What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

When you get a chance...can you treat Rachell and I to an open shot ? Thank you !! Lovlies both but that pre 70s Robt Klaas must be seen :D:eek::thumbsup: She, of course, pines for the Winchester;)
Thanks for the comments and interest Gevonovich & r8shell. Also my apologies to you Rachell for opening my last remarks with "fellas", I obviously goofed there.:) Please forgive me.View attachment 1060998View attachment 1060999
Here's a couple shots in the open position

Sporting this duo today. Sadly the Boker is not mine, but a friend's. I offered to clean up the joints and sharpen her up. The perks being that I get to play with it for a few days :D.

pqkIYR8.jpg

Toted my new Spanish knife again today:
31934118007_7b071931b6_h.jpg

(Spanish knife, Mexican bull). Got this from @ArtesaniaHerreros from Albacete. A traditional folding knife from there, with polished deer stag antler point. I don't really need a bull to help me carry it. It is very lightweight. In fact, I just weighed these two knives:
31916137567_a95ec83749_h.jpg

The knives are very similar in size, but the Case trapper weighs twice as much (3.8 oz vs. 1.9 oz). I also toted the trapper tonight. Went to a BBQ restaurant. They always have dull butter knives or plastic knives, so I use my own. Figured the trapper would draw less attention than that wicked looking Spanish blade! ;)

(Spanish knife, Mexican bull). Got this from @ArtesaniaHerreros from Albacete. A traditional folding knife from there, with polished deer stag antler point. I don't really need a bull to help me carry it. It is very lightweight. In fact, I just weighed these two knives:

The knives are very similar in size, but the Case trapper weighs twice as much (3.8 oz vs. 1.9 oz). I also toted the trapper tonight. Went to a BBQ restaurant. They always have dull butter knives or plastic knives, so I use my own. Figured the trapper would draw less attention than that wicked looking Spanish blade! ;)
Yeah, pulling out that gorgeous navaja at the restaurant would have caused "spaghetti western" music to start playing and people grabbing their six-shooters.
Love the picture with the bull.

Sporting this duo today. Sadly the Boker is not mine, but a friend's. I offered to clean up the joints and sharpen her up. The perks being that I get to play with it for a few days :D.

pqkIYR8.jpg

Thanks Jack and Stuart! Had this little Robeson today.

All smashing specimens, Gents !!!

Nice Buzz ! you have inspired me to carry mine today. It's not as in good shape as yours but it has great walk and talk and is shaving sharp :thumbsup:

XAol4Dj.jpg

I’d never complain about having that in my pocket. It looks like it’s got some great history.

pqkIYR8.jpg

Really nice horn on that Wright! And you're correct, it is the secret FB group SFO. I joined the group too late to buy, but those guys LOVE trading like I used to as a kid. :) It was fun to acquire this one.

Catching up to this thread is a rush!

And for Old Friends Friday, an A.W.Wadsworth

That's a beauty, r8shell.

8 dot 6308 splitback, and 5 dot 6275 moose

I love those Cases, especially the well preserved younger ones (that often were abused before there time). Those are NICE.

Sgian Dubh for Burns' Night :thumbsup:

Having a dram (or so) of proper whisky In Immortal Memory of Robbie Burns and a nightcap of Drambuie for Bonnie Prince Charlie and Flora MacDonald (while I am not descended from Jacobites, Flora was well invested in my Scots forebears in the Cape Fear River area by the late 1770's). Miss Norma drew the line at haggis, so we had tatties, swede, and braised wild hog shanks.

Thanks Jack and Stuart! Had this little Robeson today.

Another old beauty, Nick. Just cranking the bar a little higher, eh?

Went to a BBQ restaurant. They always have dull butter knives or plastic knives, so I use my own.

I agree that "utensils" can be challenging at some BBQ joints, but I don't remember ever using a knife to eat BBQ, pulled, chopped, ribs, or brisket. Y'all's must be tough. I've used forks/spoons to butter corn bread and biscuits, though.

Thanks Stuart! :) I’ll be needing to give you a call one day next week! ;)

I'll be here, as will Loki.

- Stuart

I agree that "utensils" can be challenging at some BBQ joints, but I don't remember ever using a knife to eat BBQ, pulled, chopped, ribs, or brisket. Y'all's must be tough. I've used forks/spoons to butter corn bread and biscuits, though.
Not tough, but the brisket usually comes in long slices, and the sausage comes sometimes in links that need to be cut. I don't generally eat brisket or sausage with my hands. Except at Kreuz's in Lockhart. (They don't provide utensils!) Plus, I also cut up my jalapeños. Any excuse to use a good knife! ;)

Last edited:
Not tough, but the brisket usually comes in long slices, and the sausage comes sometimes in links that need to be cut. I don't generally eat brisket or sausage with my hands. Except at Krause's in Lockhart. (They don't provide utensils!) Plus, I also cut up my jalapeños. Any excuse to use a good knife! ;)

You make a good point - well taken. I don't hesitate to use a folding knife (if no fixed blade is available) to field dress or butcher a deer, rabbit, squirrel or duck, but I shudder at using one for dining or food prep. I may need to address my phobias, as the folder culinary users on the Porch are legion. I can't see the extra cleaning, but maybe I need to "get dirty". (I do eat brisket and sausage with the plastic forks, but each to his own.)
- Stuart

2jewizs.jpg
dcd34w.jpg

I tried to take a more artistic pic, knife this nice deserves some effort on my part;)

Great pics of a fine-looking knife :thumbsup:

Where I'm from "kilt" is a verb.
As in: " I kilt a deer last Friday"
;):thumbsup:

I think my neighbours must have heard me cackling at that! :D :thumbsup:

Multitasking in the kitchen today.
Rw84vGa.jpg

Beautiful baguettes, and a lovely knife too :) :thumbsup:

pqkIYR8.jpg

That's a stunning Barlow Dylan, and I love the luminescent horn on your Lambsfoot my friend :) :thumbsup:

Morning folks, hope everyone has a smashing weekend :) Here's me today :thumbsup:

SBxWdG6.jpg

Wxbye7a.jpg

9Gno4jm.jpg

Back