1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Apr 8, 2008.

1. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017
  2. dc50

dc50 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2006
    A Wright Barlow Today :)
    Barlow.JPG

3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    "Yum, yum!", as the cast of Hee-Haw would reply when Grandpa told what was for supper!

4. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I caught the first image as the knife was falling, fortunately into the boat o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, Duckdog, Pinemoon and 27 others like this.
  5. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    A Zorro Barlow...How Cool, Jack.

[​IMG]

6. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Mrs. Fleschwund leaned over and said “wow-your guitar sounded great this morning”.

I should go buy a lottery ticket or something. 99063ECE-6001-43F7-80CA-02E48464D1D0.jpeg

7. kai76

kai76

Jun 5, 2009
  8. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Beautiful image!

Fodderwing, Half/Stop, dc50 and 2 others like this.
  9. RDaneel

RDaneel Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 23, 2000
    Sunday carry - 1970 Case.

[​IMG]

10. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 2001
    My biggest slipjoint in my pocket today.

[​IMG]

11. kai76

kai76

Jun 5, 2009
    Thank you Harvey!

cigarrodog likes this.
  12. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I left the patina on the blade when I cleaned it up because I like blade patina, but I was trying to minimize it on the scales. I guess I should just embrace it all.

Yes, I’m loving it as a work knife. Great size and takes a great edge. It will be even handier with the screwdriver blade, but I’ve left those out for now just trying to simplify things while I’m learning.

Amir Fleschwund likes this.
  13. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    It's still a great image :) Well done, and I'm glad you didn't lose your knife! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey, I'd wanted one for ages, it was a giveaway gift from Tom @Half/Stop :) When it's not in my pocket, it sits on my desk :) :thumbsup:

That is an outstanding photo my friend :thumbsup:

cigarrodog, 315, dc50 and 2 others like this.
  14. HFinn

HFinn

Sep 6, 2012
    I took a four day trip to the cottage and had these two with me + the vic Pioneer, which was very handy doing some minor repairs on the roof. Both of these are sold by Brisa, I have really no idea where they are actually made. Both are fine knives with some reservations.

The Elver (the smaller one with scandi edge) is a good allround bush tool. I use it for batoning firewood with confidence. The blade is quite stout, the 3,5 mm spine and full sceletonized tang is more than enough to handle heavy work. With the low scandi grind it is not the best for whittling. I have some Tommi-puukkos that shine in that with their high scandi grind. For rough work the Elver is really good and with the compact size (85 mm blade, overall 190) it is easy to carry, most of the time I just drop in my pocket.

The Brisa Nessmuk has also scandi grind. On the manufacturers page they say it has a secondary bevel, but I have yet to notice it (it is possible I have sharpened it away or convexed it, I use wet sandpaper on wood/leather strop). It is made to work as as slicer, for chopping they recommend adding a secondary bevel. The blade is 125 mm long, which makes it a good all round tool, but I have some mixed feelings about this knife I made of a kit. It does slice nicely, but working with foodstuffs I have noticed that the scandi grind leaves something to be desired. With a full flat grind this would be remarkable. Guess you just can't get everything in the same knife. I would not hesitate to take this with me to hiking trips, I am sure it would handle anything I want to do while not trying anything really stupid.

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, Duckdog, RDaneel and 19 others like this.
  15. Amir Fleschwund

Amir Fleschwund Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2008
    We had an old Boston Terrier who would find a ray of sunshine just like that.

JOELSM, Laurelbb, kai76 and 2 others like this.
  16. Whetstone39

Whetstone39 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2013
    My previous trip has run out of luck, as the Blues endured a 7-2 whuppin’ last night. Since it is clearly my knives that caused the loss, and not undisciplined play, with poor passing, lousy checking and terrible defense that is the culprit :), I am carrying a new set of Blues themed knives today.

Bark River City Knife in white bone, a dark blue pioneer and an old Queen Barlow in yellow.

[​IMG]

17. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Couple of championship-caliber stag folders, Gary!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Thanks for the pro tip. :):thumbsup:

Vince, I think Tom, David, and I are all thinking of the "spell out the name" version of "Gloria", written by Van Morrison (and Them), although as a Midwest kid, I'm actually most familiar with the Shadows of Knight cover of the song that WLS in Chicago played because censors considered the original to have an unacceptable line in the lyrics. I think the Patti Smith version has essentially the same "spelling chorus", but the verses tell a much different story than the original.
    I hadn't even considered all the Latin religious songs with "Gloria" in the their titles. I like some of those (most notably the Christmas song "Angels We Have Heard On High") more than the secular version, but they're probably unlikely to be used to fire up hockey fans. :D
    Sorry to hear the result of Saturday's game, Tom. :( What blue knife do you still have left?

Thanks for the Joker joy, Harvey & Nick & Jack. :)
    Jack, that's quite a Fearsome Foursome you grabbed for your hike! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I wonder if you'd get satisfaction if you carried those 4 in to see your internet service provider. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Jeff, I don't expect to ever own all my favorites, and I'm perfectly happy just admiring them from afar. :thumbsup:;):D

That certainly sounds like a special gift, Steve! :):thumbsup::cool:
    Thanks for the links about a 1951 Soldier! :thumbsup::cool::cool: I've spent plenty of time at SAKwiki, but never thought to search it for a BY Soldier. :eek::rolleyes:

Those Sway Backs are deservedly-celebrated classics, John and Dean!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the fantastic mod! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Stellar stag pair, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I could look at that one until the cows come home! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for humoring me, Dean! :cool::cool::)

You gotta be proud of how that pair turned out, Jeff! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

That's a winner, ED; I agree with Paul's assessment of that series! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Y:eek:WZA, Dwight!! That one sure has no flies on it ... well, you know what I mean! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pleasing pair, Ron, especially the color on the covers of the 73! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Congrats on the Bower Daddy Barlow, Harry! :cool::thumbsup::cool: Do you have a standard-size Bower Barlow, too? (I know I've seen them here before.)

Dynamite diversity in that trio, Vince! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Out of the night,
    When the full moon is bright! :thumbsup::cool::p

Memorable knife, Alan!! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Duckdog, RDaneel, mitch4ging and 13 others like this.
  18. jnevill

jnevill

Mar 8, 2008
    That’s a beauty, NYK Co?

kai76 and Old Engineer like this.
  19. jnevill

jnevill

Mar 8, 2008
    THAT is a piece of stag with character!

Laurelbb and Travman like this.
  20. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member