What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

The 881Y Stockman and 43 Oregon Trapper, along with my dog, who is now three years old, and belonged to my son, serve as reminders of him. So cherish those good memories, learn from the bad, and start making new ones.
Happy New Year, Porch friends!
View attachment 1046149
This is a profound sentiment to take us from 2018 into 2019. Very well said.

Being from Aiken, SC, I finally got my hands on a George Herron boot knife and a stag hunter by Harry George (Mr. Herron’s son-in-law). Both in mint condition from the printer who developed their catalogs. I’ll try to get pictures posted.

Stuart and @315, those are a couple of stellar stock knives you've posted!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congrats on the knife and the thoughtful neighbor, Stuart; both first-rate! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks, GT.

A Vic Cadet II is my Alox knife this week (thanks, Ken);

Yep, that's the one.

Inexpensive but a nice knife....

You took the words right out of my mouth and the knife right out of my hand, Jerry. I posted this yesterday (and it is still in my pocket):

mJrv2Ho.jpg

For tonight's champagne toast with Miss Norma:

GjPURAP.jpg

pzGGwEl.jpg

I finished last week with a cold and rained out deer hunt. I'll start the New Year tomorrow morning at O'Dark Hundred Hours with my son in a duck blind to greet a day that is predicted to be sunny and in the 60's. I just know that my luck will change for the better as the year "matures".

Anywho, Happy New year to all y'all and yours. May it be blessed, bountiful and beautiful.

- Stuart

Woke up and thought "hey man, why don't you pick a knife to carry all year. Not alone, but always". So without much thought, I grabbed my stag 81. Used it to cook some steak, taters and asparagus at the wifes request. And already thought "but id rather that knife be stainless, or my 48, or my Moore maker. Or the Ryu would make a great every day. Or my carbon fiber Davison. Or what about the new henckels". So, suffice it to say, I don't think I'll have a single knife I carry every day this year along with others. But the 81 did a heck of a job today!
58B73BF9-DFBC-436A-B84D-8AA9BAF545DB.jpeg

Just make sure you're carrying one (of whatever suits you) - short, neat article about us and our kind. OH

http://appalachianmagazine.com/2018...NPFSFss1ZjJSlf6zCWFyekwNBUQje5U_uD_IJlkxDZp0c

Case-6318-CV-Nine-dot-1981.jpg

Rick Bragg wrote a nice article in Southern Living. Rick is one of my favorites, he can spin a yarn.

https://www.southernliving.com/culture/old-pocket-knives
Great articles guys:thumbsup: The Piggly Wiggly ( a grocery store chain for non southerners:D) in the little town where we shopped actually set up kind of a shed for the old men to sit and whittle under at one end of the parking lot. My Dad used to take them blocks of eastern red cedar cut from our farm, and give to them. I'd tag along, when I was 10 I got my first real knife, a Vic Camper. I felt mighty big when I sat on a block of wood and pulled that knife out to whittle. Of course the old men asked to see my knife, and gave me praise on it and how I cut away from myself.Felt so proud to meet these men's approval, and that of my Dad for it was him that taught me how to handle that Vic safely. So it was I sat and whittled with the old men, swapped stories while we waited on the women while they was "a trade'n"in the Pig. Nowadays milinials go Koo Koo for coco puffs when they win some make believe knife in some online video game, I wouldn't trade that feeling of acceptance of real MEN for all the video games in the world.

Nice photo Dwight Fodderwing Fodderwing Happy New Year.
Thank you Alan and that stag is glorious.:)

Magnificent :)
Thank you my friend.:)

So nice, have to “Like” it twice.
Thank you Mike.:)

Dwight, that knife looks totally dedicated to cutting!
Thanks Gary. :)

Yes, I am Gary :D here is a shot of the gang chilling on the secondary hi-way to Banff.
10256372.jpg
Incredible photo Dave. Very sorry to hear about the grey.

Happy New Year to all of you fine folks!

Back