1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. 66sprint6

66sprint6

Jan 21, 2016
    HA! I was positioning the two knives and the Peanut spun on its own and went *clink up against the Barlow. When I went to put it back the Barlow went with it. I have them both with me again today and they are still doing it so I figured out that it is Luke's Peanut that is the cause and the end cap does in fact attract smaller metal items!

IMG_20180125_103107691.jpg

Matt

2. Duckdog

Duckdog Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2012
    More beautiful knives and pictures thereof than I can keep up with (because I stop and stare/drool). A cornucopia of coveted cutlery.
    @ 5K Q That Colt is a fine captivating canoe, but the small copperhead grabbed my attention. The blue Case mini copperlock that I posted a day back would contrast well the" little red" that you showed.

@Chief You can show those Menefees all year long, Top. They are pieces of crafted beauty. Thanks for sharing them. That swayback is so elegant!

@Atiger I love a barlow and am intrigued by the Armstrong. Great bolster art; I've not seen one before.

@Will Power I can see why you favor that one. Fine picture, pal.

@Ironbut The knife looks fine to me, as is. (Though most of my knives are old, so I don't look forward to them looking older.)

@The Zieg The Dawson Mercury stopped my gazing at you curious collection (love the Mosin Nagant "prybar"). I am fond on bird&trout knives and that's a beauty.

@Travman That 26 looks like a little brute, but the pinched bolsters give it some subtle "style". Nice. I don't have any GEC knives (apologies to any and all who may feel faint right now), but you and @Ironbut posted some alluring examples, as have several others. I may have to come out of retirement and get a job that pays some folding money to get on the GEC train (or even just to try some of the RRs that @5K Qs has been showing).

@Jack Black "A Ramble made is a man improved." That slogan, simple and so true, has made my day, Jack. Most of my best experiences have been afoot - walking the fields for pheasants and rabbits, sauntering with my wife and, especially my children, a scouting walk with my dog or a human friend, even those dreaded marches while at Ft. Bragg in the summer - I found new knowledge, confirmed old beliefs, and forged some personal strengths. Thanks for reminding me.

I have put this one in my pocket today (along with the Sabre barlow that I posted a day ago), It is of one my favorite knives, one that is as solidly built as any newer knife that I own: a WARDS premium stockman made for Montgomery Wards by Utica in the 1935-1950s period. They were really making high quality knives then.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Stuart

3. Gevonovich

Gevonovich

Jan 17, 2011
    Duckdog likes this.
  4. ArchiveMoto

ArchiveMoto Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2017
    [​IMG]

Whetstone39, rswanson, 353 and 18 others like this.
  5. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001

Stuart, that is a magnificent piece my friend, the tang stamp and tooled liners are just the cherry on top, thanks for sharin'.

6. T. Erdelyi

Feb 3, 2001
    Looks like it's got a Winterbottom Bone feel to it and I love Winterbottom Bone.. :)

7. T. Erdelyi

Feb 3, 2001
    Loved the seagulls on the bottom Schrade, did you add them and do they have a meaning?

8. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    20180125_143742.jpg

9. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    It is almost Friday...

These two with me today.

[​IMG]

10. jmarston

jmarston

Dec 6, 2010
    Never thought I would carry a knife whose frame is smaller than the blades of my old knives...

But this peanut pairs beautifully with my Leatherman multitool. A hardworking pair.

[​IMG]

11. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
  12. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    2015 TC Sheep/Pen old tan jigged bone Barlow today.
    [​IMG]

13. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    It's a funny coincidence: I came up in the 1970s and '80s reading Colin Fletcher's volumes I - III of The Complete Walker. In his ounce-paring insanity he addresses carrying a knife and because he was never a bushcrafter, he settles on the little SD Classic. I can't remember what he said about the tweezers and toothpick, but he does mention maybe cutting off the file in a fit of weight madness.

Well, rooting through boxes of old gear long after I had moved out of my childhood home, I found this knife. Whether my older brother, who led me to read Fletcher, cut off the file, I don't know. I know I didn't. The SD's scales were cracked and falling off and the tools and even the split ring was missing, so immediately on finding it, I thought Fletcher himself must have come down the chimney and left it for me. I tossed the scales, sharpened the blade, oiled the joints, and now it lives on my keys just like it's supposed to. I always say it's such a piece of junk that if it got lost or taken I wouldn't care, but now I'm sentimental about it!

Long-winded, but that's the story of the skeletonized SD Classic.

Zieg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    rswanson, Jack Black, HWF and 2 others like this.
  14. HST

HST Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Anticipation made my knife of the week choice really simple.

BA679C23-9264-4338-B67F-AE49B69C7D83.jpeg

609B4466-81A7-4BE2-87C0-1738617D3C5A.jpeg

15. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Gary! I’m a happy camper! :thumbsup:
    Well put my friend! :eek: Thanks for the compliment! The Ebony Lambsfoot is special to me! :thumbsup:;)

I was Totin the Norfolk today! :)

[​IMG]

16. Atiger

Atiger Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 7, 2016
    Drifting back to carrying some old barlows for awhile, here's today's...

[​IMG]

17. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Interesting, I backpacked some in the 70's myself and vaguely recall the Vic reference. I do remember Fletcher taking every ounce off of everything he could. I had a Kelty D4, a dinosaur by current standards. I still have a Gerry down jacket and hood from that era somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Cambertree, Jack Black, HWF and 2 others like this.
  18. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    [​IMG]

19. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    [​IMG]
    It never rains but it pours. I ordered the Buck 110 LT on the 17h and it just arrived today. Eight days is pretty long nowadays but it was hung up in the mail along the way. It's a full 110 in a super light package. It weighs not much more than the nylon sheath it comes in. I'll probably never use the sheath for this knife as it's so light. As I have not been able to find a 110 EcoLite, this will have to suffice.

Zieg

20. hamsco

hamsco Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    I bought this knife almost two years ago, and Jordon put the EZ open mod on last fall. But today was first pocket time. Swayback
    CD47B204-6605-4476-BEB2-FBAB9556482F.jpeg Gent in Bonestag with CV blade. Very sharp and lightweight, but can do chores of larger frames.

Whetstone39, rswanson, JITDC and 11 others like this.