1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm carrying this knife today; it has become one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Tang stamp says "1990" (had to take a photo and enlarge--my eyes ain't what they used to be). I believe it was an SFO, and "1912" is engraved on the bolster. That's all I know at present. It was a gift.
    [​IMG]

3. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
  4. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Todays carry is an inexpensive Rough Rider. Have a great day my friends !
    [​IMG]

5. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. kai76

kai76 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 5, 2009
  7. Dschal

Dschal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Time for the first batch of Rhubarb Schnapps!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Thanks, Paul.
    It has a punch for the 4th blade, and the center liner is coined. Must have been Sears Best way back when. I think Camillus made it. Feel very lucky to have found it. CEF89032-17BC-4241-9526-FD65B42037BE.jpeg
    That’s good, because it’s one if my favorites to see in this thread.
    Sometimes looking long and hard pays off, and sometimes we just get lucky!

Old Hunter, 315, jkwithawave and 21 others like this.
  9. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
    A Case Barehead today

[​IMG]

10. WolfyW

WolfyW

Oct 28, 2017
    Peanut liberates another one from its trappings....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old Hunter, 315, jkwithawave and 22 others like this.
  11. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Thanks. This was one of those knives I had on the back burner (not that they show up real often) then it popped up and reminded me so I grabbed it at the chance.

That's a great cattle knife you have by the way.

Amir Fleschwund likes this.
  12. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    :cool::thumbsup:

13. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks, Dwight. :) I do use a fanny pack to tote some of the 17-20 knives I keep handy each day. But I use it mostly "in transit"; when I get home it usually hangs on the oven door within reach of my seat at the kitchen table, and when I get to my office, I usually hang it on the armrest of my chair for the day. But I almost always wear a backpack when I "commute", so I'm thinking of just moving the "butt bag" contents to my relatively new and spacious backpack, or trading the "hip hamper" for something smaller like a soft case from an old point-n-shoot camera.
    Your cast metal knives are ravishing!! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :) Wonderfully scenic shots of your SamDamLamb and Ancient! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Probably can't go wrong (knife-wise ;)) by doing that, Ron! Very attractive twosome! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Jeff, thanks for the confirmation on the KaBar/RR Halfhawk resemblance. :cool:
    And I'll join you and Vince in decrying the misuse/overuse of "literal", "literally", and "awesome" (although I'm guilty of using a LOT of superlatives in this thread - at least I try to use lots of different ones :rolleyes:). I'm pretty confident about my use of "literally", but I'm less confident of my fast and loose usage of "EDC": I'll use it as a noun, an adjective, or a verb (or "verbish phrase" - in the example in question, I used EDC as a verb, but it probably really abbreviated the phrase "carry every day").
    Anyway, your knives certainly inspire confidence: Jeff's classic workers are a pair of aces, and Vince's AC exemplifies both style and substance! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Speaking of teachable moments, I wondered if "old curmudgeon" was redundant (are there any young curmudgeons?). In the course of investigating, I discovered that no one seems sure of the origin of the word! :eek:

I agree with @r8shell, and applaud her word choice!! :D

And you're to be praised for your peerless parenting, Vince! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Harvey, your venerable lambsfoot is sweeter than the donut it rests on! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks, Jack. :) Now I seem to be yearning for a black (or blue) Pioneer X. :rolleyes:

I have a very old Buck 110 one of my brothers gave me a couple of years ago, but almost never carry it because it's SO heavy (and ugly, IMHO :rolleyes:). :( But a lite version would definitely be more appealing. :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Your mojo is still working, Tom; Go, Blues! ;):thumbsup::cool:
    That scout looks like it's been sharpened according to one of my "principles": the part of the blade that gets used the most must be sharpened the most! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Dean; I like to think it's a quartet with harmony! :):thumbsup:

Such a recognizable knife with the distinctive coloration! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

A guy could happily grow old with that same old pair! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I know what you mean, Ron. I've been trying to listen to some of the music from my youth lately, and decided I had pretty good taste! :rolleyes:

Superb jackknife, Dave; that 2-blade version is peachy! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, Dwight. :)

- GT

TFBraden, dc50, cigarrodog and 7 others like this.
  14. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    David, Harry, @Frailer and @skyhorse , as a former farm kid, I could relate to your memories sparked by fencing pliers (we never said "steeples" though ;)). The same thing happened to me when some fencing pliers showed up in the Guardians of the Lambsfoot thread a while back. I've also used a post hole digger more than I cared to, and spent a lot of spring and summer hours (especially if it was too drizzly or wet for field work) walking electric fences with what we called a "corn knife", cutting weeds away from the fence so they wouldn't short it out.

Very cool, John; is that a custom folder?? ;):thumbsup::cool:

Unique knife and summery photo, Dean! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the grand TEW Barlow, Harvey! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Happy to see you toting' the Totem again, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Dynamite duo, Stuart; you had me at "sunk joints"! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Duckdog, dc50, cigarrodog and 8 others like this.
  15. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Thanks Tom. :) Winning streak or not, I don't ever tire of seeing that trio!

Thank you GT!

cigarrodog likes this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Lol... It should be considered a custom, since it makes me feel so good to carry it. Best $4 I've ever spent on a knife. :D

17. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Thanks for the kind words about my stag lambsfoot, Gary.
    I never use "EDC", although I know what it means. I don't think I have a literal EDC, as I rotate a small number of knives. Should I call them "MDC"? ;)

18. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Just wondering why you consider it ugly, Gary. Is your specimen damaged or severely tarnished? I think the standard Buck 110 is extremely attractive, and would much prefer one to a lightweight plastic version. I would carry it in the leather belt sheath it comes with (or a custom leather sheath). I love hefty knives! Hence my frequent ("FDC"?) carry of a full-sized Case Trapper.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Fodderwing likes this.
  19. Signalprick

Signalprick Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2009
    The TIW #66 in green canvas micarta has been by far my favorite GEC. Well I think it just met its match! From tube straight to my pocket. Instant love for me with this one.
    20190523_150228.jpg

20. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Thank you for your kind comments, Gary. :)