed the scales, sharpened the blade, oiled the joints, and now it lives on my keys just like it's supposed to. I always say it's such a piece of junk that if it got lost or taken I wouldn't care, but now I'm sentimental about it!

Long-winded, but that's the story of the skeletoized SD Classic.

Zieg

Interesting, I backpacked some in the 70's myself and vaguely recall the Vic reference. I do remember Fletcher taking every ounce off of everything he could. I had a Kelty D4, a dinosaur by current standards. I still have a Gerry down jacket and hood from that era somewhere.

Same here...I got into backpacking in the 70s and The Complete Walker was my bible. I even found a store near me that sold Mint Cake!

Kendal Mint Cake :thumbsup:

I was also a 70's backpacker, and love the books from that period :) I also enjoyed Bernard S Mason, as well as the camping books of British author Jack Cox, which reflect a slightly earlier period. I was only a teenager, so carried what I had, mainly Richards knives, like these, and a re-purposed kitchen paring knife in a homemade leather sheath :)

I can remember being very excited about getting hold of some Kendal Mint Cake, and somewhat disappointed shortly after! :D It has always been my main hiking 'emergency ration', since I'd have to be in dire straits to want to break into it! :D :thumbsup:

Great pic of a couple of fine knives :thumbsup:

Carrying my 2017 Guardians Lambsfoot today :) :thumbsup:

- totin' these ones today........a most kind knife buddy sent me a selection of his own to have a fondle.

As I don't have any recent models, this is a good way to have a gentle play and find out - thank you, James :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

HH%20-%2002.jpg

HH%20-%2003.jpg

My immediate favourite is this Hawthorne, very easy pinch-open in particular...

HH%20-%2006.jpg

Yesterday the GAW knife from bonzodog arrived, a beautiful A. Wright & Sons Lambsfoot with Stag scales. What a gorgeous knife,the stag fits my hand perfectly. I put my own edge on it last night and takin' it for it's maiden voyage today so here she is dressed in her blues ready to start the day.

0mHa5q9.jpg

Thanks Andy.

Back