What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

I didn't know Case made a peanut in Cocobolo. :thumbsup: What year was your made?
Tang stamp says "1990" (had to take a photo and enlarge--my eyes ain't what they used to be). I believe it was an SFO, and "1912" is engraved on the bolster. That's all I know at present. It was a gift.
rWFdIPn.jpg

Love that Cattle knife Jeff:thumbsup:
Thanks, Paul.
It has a punch for the 4th blade, and the center liner is coined. Must have been Sears Best way back when. I think Camillus made it. Feel very lucky to have found it.View attachment 1133503
Nice whittler, and welcome.

If you are from NY perhaps you will like this schrade whittler made in ellenville NY and branded for craftsman. I am carrying it today. I believe it's one of my favorite users at this point.

View attachment 1133363

That’s good, because it’s one if my favorites to see in this thread.
Sometimes looking long and hard pays off, and sometimes we just get lucky!

That’s good, because it’s one if my favorites to see in this thread.
Sometimes looking long and hard pays off, and sometimes we just get lucky!

Thanks. This was one of those knives I had on the back burner (not that they show up real often) then it popped up and reminded me so I grabbed it at the chance.

That's a great cattle knife you have by the way.

A fine quartet. As I recall, you carry a fanny pack?
Bastian/ Bros Co/Rochester NYView attachment 1131615
View attachment 1131616View attachment 1131618
Thanks, Dwight. :) I do use a fanny pack to tote some of the 17-20 knives I keep handy each day. But I use it mostly "in transit"; when I get home it usually hangs on the oven door within reach of my seat at the kitchen table, and when I get to my office, I usually hang it on the armrest of my chair for the day. But I almost always wear a backpack when I "commute", so I'm thinking of just moving the "butt bag" contents to my relatively new and spacious backpack, or trading the "hip hamper" for something smaller like a soft case from an old point-n-shoot camera.
Your cast metal knives are ravishing!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you very much GT, great to see your regulars ;) :thumbsup:
qWk314Q.jpg

EioCcjI.jpg
Thanks, Jack. :) Wonderfully scenic shots of your SamDamLamb and Ancient! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

... I’m following Jack’s example this morning! :thumbsup:
29799595417_974a0890fd_b_d.jpg
Probably can't go wrong (knife-wise ;)) by doing that, Ron! Very attractive twosome! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I agree. There certainly is a strong resemblance between the old Kabar and your RR! Half Hawk, huh? Now I have a name to go with it!
Nice to see your 5 that you carry literally everyday. And, nice to see “literally” used properly for a change! “Literally” is misused nearly as often as is “Random” these days.
You're so right. Another word that is generally misused is "awesome." I think the Grand Canyon is awesome; some people use "awesome" in almost every sentence, it seems. ...
Knife content: got this in my pocket now:
eTQyQdh.jpg
Jeff, thanks for the confirmation on the KaBar/RR Halfhawk resemblance. :cool:
And I'll join you and Vince in decrying the misuse/overuse of "literal", "literally", and "awesome" (although I'm guilty of using a LOT of superlatives in this thread - at least I try to use lots of different ones :rolleyes:). I'm pretty confident about my use of "literally", but I'm less confident of my fast and loose usage of "EDC": I'll use it as a noun, an adjective, or a verb (or "verbish phrase" - in the example in question, I used EDC as a verb, but it probably really abbreviated the phrase "carry every day").
Anyway, your knives certainly inspire confidence: Jeff's classic workers are a pair of aces, and Vince's AC exemplifies both style and substance! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Part of becoming an old curmudgeon is never letting a teaching moment go to waste.
Speaking of teachable moments, I wondered if "old curmudgeon" was redundant (are there any young curmudgeons?). In the course of investigating, I discovered that no one seems sure of the origin of the word! :eek:

This exchange gave me a laugh. You guys are very* unique!
*(sic)
;)
I agree with @r8shell, and applaud her word choice!! :D

...We live in a different world, where children are taught that all knives are weapons and are bad. It was man's first tool, for crying out loud! Well, I'm raising my daughter right. She ALWAYS has at least one knife on her, and most of the time it's a traditional. :)
And you're to be praised for your peerless parenting, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Harvey, your venerable lambsfoot is sweeter than the donut it rests on! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

I really like your black Pioneer :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. :) Now I seem to be yearning for a black (or blue) Pioneer X. :rolleyes:

I like it quite a bit.
It lacks the heft I'm used to with my original 110, but that's okay because it's a nice change of pace for a knife this size to actually work well for pocket carry.
I have a very old Buck 110 one of my brothers gave me a couple of years ago, but almost never carry it because it's SO heavy (and ugly, IMHO :rolleyes:). :( But a lite version would definitely be more appealing. :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks GT, your quartet seems to have you prepared for anything. No I haven't used the new system on that particular scout just yet. The previous owner had a ................ unique approach to sharpening. I think I will need to even the main blade out with a file first :).

FlpO8WA.jpg

Thanks Alan and GT, yes the Blues were last in the league on January 3rd, and have gone on an epic run. Since clearly my knife pairing is the source of their luck :), I’ll be carrying only these 3 until they lose a game.
Your mojo is still working, Tom; Go, Blues! ;):thumbsup::cool:
That scout looks like it's been sharpened according to one of my "principles": the part of the blade that gets used the most must be sharpened the most! :rolleyes:

That is a quality quartet to carry, Gary. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks, Dean; I like to think it's a quartet with harmony! :):thumbsup:

For Monday...

