What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Advantageous golden pair of kale samplers, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Jack, this thread seems to mark the demise of your inspired and inspiring idea, as the most recent winner apparently just kept everything. :(
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...inuing-saga-mrknife-box-o-knives-gaw.1629707/
But @Hickory n steel decided to reboot the tradition:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-winner-chosen.1655095/
It's gone through at least a couple of rounds, and IIRC the current state of affairs is reflected here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-2.1658506/page-3
- GT

Thanks professor, I was curious of its whereabouts. I suppose all good things come to an end. Glad to see a new one has begun tho

I'm headed out for a quick camping trip tonight, just for the weekend, testing my new G-10 SwissTank on a Vic belt hanger.

Gon0QAEh.jpg

This is one of two Victorinox SwissChamps that will be the focus of activities this summer. I'm doing two 2-week long camping trips into the Adirondacks with my daughter in July and August. The overall challenge of the trips will be to use the SwissChamps for everything that needs to be done, and then journaling all of our adventures with them. Abby is very excited. Every kid loves a huge Swiss Army Knife with a billion little interesting gadgets. She's also a budding artist, and is looking forward to illustrating all of the uses we find for the tools.

After much consideration, I decided on vintage SwissChamps with replacement scales for the summer challenge. The nylon and glass parts on the vintage models seem to be far more resistant to DEET-based insect repellents than newer models with cheaper plastic parts. For the same reason, the red cellidor "plus scales" are being replaced with G-10 and nylon scales.

I almost felt bad about modifying this knife. It was a mint red-scaled SwissChamp, purchased from the original owner, who still had the receipt from July of 1991. It would have been a great collection item. But I pulled it out of the mailbox, admired it and took a couple of pictures, and began modding it, not a half hour after it arrived.

P0hcHTkh.jpg

7REjiyGh.jpg

Fortunately, I'm very pleased with how the SwissTank turned out. I hand sanded the highly textured scales to give it more of a worn vintage glossy appearance. Now it has this cool retro WW2 kind of look to it. It matches my father-in-law's old BSA whistle perfectly.

InNtw9qh.jpg

oO5cVfmh.jpg
Beautifully done, Sir :)
The cross looks factory all the way.
Great idea about the knife journal while camping. Hope you share some here with us. :thumbsup:

Advantageous golden pair of kale samplers, Jeff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Bodacious bevel on that blade, John! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Capable coffee Case copperhead and exquisite ebony lambsfoot, Ron! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

I sure admire your distinctive taste in desirable jigged bone covers, Steve! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Flawless jigged bone and felicitous saw cut bone, Dylan – a salubrious Study in Scarlet! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

José, that gallant, groovy knife arrived right on time! :thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Congrats on a once-in-a-lifetime (so far ;)) experience, Tom! I'm honored to see that handsome, helpful, historic hockey trio one more time! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jack, this thread seems to mark the demise of your inspired and inspiring idea, as the most recent winner apparently just kept everything. :(
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...inuing-saga-mrknife-box-o-knives-gaw.1629707/
But @Hickory n steel decided to reboot the tradition:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-winner-chosen.1655095/
It's gone through at least a couple of rounds, and IIRC the current state of affairs is reflected here:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/traditional-box-gaw-2.1658506/page-3

Thanks for the commendations on my Case carries, Dean & Stuart & Nick. :)

Those two blues are not too blue, but true blue, Dean! ;):cool::cool:

Gargantuan goodness, Stuart, from a time when giants walked the face of the Earth!! :eek::thumbsup::cool:

That jaw-dropping jewel is the Catt's meow, Nick!! :cool::cool::)

Your information is impressive, intriguing, and influential, Harry! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup: Once I've mastered sharpening my knives, I want to learn how to cut and shake pastry to minimize the calories! :D

I'll bet you're right, Vince. Some of those old boys would have certainly enjoyed an old boys' knife like your black beauty! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

A-OK FOB, FBC! :cool::cool::thumbsup::) I really enjoy your ground-level shots, but am impressed by the flexibility you must exhibit to take them! :eek::D

Thanks, Jack. :) Pair of potent, premium patterns there, not for the pusillanimous! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:;)

Man, you are posting some vibrant vintage pairs this week, sir! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Kudos on the killer kickin' back pic, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I can just imagine you with your cool Case Barlow and your cold case of Corona. Summer time, and the livin' is easy! :D:thumbsup::cool:

Congrats on the outstanding orange Alox Cadet, Harvey! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Sweeter than that candy, and it won't stick to your teeth! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Perfect plans for a father-daughter project, Buzz! :cool::thumbsup::)
Never thought about repellent resistance of knife materials before. :eek:

- GT
Thank you Sir. Your Rough Riders are smooth as silk.

D Duckdog Thank you Stuart.

Markeologist Markeologist It’s a cadet.

Last edited:
Heading out to see my oldest daughter graduate from Eastern Washington University tomorrow. Then it is on to Montana to see my granddad, who if he is still alive by then, will be 102 in August. I have a Victorinox Swiss Army knife in the car, as always but I’m going to take the 66 with me for the entire trip.

29-E57538-6-ADD-4183-B4-B4-2791-C8-E46001.jpg

Have a good trip Jim. Can't ever go wrong with a 66; I put one in my pocket after work.

Thanks Dwight, great-looking Barlow, and it's nice to see you with your feet up
Thank you much Jack!

Love the kick back with the Case image and what a fine knife indeed !! And...not that I am aware of...and don't want to find out...lol. Must resist
Then do not go there for smitten you will be. :D

Tempted by the titillating toothpicks recently released from Titusville and posted in this thread, I promptly went downstairs to the knife piles and pocketed this Queen City pair for today's toothsome twosome tote.

Hhk4zkG.jpg

PzVkLp8.jpg

KxMxcRs.jpg

Only the larger one (1925-1932) is from the original Queen City era; the smaller one is from 2016.

- Stuart
Toothsome indeed Stuart. Magnifique!

Kudos on the killer kickin' back pic, Dwight! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I can just imagine you with your cool Case Barlow and your cold case of Corona. Summer time, and the livin' is easy!
Thanks GT! We have had very nice "easy livin'" so far this summer. The humidity hasn't reared its ugly head yet. :eek:

Thank you, fellas, for the wonderful compliments, they are always appreciated.

There is certainly nothing to forgive, Harry! (errr, I mean, Ron :D) I've certainly been guilty of the same mishap, on more than one occasion, I am sure. It gave me a good chuckle.

Continuing with my Lamb and Barlow pairings today. Blade shape redundancy... But I lack a black clad Barlow with a different blade shape. Makes for a devilishly handsome pair, all the same.

6BOfn6X.jpg
That's some rich ebony Dylan. Looks knee deep luxurious.

Lambsfoot of the Week is Black Jack, a 2018 Guardians ebony
Beautiful ebony lamb GT.

One is a Rough Rider black lip pearl gunboat canoe that arrived last week
Wow! That is a fancy rig. Looks like a Mardi Gras float! :cool:

New arrival! And in my pocket while I'm "gardening"....;)
View attachment 1144831
What a beauty Taylor. Gonna get one of those some day. :)

Hummingbird Churchill and Pioneer today. I'm really digging the 35 frame. My first was the Rover. I like the awl on it, very unique and the spear point blade is nice just not my favorite shape. Plus its a bit redundant as I’ve been carrying the SAK just about everyday since i got it. I was close to a maroon micarta Churchill, but a bit too slow. Found this one and decided to go for it. I was unsure about the acrylic, but I dig the frame and blades.

Happily surprised by this thing! It is stunning in the sun. Shiny and sparkly with more depth to the covers than I would have guessed.

Back