Such a recognizable knife with the distinctive coloration! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Same old. Same old.

rXFnjyMh.jpg
A guy could happily grow old with that same old pair! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Thank you Gary! :) I haven’t listened to The Lovin’ Spoonful in a very long time my friend! ;)
I know what you mean, Ron. I've been trying to listen to some of the music from my youth lately, and decided I had pretty good taste! :rolleyes:

Spring weather finally has arrived!
egvLF6n.jpg
Superb jackknife, Dave; that 2-blade version is peachy! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

It came with it GT. :) same oak
Thanks for the info, Dwight. :)

- GT

That's looks like a fine knife for farm work, but the pliers really caught my eye. Those are definitely old school fencing pliers. Ours didn't have the double hammer faces, but had the hook opposite of the hammer. Many a time growing up after a storm or heavy snowfall,I'd go to the barn get the pail of staples(usually pronounced "steeples" by my Dad and the old timers before him) the pliers,and a bow saw. Pull off 10 feet or so of barbed wire roll it up in a hoop and walk the fence. Now the farm I grew up on was only 20 acres fenced, but being an Appalachian mountain farm,almost none of it was flat. Then we moved to a 180 acre farm, almost none of it was flat either, lol. Sometimes I hated it,but now I find myself wishing I was down in the holler walk'n the fence.
Edit:Forgot about the saw, whole point of walking it was to cut the fallen limbs and small trees out of the wire. Well that, and we had one ornery brood cow kinda the matriarch, that liked to go see what the neighbors cows was up to, barbed wire be damned.
You just described the same "Fencing Pliars " that I had used as a young man David and that is also how we pronounced staples . Thank you for the short trip down Memory Lane my friend .
Harry
This brings some memories. I’ll never forget the summer my dad (who also called staples “steeples”) decided that the fencing around our farm needed replacing. To this day I’ll
do almost anything to avoid having to use post hole diggers, and I still *despise* cedar trees (which it was my job to periodically cut out of the fence line).

I hated the job...but I miss it, too.
This fence tool belonged to my wife's grandpa, it's a 1936 model. Today riding shotgun is my Case half whittler.
fPG2FRN.jpg
David, Harry, @Frailer and skyhorse skyhorse , as a former farm kid, I could relate to your memories sparked by fencing pliers (we never said "steeples" though ;)). The same thing happened to me when some fencing pliers showed up in the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread a while back. I've also used a post hole digger more than I cared to, and spent a lot of spring and summer hours (especially if it was too drizzly or wet for field work) walking electric fences with what we called a "corn knife", cutting weeds away from the fence so they wouldn't short it out.

Something fun today...
Very cool, John; is that a custom folder?? ;):thumbsup::cool:

Unique knife and summery photo, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

I’ve been looking for a TEW Barlow for a while. I found this one hafted in Ironwood from the 40s. Half stop with an alligator open and close.
1D87E5BA-E005-444B-85B7-50C101131913_zpsloeblwa0.jpeg
Congrats on the grand TEW Barlow, Harvey! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

It's an overcast day so I will add some color to my ironwood Lambsfoot. ;)

View attachment 1132423
Happy to see you toting' the Totem again, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I'm totin' two cousins on this Twosday: a Böker 9023 equal end jack and a Primble 5733 senator pen (also an equal end), both 3 1/8" with sunk joints and from around the same period, early 1960s for the Böker and 1940-1968 for the Primble. Oh, and the Primble is Böker-made.

KoNbWV1.jpg

df7Ny9p.jpg

The Primble does have a bit of fancy work - the backs of the brass liners are coined.

o4Oy6Ru.jpg

- Stuart
Dynamite duo, Stuart; you had me at "sunk joints"! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Jeff, thanks for the confirmation on the KaBar/RR Halfhawk resemblance. :cool:
And I'll join you and Vince in decrying the misuse/overuse of "literal", "literally", and "awesome" (although I'm guilty of using a LOT of superlatives in this thread - at least I try to use lots of different ones :rolleyes:). I'm pretty confident about my use of "literally", but I'm less confident of my fast and loose usage of "EDC": I'll use it as a noun, an adjective, or a verb (or "verbish phrase" - in the example in question, I used EDC as a verb, but it probably really abbreviated the phrase "carry every day").
Anyway, your knives certainly inspire confidence: Jeff's classic workers are a pair of aces, and Vince's AC exemplifies both style and substance! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Thanks for the kind words about my stag lambsfoot, Gary.
I never use "EDC", although I know what it means. I don't think I have a literal EDC, as I rotate a small number of knives. Should I call them "MDC"? ;)

I have a very old Buck 110 one of my brothers gave me a couple of years ago, but almost never carry it because it's SO heavy (and ugly, IMHO :rolleyes:). :( But a lite version would definitely be more appealing. :cool::thumbsup::cool:
Just wondering why you consider it ugly, Gary. Is your specimen damaged or severely tarnished? I think the standard Buck 110 is extremely attractive, and would much prefer one to a lightweight plastic version. I would carry it in the leather belt sheath it comes with (or a custom leather sheath). I love hefty knives! Hence my frequent ("FDC"?) carry of a full-sized Case Trapper.

Last edited:
Back